Join Early Retirement Today

"Mr. Free at 33" - Anyone familiar?
Old 10-31-2019, 05:19 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

"Mr. Free at 33" - Anyone familiar?

Last night I stumbled across a blogger named "Mr. Free at 33". He FIREd at age 33 and lives off the income his investments generate.

He had at the time of the articles I read a little over $400K in a basket of 125 dividend-producing stocks he calls his "FIRE Fund", which he lists here:

http://https://www.mrfreeat33.com/portfolio/

Said that investment provides him enough to live on (he's an ex-pat, though; I think he lives in Thailand).

This is where I got the idea for another post I wrote today, about using my IRA to generate enough income to live on. I was excited to FINALLY see someone actually doing it, and especially to see exactly what their investments are.

It gave me hope that I might be okay after all, even though our investments haven't quite reached $1M yet.

Has anyone followed Mr. Free at 33 (Justin Fieber is his real name)? Any thoughts on his strategy?

SoReadyToRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't follow him.

It would seem easier, simpler, and safer to just buy a well-diversified low-cost stock index mutual fund rather than try to manage 125 individual stock positions. But he does have a higher dividend yield this way (3.4% vs. about 1.8% for VTSAX).

I think the idea of geographic arbitrage is worthwhile to consider. Depending on how leanFIRE he is, he may be limited in coming back to the US, which is something to consider.

Plenty of people here retired and living off their IRAs. Not too many doing it on only $400K, but that's basically the geographic arbitrage and buying higher dividend stocks.

I don't like when people hawk Personal Capital, but that's just a personal preference. Also not a fan of Motley Fool, which he recommends for stock picks.

I did read and like some of his articles, especially one on fitness.

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:52 PM   #3

I don't follow him, but he's not unique. He's in a category many here refer to as "FERBs": Fake Early Retired Blogger.

Now don't get me wrong, maintaining some sort of side hustle in ER is fine, and you're still ER, but most of those folks like this dude seem to be making their retirement a business. They have a site, they have ads, they sell books on ER, or offer "coaching", or some other products. They've been featured in magazines (that means they do a lot of self- PR and pitching).

This one? Looks like he's spending at least half his time working that pitch, hardly passive.

That's not retired, that's self-employed.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoReadyToRetire View Post

Has anyone followed Mr. Free at 33 (Justin Fieber is his real name)? Any thoughts on his strategy?
"Justin Fieber"? Made me look. Jason Fieber... carry on.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I took a look..he used to write under the name "Dividend Mantra" about 5 or 6 years ago. If anyone read FIRE blogs back then they may recall him.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
gone traveling

I think it’s brilliant. I love unconventional success stories!
nancyfrank232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:16 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The U.S. dollar lost about 10% value against Thai baht in the past year, I bet that he is working harder to make his ends meet.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #8

I've been reading his blog for a few years. He's a good guy, had a bit of a tough life growing up and worked hard to get where he is now including having the guts to up stakes and move overseas.

He is pretty free and open about details of his life in Thailand and admits the
good and the bad aspects. He's also very open about his finances and investing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I don't follow him, but he's not unique.....
This one? Looks like he's spending at least half his time working that pitch, hardly passive. That's not retired, that's self-employed.
That's a fairly gross mischaracterization of him. Perhaps if you actually read some more of his stuff before offering sweeping generalizations....
Old 11-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #9

Me not free at 33

I didn't finish the Grind 'til 59.