Mortgage Loan Rates

BobFromRox

Confused about dryer sheets
Good Morning.

Enjoy reading all the posts on ER. Would you lock a interest rate on a mortgage loan or let it float? Settlement date is 11/17/14. Current rate on a 15 year conventional mortgage is 3.5%

Thanks for all replies.

I would lock it in but that's coming from a pretty risk-averse person. I'd rather know what I have (especially when it's an historically low interest rate) vs. gamble for something better to possibly end of up something worse. I just know I'd be mad if rates went up and I could have locked in a lower rate... but I don't think I'd be as mad if I locked in the rate and rates went down. Same reason why I have a moderate allocation portfolio instead of an aggressive growth portfolio.

If you'll be there five years or more d definitely lock in. You can always refi if rates drop, but if they rise you'll be SOL.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Although rates look like they are currently dropping, it's not by a whole lot, and I would think there is still a risk of rising rates at any time.

Track Economic Index Trends and Graph Financial Industry Rates

I'd probably lock just because it's practically standard and free for a short term. But I wouldn't worry a whole lot if I had to let it float.

ETA: If you mean over the life of a loan, I'd only go fixed rate.

just locked yesterday at 4.125. Plan on paying her off in 18yrs with extra principle payments as often as it makes sense. Congrats to your rate lock. I would presume we are both close to closing....mine is Oct 30th.

No brainer. Lock in the 15yr. Many years ago, I paid, 13% for a home
:greetings10:
mortgage. (prices of homes were of course, much lower then).

If you have excess cash, make a few extra payments, and turn the 15yr into a shorter one. (save a lot on interest).:greetings10:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom