Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Kickin' back watching a nice warm summer sunset.
(especially as we Midwesterners 'enjoy' our 1st taste of winter ).
A friend of ours(Kansas native) introduced us to to the concept of 'sitting twilight' as he called it.

heh heh heh - I personally 'waste?' a lot of time fiddling around on U tube.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Walking in the woods in the Spring hunting Morels. Only thing better is eating them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I found $40 on the ground once, so... -$40 pleasure?
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1416110318.904426.jpg

Hiking!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Down through the years and up to the present (I kind of like the sound of that), my favorite free pleasure has been playing catch with either my son or daughter (sounds as if I can't tell them apart--or even worse, I don't know if the person I'm playing catch with is male or female). Anyhow, we use either a soft baseball or a nerf-like football, (sounds as if I don't know which, but, it in this case, no one gets insulted). So, If When I get hit in the face it hardly hurts at all. It does, however, leave a mark, but, it's all at no financial cost. There is a loss of dignity, but that's free as well.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

A good workout, especially a good. long bike ride.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #27

Taking a bike ride through my neighborhood "garden watching". I love to see how people landscape and what plants they've chosen, the conditions they are in (sun / shade etc), and how they thrive.

Birdwatching at the park that is biking distance away.

Sitting on the back porch watching the birds at the pond, reading a library eBook.

Taking a nap ! I can't wait to ER so I can take a nap under the trees in the middle of the week !!
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Playing cards with a group of 12 friends twice a month. Only costs me a homemade dessert and beverages twice a year. Laughter and fun priceless.
Rushmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

just going out in a nice morning with my old camera.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Gruene Hall most days free music with outstanding bands. Tubing the Comal, we just walk down with our tubes. Hot bath with a glass of wine and a paperback. Sitting outside in the morning with a cup of coffee, watching the world light up, and the birds begin to sing. Sliding into the sheets, prewarmed by hubby and the little dog.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The second thing I thought of (yes I officially have a dirty mind) ...
Well your user name is appropriate! I am still trying to work out a distant second.
SVHoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Sunsets from the back porch might be number one.

Or suddenly realizing it's 2 am and you've just spend the last seven or eight hours having the most engaging conversation with a good life long friend, but didn't notice the time passing.

Sitting in my frayed armchair I bought at the thrift shop during college for $20 with a mug of hot coffee and a good book (this morning's was The Grapes of Wrath - Grampa just died from a good quick stroke; this book's a page turner!).
Old 11-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

I take wife to Costco every Friday for the 'free samples' cheap lunch.
joebloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:44 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloe View Post
I take wife to Costco every Friday for the 'free samples' cheap lunch.
Vice versa - and she drives!

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Blowing a high fastball past the opposing team's cleanup hitter for strike three.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Answering the phone and hearing the words "hi dad!"

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just waking up. Just realizing I am still alive and in fairly good health and able to think about what I want to and can do today and in the future.

Unfortunately, that also includes what I ~must~ do, and that is go to w*rk.

But not for much longer
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #38

Employing my "Morning Wood".
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Braved the cold and went for a 2 hour kayak this past weekend. Despite the temperature (or lack of) it proved to be wonderful. It felt like I had the Salish Sea to myself - there was virtually no boat traffic, apart from the odd freighter or cargo ship bound for Asian markets. About an hour into my paddle, I heard a muted splash behind me and to my right. I looked behind me, but apart from the ripples on the water, I didn't see whatever created the splash. I stopped paddling and sat very still, allowing my boat to glide to a halt, in the hope that the critter (I thought that a seal was most likely) would reappear. It did. Surfacing not 4 feet to my right was a harbour porpoise, just bobbing alongside me, it's body tilted slightly to the right so that it's left eye could peer up at me. I was shocked - normally these are VERY shy animals and I have never had much luck getting close to them. This animal, maybe about 6ft long, had obviously chosen to check me out for reasons I'll never know - it's black, glittering eye full of curiosity - it's mouth curved up at the corners looking a lot like a mischievous grin. It may have been beside me for all of 10 seconds, but it seems longer than that - I was transfixed. And then an audible intake of breath into it's blowhole it slipped under the surface and was gone. I sat there and scanned the surface waiting for it to reappear - but nothing. I soon turned my kayak around and headed home - the magic of that encounter had masked the fact that I was getting COLD. On the way home I reflected about many things. I felt humbled.

This is the kind of thing that nourishes my soul. And costs me nothing.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #40

Walking in to the house after a long day at w*rk and having my dog jump on me for attention. Makes me smile every day.

This week, learning that my MIL is cancer free after 6 months of chemo treatments.