Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2022, 10:23 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Both Schwab and Merrill Edge Web sites offer to track and display everything for me if I give them all my login infos to the other financial sites. I don't go to Vanguard often to know if they offer the same.

Nope. Not doing that.

I think they want to know how much money I keep outside of their brokerage, so that they can nag me, "Come one, send it all over to us so you have it all in one place, and in our good hands".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2022, 10:30 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Spreadsheet!

It'll keep you sharp running all those numbers - and at $35/month (tax free) that's a pretty good salary for doing something you love - looking after your own money.
My rule is if I can't do something on one tab or a spreadsheet, I need to simplify whatever it is I'm trying to represent. Mostly I've been able to do that.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:43 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Both Schwab and Merrill Edge Web sites offer to track and display everything for me if I give them all my login infos to the other financial sites. I don't go to Vanguard often to know if they offer the same.

Nope. Not doing that.

I think they want to know how much money I keep outside of their brokerage, so that they can nag me, "Come one, send it all over to us so you have it all in one place, and in our good hands".
It's just one of life's tradeoffs. I absolutely will not deliberately upload portfolio information to any of the multitude of sites that offer to monitor, provide tools, etc. Including Morningstar. I worry that Quicken may be taking it without permission. Regardless, too much potential for misuse, hacking, etc.

But I did decide to trust Schwab and nothing bad or irritating has come from it. My Schwab guy knows me pretty well and he may be heading off any sales forays, but if so he is doing a good job.

Convenience with value hard to measure versus risk that's hard to estimate. Definitely a case where different folks will come to different decisions.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:49 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
It's just one of life's tradeoffs. I absolutely will not deliberately upload portfolio information to any of the multitude of sites that offer to monitor, provide tools, etc. Including Morningstar. I worry that Quicken may be taking it without permission. Regardless, too much potential for misuse, hacking, etc.

But I did decide to trust Schwab and nothing bad or irritating has come from it. My Schwab guy knows me pretty well and he may be heading off any sales forays, but if so he is doing a good job.

Convenience with value hard to measure versus risk that's hard to estimate. Definitely a case where different folks will come to different decisions.
I already use Quicken to provide a consolidated view of my financial affairs. Letting a Web site having access to my accounts does not give me any more info, plus they do not provide the same features as I have with Quicken.

I have resigned to paying a yearly ransom to Quicken, so there's no need to complicate things more with another lesser tool.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:06 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post

Here, I thought I was the only one who questions how my data will be used (and who it will be shared with.) (I kinda gave up over on the cell phone forum.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:32 PM   #26

Does this new situation apply only to Morningstar's portfolio manager function or is the entire site going dark to non-paying members. I'm signed in but not getting any messages. The only thing I ever use there other than reading articles is the chart feature that gives total returns on mutual funds not just share price. That kind of info is hard to get online. Most chart places just throw current price at you.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:21 AM   #27

I appreciated the convenience of having Morningstar track my investments on a spread sheet with daily updates but now that they are going to charge for that convenience I plan on removing all my information from the site if I can. I have only done a cursory look at TD Ameritrade/Schwab but it appears they do the same thing for me (at least for the individual stocks I purchased through them). A closer look will be done in a few days. The only other investments I have are tIRAs and Roth IRAs at Vanguard that I can easily look up at any time. If TD Ameritrade will accept the IRAs to also track I may include those too. Either way I won't need Morningstar anymore but Thank you to them for the past X years.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:05 AM   #28

I've used the free Morningstar portfolio tracker for years and it's great for that quick and dirty spot check to how much you made or lost on any single day. I've also used it for hypothetical portfolios. With that said, I understand the reason Morningstar wants to monetize the feature but at $35 per month it is simply not a good value.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:43 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I appreciated the convenience of having Morningstar track my investments on a spread sheet with daily updates but now that they are going to charge for that convenience I plan on removing all my information from the site if I can. I have only done a cursory look at TD Ameritrade/Schwab but it appears they do the same thing for me (at least for the individual stocks I purchased through them). A closer look will be done in a few days. The only other investments I have are tIRAs and Roth IRAs at Vanguard that I can easily look up at any time. If TD Ameritrade will accept the IRAs to also track I may include those too. Either way I won't need Morningstar anymore but Thank you to them for the past X years.

Cheers!
I think you know this, but Schwab is absorbing TDAmeritrade. Before committing to the TD platform I'd suggest that you find out from Schwab whether that will continue to be offered for the long term. (I suspect not.) You may better off going directly to the Schwab platform to avoid a conversion in the near future. They will offer the argument that any conversion will be seamless and error free. That has to be the theory. The practice, however, may be different.

I did find this: https://www.investmentnews.com/schwa...in-2022-213048
Old 06-25-2022, 10:51 AM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

I use a spreadsheet as well. Here’s a good place to start with creating your own in the free Google Sheets.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Using_a_spreadsheet_to_maintain_a_portfolio
nassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:19 AM   #31

Quote:

Nope. Not doing that.

I use Personal Capital for that...it's easy to ignore their marketing.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:45 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
I use Personal Capital for that...it's easy to ignore their marketing.
But what are they doing with your data? To the extent anyone can be trusted I trust Schwab to not be selling my information because it is not in their best interest to do so. Same situation for most major brokers. Third party sites IMO are a different situation; selling customer data can be a major revenue source for them.

It has been demonstrated many times that individuals can be identified by companies that buy and combine pieces of "anonymous" data like census tract, age, sex, race, income, car age and model, etc. Also public record data like auto registrations and professional licenses. From what I have seen it’s a process of elimination.
Old 06-28-2022, 05:29 PM   #33
Confused about dryer sheets

I use Gnucash which is free. It runs on Windows, Apple, Linux. It can retrieve stock prices and crypto prices. I converted from Quicken to Gnucash.
tydeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
I have not done this, but my understanding is that you can set up an Excel spreadsheet or a Googlesheets spreadsheet that will import your stock prices: https://www.morningbrew.com/money-sc...e-stock-prices
Google sheets is what I have used every since Yahoo "enhanced" (i.e. made worthless) several years ago.
Better than any other portfolio tracker I tried. You can set it up how you want instead of being forced into what *they* think you should want.
rayvt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:10 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Is it that much, $35/month?

Quicken tracks my expenses and my investable assets across two dozen accounts, brokerage and banking too. And it costs me $52/year, regular price before any sales.

Maybe it was less due to the sales when I bought. Logged into my Amazon account, and it said there was a $20.80 coupon applied, but did not say specifically whether it came from Quicken or some other Amazon kickbacks that I happened to apply on that order. I think it came from Quicken. My memory is not that good anymore, particularly for a $20 item.
Mint which is from Quicken, I believe can aggregate all your accounts and track spending too and is free
Old 06-28-2022, 10:41 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got this too. I may switch to Yahoo but right now I am still seeing the portfolio I built.
Or I may just try to do without this for a while. I tend to check my net worth too often. Fortunately, I do not react when the market fluctuates and I did NOT link that portfolio to any of my accounts (I just update manually)
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:15 AM   #37

You can't create portfolios for tracking for obvious reasons, but I use the Morningstar version for libraries, which is accessible with a digital account at many local libraries. Pretty much all of the Morningstar tools are there and it's free.

For tracking my portfolio itself, I simply use a spreadsheet, which I've been doing since 2004 or so. After logging into my account it takes me about 5 minutes to update my data, which also monitors my overall AA and flags for any rebalancing opportunities. Part of my "me time" in the early morning hours before anybody else gets up.

I also use some of the data tools in Excel under Data->Get Data From web where I grab YTD returns of various funds from WSJ's website. Occasionally some fund I monitor doesn't update on the WSJ website, but that usually clears up in a day or so.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:24 AM   #38
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I just use google sheets, and built my own spreadsheet... I realize YMMV if you have non-equity assets without common tickers that won't be pulled in.

For bank accounts I just update them one a month via logging into client and pasting the balance into the google sheet. It's not great but it works.
I am doing the same, but with an "add on" called "mojito" that grabs data automatically from mint.com

Mojito is free as well as mint. I have my whole finance history since 12 years ago.
It might need some tweeking ( like filling blank data) but is very helpful.
Also you can customize it google sheets with your own graphs
winpplui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:28 AM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by winpplui View Post
I am doing the same, but with an "add on" called "mojito" that grabs data automatically from mint.com

Mojito is free as well as mint. I have my whole finance history since 12 years ago.
It might need some tweeking ( like filling blank data) but is very helpful.
Also you can customize it google sheets with your own graphs
If anyone is interested, link is http://b3devs.blogspot.com/
winpplui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:38 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used Quicken "forever" - maybe back in the MS-DOS days (?) I gladly pay their yearly subscription fee because I get value from it. No annoying ads - they use the revenue to keep updating and improving the product.
FLJim is offline   Reply With Quote