Join Early Retirement Today

Moves due to tax bill passage
Old 12-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moves due to tax bill passage

Interested in year end moves due to passage. I'll start:

Paying April property taxes 12/29/17 instead of 4/1/18

Future trading in IRA instead of brokerage so I can do 1040A (think Sch D stayed)
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #2

Waiting until 2018 to do a $65K Roth conversion... I was going to wait until the market corrected a bit, I am still waiting...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #3

If you are unlikely to exceed the standard deduction next year, bundle charity giving and create/fund a donor advised fund before the end of the year. Use appreciated securities/funds. Take the deduction in 2017.

Time is running out for this move. Check cut-off dates if you haven't already started this process.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #4

Paying our property taxes early would result in a corresponding increase in AMT for us in 2017 so we can’t do anything to help with the SALT limitation next year.

Probably going to pay off our HELOC since that interest will no longer be deductible.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Probably going to pay off our HELOC since that interest will no longer be deductible.
Can you give me a little detail on this please? I was planning to apply and take out a HELOC in 2018. I hadn't heard of anything in the tax bill that affects the deduction of the interest on HELOCs, but it feels like information overload any time I look at news stories on the tax legislation.
l8_apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
If you are unlikely to exceed the standard deduction next year, bundle charity giving and create/fund a donor advised fund before the end of the year. Use appreciated securities/funds. Take the deduction in 2017.
+1. Recently set up a DAF and funded it for a couple years (planning to do every-other-year charitable bunching), but now that it's unlikely I'll itemize again I'll probably fund it a bit more.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8_apex View Post
Can you give me a little detail on this please? I was planning to apply and take out a HELOC in 2018. I hadn't heard of anything in the tax bill that affects the deduction of the interest on HELOCs, but it feels like information overload any time I look at news stories on the tax legislation.
interest on mortgages & HELOC for acquisition & improvements will be deductible on 750k of loan. Interest on HELOC for debt consolidation won't be
Old 12-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Paying our property taxes early would result in a corresponding increase in AMT for us in 2017 so we can’t do anything to help with the SALT limitation next year.
we are in the same boat
Old 12-21-2017, 10:12 AM   #9

Here's a quick video/article I found on the topic: Tax moves to make before 2018 - Video - Personal Finance
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
... Paying April property taxes 12/29/17 instead of 4/1/18 ...
I read that there is an IRS opinion that this won't work.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not doing anything, because I never have enough deductions to itemize now that I am retired, mortgage free, in a low SALT state, and with what I regard as low taxes already (7% of my AGI last year). I finally dared to try the calculators for the old vs new taxes. It looks like in my case, my taxes under the new rules will be even lower than that, without doing anything at all, bringing them down to about 5% of AGI. But, we'll see. Anyway, any further reduction is almost venturing into the trivial, and it hardly seems worth the effort to lower my taxes further.

Sure makes life simple for me. Wishing you all some productive tax planning this week and next.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:13 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

My understanding is that in 2018 you can still itemize/deduct up to $10k in state and local taxes. So unless your RET and state income tax paid will be greater than $10k in 2018, then there is no pressure to pay RET before year-end.

Or am I missing something?
younginvestor2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by younginvestor2013 View Post
My understanding is that in 2018 you can still itemize/deduct up to $10k in state and local taxes. So unless your RET and state income tax paid will be greater than $10k in 2018, then there is no pressure to pay RET before year-end.

I don't think so - $10K is pretty low if you live in a state that has personal income tax and you own a home
Old 12-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I don't think so - $10K is pretty low if you live in a state that has personal income tax and you own a home
Agreed! I am sure it is easy to hit that figure if you live in areas like Westchester NY or LA, SF, etc. Just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly.
younginvestor2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Earlier in the year, my plan was to take the standard deduction in 2017 and do some bunching of deductions in 2018, mainly for state income taxes, the big item I can bunch into one calendar year because I can pay the 4th quarter's estimated state income taxes in either of 2 calendar years. I didn't have any unusually large med expenses in 2017 which, unlike in 2015 and 2016, kept my itemized deductions below the SD when I don't pay the 4th quarter 2017 estimated state income taxes in 2017 but in early 2018 instead.

When the estimated cap gain distributions came out in early November, this bunching plan looked even better because those deductible med expenses fell some (10%-of-AGI exclusion rose when one MF I own planned a huge distribution in late December).

But once the tax reform bill began gaining steam, my plan to bunch deductions into 2018 while taking the SD in 2017 went away. I will now pay my 4th quarter estimated state income taxes in a few days and itemize in 2017 while taking the SD in 2018 (and probably every year thereafter). I also made sure to make my charitable donations this year including a donation of old clothes.

Now if I could only escape the ACA subsidy cliff.......
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm not doing anything, because I never have enough deductions to itemize now that I am retired, mortgage free, in a low SALT state, and with what I regard as low taxes already
+1.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post
...Paying April property taxes 12/29/17 instead of 4/1/18 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Any details OldShooter?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:40 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
if you are paying 2017 property taxes in calendar 2017 that aren't "due" until 2018 how can that not be okay?

for example, we pay property taxes in arrears - our 2017 taxes are due in two pieces, half at the end of december and half in 2018

if I pay both pieces today how can I not itemize all of that in the 2017 tax year?
Old 12-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by younginvestor2013 View Post

with the new SD I won't itemize in the future. My prop tax = 3k + FTB = 5k .... trying to figure out how to do just the 1040A from now on. So 2017 = prop tax 4.5 (3 pymts) + 5k. I read you can pay prop taxes already billed as in past years just not prepay in income taxes
Old 12-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #20
Administrator

According to my tax advisor, property taxes can be prepaid as long as the taxing authority is accepting prepayment. In other words, it can’t just be a credit to an account, it must be applied to an assessed or estimated current or future tax liability.

An early payment of a second installment would qualify, as would an early payment when the county has not yet assessed but offers to accept prepayment and apply to the upcoming assessment.

A payment where there is no acknowledgement of forthcoming liability would probably not qualify.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote