Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Immature ejaculation...

(Sorry, but since the topic had finally devolved to talking about thingys...)

The two most reliable vehicles I've owned in 37 years of driving: a 1970 VW bug, and a 1981 Toyotta Corolla.

I bought a Chevy "work truck" in 1993. I'm talkin' rubber floor mats and no radio... The V6 was adequate for everyday use, but under powered for pulling my 18' boat. Had to replace motor mounts twice (musta've been that massive torque...), starter twice, and battery twice. At eight years and 108,000 miles, the tailpipe broke off, and some electronic thingy (the other kind) in the "distributor" went haywire, and had to be replaced (coupla hundred bucks later...). Transmission would occasionally slip inexplicably, but never died. After about three problems in a row, I traded it for a 2000 Chevy Silverado, which has had no repairs, breakdowns, or replacements (not even battery or brake pads) in nearly eight years, albeit only 83,000 miles.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by two4theroad View Post
Gee Newguy,
Just because your SO wants a BIG THINGY and can't seem to find one does not mean you have to get all sensitive about it and attack the poor car industry....

Once again, the thread drift is like a cigarette boat at full throttle...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
SUV Crossovers?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #43
Confused about dryer sheets

SUV Crossovers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
America-s-Most-Overpriced-Vehicles- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

Not a surpise here, 13 are American made SUV or Trucks and one sedan. 1 Nissan and a Mazda Ford re badge.

Go ahead buy one. No wonder american car makers are going the way of the DODO!
See Subaru releases first photos of all-new 2009 Forester crossover SUV - AutoMotoPortal.com

My response:

I was intrigued by your comment:

>> The new-generation 2009 model projects a bolder, more SUV-like design and making a major leap in safety technology, comfort, refinement and driving dynamics. <<

Should the reader reconsider the selling points that made the SUV one of America's best-selling automotive body designs for over a decade?

Was the SUV merely just another marketing success based on the expression, "build it and they will come."

Were all the common rationalizations for owning and driving SUV's just poor excuses for undisciplined borrowing and spending when "want" trumped "need"?

Is the word "crossover" just the latest buzzword that will reconcile the contemporary American psyche to buy again, correcting a decade of mistakes?

Was the original "major leap" taken from a very high cliff?

Will we ever use critical thinking skills again?

Just how close are we to an imploding economy?

Are we living a Faustian bargain?

Look into a mirror, then ask this list of questions. Will you get honest answers?

BDK
Boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Follow-up to last post
Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #44
Confused about dryer sheets

Follow-up to last post

I just ran across this while checking the market:

Truckin' into the Chicago Auto Show - Alton F-650 XUV (1) - CNNMoney.com

Talk about serendipity!

This must be the mother of all SUV excesses.
Boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I'll look at those station wagons.

I won't get a Fit either, for the same reasons you cite. My friend drives hers to other states frequently, but that seems kind of scary to me.
Want2Retire, take a close look at the Subaru when you move to Missouri. I am a huge fan and everyone drives them here in Colorado for the all-wheel-drive feature. They last forever too!

When you buy an American car you are not necessarily supporting American workers. GM manufactures in 33 countries.
General Motors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the motorvehicle in third world countries is not the same as in the USA. Check out the new cheap car from India which will cost about $2000/USA. Tata Nano - world's cheapest new car is unveiled in India - Times Online
In Peru, I saw lots of moto taxis which are motorcycles outfitted with a cabin in which two passengers can sit, cheap and efficient for cities and countryside. They even carry luggage on the back. Why can't we have something similar here to save on energy?
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:39 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
i heard the new ford mustang is nice and good car.
The only problem is that it's still a Ford.........

Old 02-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
America-s-Most-Overpriced-Vehicles- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

Not a surpise here, 13 are American made SUV or Trucks and one sedan. 1 Nissan and a Mazda Ford re badge.

Go ahead buy one. No wonder american car makers are going the way of the DODO!
Interesting notion that the article has of what is overpriced, and what is not. The value of a car.... ANY car... is solely determined by the price that someone is willing to pay for it. The market of willing buyers is really what determines what the cost, functions, and features of a product will be. Don't believe me? Tata motors in India just came out with a car that cost's $2000. Why is that? Were the execs sitting around one day and just decided to go for the cheapest car ever built for no reason? Certainly not! They did it because by and large the population of India is poor, and they are attempting to build a car that people can buy. They are figuring that with enough volume they will become very rich.
So if america's car industry is going "stinko" as you put it, it is because people choose not to buy their products. People think they are not worth the cost, do not have the features they want, feel they are ugly... etc. Want the america auto industry to be as successful as the japanese auto industry? Probably not going to happen. The standard of living in Japan is MUCH lower then it is here in america, that means worker in Japan are WILLING to work for much less than their american counterparts.
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
My last 3 cars have all been Toyotas. I drive my cars until someone steals them or a little old lady hits me (totaled 8 year old corolla) on her way back to get her traffic school certificate that she forgot to pick up. (No kidding). My last car (Camry) had 325,000 miles on it. It was 13 years old. I was planning on going to 500,000 if possible. I was disappointed when someone stole it out of my driveway and it was found wrecked. BUT I love my little 4wd/RAV4. Out of all my cars (I think 5), I like this car the best. Good mileage lots of pep. AND I don't need to shovel snow to get out! (At least so far).
325,000 miles in 13 years? That's 25,000 miles per year. Do other people here put on those kinds of miles. Over the last 10 years i've averaged under 7,000 per year.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
325,000 miles in 13 years? That's 25,000 miles per year. Do other people here put on those kinds of miles. Over the last 10 years i've averaged under 7,000 per year.

Currently doing ~33k/year, as I have an ugly commute. But for years I maybe put 4 or 5k a year on the car, commuting via public transportation.

When I lived in the boonies in the midwest, it was really easy to rack up the miles.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Currently doing ~33k/year, as I have an ugly commute. But for years I maybe put 4 or 5k a year on the car, commuting via public transportation.

When I lived in the boonies in the midwest, it was really easy to rack up the miles.
20,000 miles a year for me, 8,000 for DW,which is why I have an Accord and DW has the minivan.........

My neighbor just sold his 7 series BMW, and I could have bought it for a song, but I wasn't crazy about premium gas and a V-8 engine,I guess I'm too cheap............

Old 02-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
20,000 miles a year for me, 8,000 for DW,which is why I have an Accord and DW has the minivan.........

My neighbor just sold his 7 series BMW, and I could have bought it for a song, but I wasn't crazy about premium gas and a V-8 engine,I guess I'm too cheap............
accord = head gasket, radiator, boot problem.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:36 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
accord = head gasket, radiator, boot problem.
What does 7 series =,besides $100 oil changes and electrical problems??

Old 02-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

The most interesting thing I have observed is that domestic models have the highest rebates, leading to the lowest resale, and they wonder why folks are going in droves to the imports, when all they had to do 15 years ago was make a more reliable car, and this problem could have been largely avoided. Here's an example:

Chevy pushes their Silverado and the Tahoe/Suburban models. Any wonder where the best reliability is for GM, it's in those models. Same with the Ford F150.

The difference is in Toyota and Honda and others, they keep the quality consistent from the lowest price to the highest price cars, and that's why GM and others keeps seeing market share erosion............

Which is more reliable a Chevy Cobalt or a Civic? How about a Ford Focus or a Corolla? Or a Neon versus a Nissan Sentra? Anybody here think the domestic product will last as long or have fewer problems? I didn't think so.........

Old 02-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Want2Retire, take a close look at the Subaru when you move to Missouri. I am a huge fan and everyone drives them here in Colorado for the all-wheel-drive feature. They last forever too!

I have to admit that when I looked at the Subaru's at the auto show they looked pretty nice... they even had the new 2009 Forester which you could actually SIT inside and check it out... most of the others would only let you look at anything that was not already on the showroom floor...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The most interesting thing I have observed is that domestic models have the highest rebates, leading to the lowest resale, and they wonder why folks are going in droves to the imports, when all they had to do 15 years ago was make a more reliable car, and this problem could have been largely avoided. Here's an example:

Chevy pushes their Silverado and the Tahoe/Suburban models. Any wonder where the best reliability is for GM, it's in those models. Same with the Ford F150.

The difference is in Toyota and Honda and others, they keep the quality consistent from the lowest price to the highest price cars, and that's why GM and others keeps seeing market share erosion............

Which is more reliable a Chevy Cobalt or a Civic? How about a Ford Focus or a Corolla? Or a Neon versus a Nissan Sentra? Anybody here think the domestic product will last as long or have fewer problems? I didn't think so.........
toyota = oil sludge problem
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have to admit that when I looked at the Subaru's at the auto show they looked pretty nice... they even had the new 2009 Forester which you could actually SIT inside and check it out... most of the others would only let you look at anything that was not already on the showroom floor...
Interior have gotten a LOT nicer than my '03 vintage example. And there was never anything wrong with the rest of these cars.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post

When you buy an American car you are not necessarily supporting American workers. GM manufactures in 33 countries.
General Motors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, the motorvehicle in third world countries is not the same as in the USA. Check out the new cheap car from India which will cost about $2000/USA. Tata Nano - world's cheapest new car is unveiled in India - Times Online
In Peru, I saw lots of moto taxis which are motorcycles outfitted with a cabin in which two passengers can sit, cheap and efficient for cities and countryside. They even carry luggage on the back. Why can't we have something similar here to save on energy?
Thanks! I'll look at the Subaru, too. They might be just right for me! I'll pass on the cheap car from India, though.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
For the past seven years I have averaged 4,500 miles per year. I live a mile and a half from work, which helps a lot.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Thanks! I'll look at the Subaru, too. They might be just right for me! I'll pass on the cheap car from India, though.
I have a '04 Forester XT. The perfect car for me, i love it. I will probably have this car for at least another 10 years. Other than cable tv this is the one indulgence i've allowed myself. I'm referring to the XT version with the turbocharged engine and the lower gas mileage and premium feul that come with it. It's great for winter driving with the AWD. Mine has heated leather seats and a remote starter which make a huge difference when getting into the car at 5am after it's been sitting outside in freezing temps for 12 hours at work. It has good leg room for the driver which at 6'6" was a big factor for me. However it does take away from rear seat leg room. That wasn't a concern for me though. It's the perfect mix of safe winter driving but fun summer driving with the turbo and the 20 inch sunroof. I baby it most of the time but i am only 28 and still like to have alittle fun. It's nice to be stopped at a red light next to a "ricer" in a civic. He has a cold air intake and a cat back exhaust and thinks he's the $hit. The look on his face when I destroy him off the light is priceless. Like I said i usually baby it and keep the rpm's under 3000 but it's nice to know you have the power if you want it or need it. Again, in my opinion, it's the perfect all around vehicle.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:05 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What does 7 series =,besides $100 oil changes and electrical problems??

its like trying to describe the color orange to a blind man. just try driving it and you will see.theres no way to describe the feel of some of these hi end cars without actually driving them. i never drove a 7 series but i own a 3 series and the handling is absolutely superb no matter what the speed. most reliable vehicle i had yet to boot. having bought a 2nd home recently in pennsylvania and living in nyc we commute every weekend. theres nothing i owned so far that compares to driving the 3 series on those interstates.

oil changes are expensive because you are dealing with an engine that takes 8 quarts of synthetic oil. its only changed once a year because of the massive filtration system but all that is included with mine anyway. i get rid of them every 4years and get a new one. for now until i retire im a bit of an auto buff.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote