Join Early Retirement Today

Moshe Milevsky recommends new VAs
Old 09-16-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Moshe Milevsky recommends new VAs

What do you think about these new VAs?

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retir...nt-preparation
lightwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The relevant part of the interview, which BTW, is quite interesting.
Note to OP: please provide some commentary or a snippet when linking an article. Thanks!
Q. How do you hedge those risks?
A. No one kind of investment works against all three. So you need to diversify among investment products, just as you need to diversify among stocks and bonds and so on. This matters more than most people think.
Q. What investment products are we talking about?
A. One category is pensions or annuities, typically a fixed monthly check that an insurance company or pension fund guarantees to keep sending you as long as you live. That's a great solution to longevity risk.
But it's not much help against inflation, which will erode the value of any fixed payment over time. So you also need the traditional mutual fund portfolio that you manage and from which you withdraw funds over an extended period. You can choose high-returning assets like stock funds, which you'd expect to stay ahead of inflation over time.
On the other hand, those are exactly the assets that leave you vulnerable to a market downturn early in your retirement. That's where the third category comes in: the new generation of variable annuities with living benefits. They essentially promise you some upside linked to the stock market but at the same time guarantee you a minimum income for the rest of your life, regardless of when a bear market lands during your retirement.
Q. Your own research years ago showed variable annuities to be way overpriced for the benefits they provided. What changed your mind?
A. If today's variable annuities looked like the product of the same name 10 years ago, I'd still be opposed to them. They used to promise to make up losses only if you died while the market was down.
But the new ones deliver benefits you can claim while you're still alive. And the protection they provide against market losses would be very expensive if you tried to buy it some other way - say, in the options market.
So I used to be something of a crusader against variable annuities, but now I fall back on what the economist John Maynard Keynes said when someone challenged him for supposedly flip-flopping. "When the facts change," he said, "I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
So I used to be something of a crusader against variable annuities, but now I fall back on what the economist John Maynard Keynes said when someone challenged him for supposedly flip-flopping. "When the facts change," he said, "I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"[/I]
Gosh, I was hoping to hear about an actual financial analysis proving that they were cheaper and didn't have such high commissions. Instead it reads more like Ben Stein than Moshe Milevsky...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Gosh, I was hoping to hear about an actual financial analysis proving that they were cheaper and didn't have such high commissions. Instead it reads more like Ben Stein than Moshe Milevsky...
He did a 10 pager (single spaced) with lots of fancy equations for the June edition of the Financial Analyst Journal. I'd post it here but it's subscription only.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
He did a 10 pager (single spaced) with lots of fancy equations for the June edition of the Financial Analyst Journal. I'd post it here but it's subscription only.
Well, thank goodness, I thought we had us another one o' them there annuity shills...

Milevsky and Taleb should collaborate.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 09-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Well, thank goodness, I thought we had us another one o' them there annuity shills...

Milevsky and Taleb should collaborate.

Oh no, I should send this article to you. Ole Moshe makes the VA sound more complicated than a nuclear reactor.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Oh no, I should send this article to you. Ole Moshe makes the VA sound more complicated than a nuclear reactor.
Nords (underscore) Nords (at) Hotmail (dot) com... thanks!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

What is "some upside?" The total return of the S&P 500 minus 3% in fees?
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote