Join Early Retirement Today

moving to NJ from florida
Old 08-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

moving to NJ from florida

I know people on this site have a wealth of financial knowledge . Can anyone offer some advice? My father is 91 and in the near future will need to move to an assisted living residence.He has 400,000 in a CD at ORiON bank.If he moves from Florida to NJ what would be the reprecusions?The only issue I can think of is that he might have to pay a small amount of state income tax on the interest. I'm also concerned that he now has all his funs in one CD.In the past he had CDs in his name as well his three children.If this CD is in all four names I assume FDIC would cover the whole amount if the bank closed. Is this the case.? I still haven't found out if we are still on the CD. It is very possible with his family history that he will outlive his money and we'll step in to help him but he needs to protect what he has.It's possible bank failures are about to be a lot more common! Thanks in advance for any information.
wolfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

There is no state income tax on wages or investments in Florida.

FL Dept Rev - Intangible Personal Property Tax
Old 08-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBuzz View Post
There is no state income tax on wages or investments in Florida.

FL Dept Rev - Intangible Personal Property Tax
He is talking about moving from Florida to NJ, though, where the interest would THEN be deducted. Depending on where your father will be living and where he is now, he will VERY LIKELY move into a higher cost of living area. Property taxes are incredibly high in both places so it shouldn't make too much of a difference, but I think the most important factors in the decision are the quality of the hospital/healthcare facilities around, the cost of health insurance for the places he would be covered and the quality of the facilities for assisted living, as you said he might be moving into a home soon.
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Here are the joint account rules for FDIC insurance: FDIC: Insuring Your Deposits

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After you find out how the CD is titled you can go here and use the FDIC Calculator: FDIC: Electronic Deposit Insurance Estimator (EDIE) – Online Version
Old 08-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
He is talking about moving from Florida to NJ, though, where the interest would THEN be deducted.
Oops. My mistake. Sorry about that.