Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2022, 09:00 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Our coach seats on British Airways from London to Miami were $276 each (April/2022). We chose not to pick a seat (they charge extra for that) so we were in steerage in the back. The wine flowed freely. The Shepards pie and tea were very British and good. The movies were good. The seat was small but was all we needed. We arrived at the same time as those that paid much, much more.

So $276/$96,000 annual budget = .002875%

We are 58/56 and see no need to pay thru the nose for feel good/special seats.

Glad we have choices!
FlaMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2022, 12:42 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRR View Post
I would say that if you have gotten this far, then you are clearly disciplined so enjoy the extravagance, blow that dough, at least business. If you are funding a 50 year retirement with $750k, then Spirit airlines for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We are going to Egypt and Jordan for three weeks in October. We have booked first class tickets for our flights. It's the first time we've ever done that, because, as someone observed earlier, the seats in the back get there at the same time as the seats in the front. But: a) it's a 22 hour trip and we'd like to get some sleep; and b) we can easily afford it.
Yeah, my issue is not whether I can afford it (I can), but whether it's a reasonable value for the money. There are many things I could afford—for example, staying in the penthouse suite of some fancy hotel when I travel—that I refrain from purchasing simply because they seem like a waste of money. I have a really hard time justifying the astronomical prices airlines are charging these days for comfortable seating on long, overseas flights. Paying $1,500 to sit in an almost inhumanely cramped seat in the main cabin for hours upon hours is already somewhat of a poor value, IMHO, but paying $7,000 to sit in a (much?) better seat with better food and drinks strikes me as nearly comically overpriced. It does appear to be the going rate, however, and since I feel like I'd probably be miserable in coach for that long, I'm willing to consider it.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:07 PM   #23

I haven't traveled in quite some, but DH has flown to Europe to visit his parents. (I had hoped to travel with him after I retired, but will see.)

Less than 1%
Old 08-04-2022, 01:11 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would try it once and see if it was worth it to you. I flew in coach recently to Ireland and I am only 5’7” and it was miserable. Coming home I could upgrade to get 12 more inches of room for a cost of 100 for the long flight and 45 for the domestic one. I did it and my comfort level greatly improved. I have only been in first class twice because it was free. I would fly business or first class if I could afford it.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:32 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

We've occasionally flown business class on international flights, never first. Multiple tickets in the family add up quickly, so the tickets would be perhaps 15-20% of our annual spending. We're very frugal otherwise, so this is an indulgence we're happy to splurge on sometimes.
Some experiences have been amazing (e.g., Emirates lounges and in-flight food/service are out of this world) and some, so-so (American carriers). We also fly Economy and Premium Economy. The latter, we've noticed, can be a happy medium.
Phroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:36 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I made a promise to myself about 5-6 years ago to never fly economy again. Flying 150K+ miles per year, a lot of it international (mostly for work) has me hooked on the service and definitely the lie flat seats. Yes, we all get there at the same time, but I get on/off the plane first, have expedited security in most international airports, and I can sleep easier in business or first. I did one trip US to UK in economy and that was it for me.

Honestly, I don’t really care what it costs. I estimate it’s between $5K (if I’m lucky, and going US to Europe), to $10K if I’m going to Asia. 2x that if I’m bringing my DW.
Unpaintedhuffhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:08 PM   #27

I do not fly much but any time I do, I look at the price difference between coach and first and make my decision. All continental U.S. but so far, I’ve taken first class. Not sure if I could pay the extra for a overseas flight in first class, but I’d certainly consider it. Biggest issue is that usually I fly alone (seeing friends or family) but an overseas trip would certainly include DW - so double. Ouch.

I’ve always wondered if I could get an extra seat in coach (buy three seats together for me and DW) by saying I needed it for health reasons or whatever. However, as crazy as air travel has gotten I doubt they’d let a empty seat happen while they’re paying people to change their plans due to over booking the flight. Still, me and DW are not tall and having the extra room next to us would make coach a lot more tolerable. I’m sure it would be a lot cheaper than first class too.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:18 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I’ve always wondered if I could get an extra seat in coach (buy three seats together for me and DW) by saying I needed it for health reasons or whatever. However, as crazy as air travel has gotten I doubt they’d let an empty seat happen while they’re paying people to change their plans due to over booking the flight. Still, me and DW are not tall and having the extra room next to us would make coach a lot more tolerable. I’m sure it would be a lot cheaper than first class too.
I'm pretty sure you can. You need to call a human because it can't be done on-line, which is a drawback. No health reasons needed.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:35 PM   #29

Most airlines have removed their First Class service and just upgraded their business class service. You should shop around for deals. We are leaving in three weeks for a trip to Europe and we paid $2962 each for business class with lie flat seats from LAX to GVA with a stop at YUL on Air Canada. Last November we paid $2832 for the same departure and destination airports but on Air France Business Class. If you book last minute those same seats will cost $5K-$7K. The most we have paid for business class was $4200 each return but that was many years ago. Plan your trips ahead of time and book at least 3-4 months in advance for the best deals. Also check for premium fare deals (first/business class) at this site.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:37 PM   #30

coach seats are fine for many people, and *finer* for smaller people. DW and I are not small nor average, and we have wedged ourselves into coach every other time we traveled. I have relaxed on the Hawaii flights before on an aisle seat and been bashed by one of those beverage carts in the shoulder. After that, I learned to sit up straight and rigid. That is a lovely way to spend 6 hours
This is our first foray into any kind of premium seating that was not some sort of free upgrade from back in the day. We never traveled as a part of our work, so we don't rack up miles very quickly.
I am hoping that will change with retirement.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:52 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Yeah, my issue is not whether I can afford it (I can), but whether it's a reasonable value for the money. There are many things I could afford—for example, staying in the penthouse suite of some fancy hotel when I travel—that I refrain from purchasing simply because they seem like a waste of money. I have a really hard time justifying the astronomical prices airlines are charging
I hear you. I guess it is cheaper than a NetJets subscription, but the pricing can be crazy. Enough people put a high value on their comfort to make it work.

I think you either put in the work in checking fares/playing the mileage game or bite the bullet. The other option for me is to take a Transatlantic Cruise. For the same money or less you get good food, entertainment, lodging, etc. and a much more humane travel. It just takes a lot longer, and most times you have to fly one way anyhow. I guess like everything else you have to pay: money, time, or physical pain.

I get up at 7 yeah, and I go to work at 9. Got no time for livin yes I'm workin all the time. Seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am. I guess thats why they call me the Working Man.
DJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:20 PM   #32

Ultimately I bit the bullet so to speak. The decision matrix was mostly about DW taking the time off. Once we were over that hurdle it was " get us the tickets "
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:02 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm pretty sure you can. You need to call a human because it can't be done on-line, which is a drawback. No health reasons needed.
JetBlue has a little box that you can tick to buy an extra seat for yourself. Not sure about other airlines. I never fly coach but noticed it when buying a ticket for my niece.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:06 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Yeah, my issue is not whether I can afford it (I can), but whether it's a reasonable value for the money. There are many things I could afford—for example, staying in the penthouse suite of some fancy hotel when I travel—that I refrain from purchasing simply because they seem like a waste of money. I have a really hard time justifying the astronomical prices airlines are charging these days for comfortable seating on long, overseas flights. Paying $1,500 to sit in an almost inhumanely cramped seat in the main cabin for hours upon hours is already somewhat of a poor value, IMHO, but paying $7,000 to sit in a (much?) better seat with better food and drinks strikes me as nearly comically overpriced. It does appear to be the going rate, however, and since I feel like I'd probably be miserable in coach for that long, I'm willing to consider it.
I may or may not have said it first on this forum, but speaking from personal experience, "if you don't spend it, your heirs will " (thanks gramps)
Old 08-05-2022, 06:35 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

We’ve flown business class to and from Europe a few times (pre-Covid), and I’m pretty sure not paid over $2600 roundtrip each. This was usually a $1000 to $1500 premium over economy. Booking around 2 months in advance we were able to find these deals. The lie flat seats make a huge difference in getting some sleep and actually being able to enjoy that first day in Europe.

One flight in 2019 we had to change last minute, unfortunately due to dire family illness, the only replacement option was $7K each, so we took a credit and put up with premium economy instead.

I don’t blink an eye at domestic first class anymore. Used it this past March after not flying since 2019, and then when paying found that my credits had been extended, nice!

We’re not flying for a while now, road tripping instead. Between restrictions lifted and flying being a mess, it’s very unappealing right now. Plus we have a new car to enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I may or may not have said it first on this forum, but speaking from personal experience, "if you don't spend it, your heirs will " (thanks gramps)
Yep!
Old 08-05-2022, 08:38 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I always travel first class on long hauls. In addition to MUCH bigger, more comfortable seats and better food, you get priority check-in lines, sometimes priority immigration lines (a lifesaver at Heathrow) and no checked bag fees. You may also get lounge access on international flights although AA can get stingy- apparently flights between the US and Mexico are not international enough ).

This year I spent about 5% of my total annual spend (so that's withdrawals from investments supplemented by SS and a couple of small pensions) on my flight to Munich in May. Most of my other expenses are pretty modest so I don't agonize over it. I might if I were buying for two and it was 10%!
I fly enough to get good status on Oneworld, plus have a credit card with Priority Pass, so I get most of those things without paying for first class. To me the two main things depend on the length of the flight as well as the delta in cost between economy -> premium economy -> Business -> first class

Flight - CLT to LHR in Premium economy is OK with me or economy up front seats (which I can get with my status for free). Going to Asia though I'd want business class. Central Europe I'd want Prem or Business.

I'm generally willing to pay about $1500-$2000 more for biz class than prem economy for personal r/t, or about $2500-$3k if on work's dime. Above that, for two people, we have other things we'd rather spend the $4k on.

You can also pay for upgrades with mix of miles/cash as well - American Airlines for example you can upgrade one way from discount economy to business class for 25k miles and I believe $350, which is about $700 combined value, or $1,400 r/t. So if the price quoted online is like $5-8k higher for biz class, going this route is quite helpful to save money. Can just call AA and ask if can get confirmed when you book over phone.

Having various buckets of options (miles, mile upgrades, cash) plus flexibility on timing (which most retirees should have for long haul generally) should allow you get get pretty good deals on flights in general.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:40 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Most airlines have removed their First Class service and just upgraded their business class service. You should shop around for deals. We are leaving in three weeks for a trip to Europe and we paid $2962 each for business class with lie flat seats from LAX to GVA with a stop at YUL on Air Canada. Last November we paid $2832 for the same departure and destination airports but on Air France Business Class. If you book last minute those same seats will cost $5K-$7K. The most we have paid for business class was $4200 each return but that was many years ago. Plan your trips ahead of time and book at least 3-4 months in advance for the best deals. Also check for premium fare deals (first/business class) at this site.

Yup good advice
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:13 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Before retiring, my jobs with Megacorp required frequent travel so I almost never had to pay for a ticket (I would often piggyback vacations requiring flights with business trips). The most Megacorp paid for my ticket was close to $20K, from the U.S. East coast to Western Australia, business or first class on all legs.

Going into retirement, travel was planned to be about 20% of our spending budget, with airfare likely to the highest component. The pandemic plus one of our children moving back to the U.S. has reduced that. So far the most we have had to pay was $2,500 per ticket for a family round trip visit to Taiwan that included either first class or premium economy on all legs. Even the total was well within our "extravagant" retirement spending plans.

I would be fine with paying $5K-6K a ticket for first/business class for a long flight to somewhere I desired to visit. On our Asia/Middle East trips the international flights have never been that crowded to make economy or premium economy a problem. But maybe having flown so much for Megacorp, and being just slightly above average height (5' 10"), I am used to flying in various levels of comfort.
Old 08-05-2022, 09:15 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post

The under $3K prices is the price point that it starts to look attractive. Did you get those prices direct from the airlines or through a third party?
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:38 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus View Post
You can also pay for upgrades with mix of miles/cash as well - American Airlines for example you can upgrade one way from discount economy to business class for 25k miles and I believe $350, which is about $700 combined value, or $1,400 r/t. So if the price quoted online is like $5-8k higher for biz class, going this route is quite helpful to save money. Can just call AA and ask if can get confirmed when you book over phone.
Do they actually confirm it? The one time we were able to upgrade with miles (this is ancient history), you paid the fee when you made your request but you didn't know till you got your boarding pass if you got upgraded. The fee was refunded if you didn't.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote