Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Hi Isbcal,
This is a viewpoint that many hold about retirement - you know, that once one retires, that’s it.

No more work, no more focus of one’s energy, no more bringing to fruition projects that are dear to you. One might simply want to laze around indefinitely.

It has been our experience that this isn’t true.
I seem to be putting my worst e-foot forward on this thread and promise not to post any more on it (except maybe to clarify). Billy, I only meant this in the most light hearted way. I never meant to impugn yours or anyone else's activities after retirement. People can relax, be lazy, volunteer feverishly, engage is a lot of individual pursuits -- it's all OK with me. I'm pretty active myself and agree very much with all you said. Perhaps I should use more smiley faces? That can be the problem with web posts -- you don't get to see my expression or hear my tone of voice as I write these silly things .
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Isbcal, don't worry, Akaisha is not easily ruffled, she just wants to encourage people to make early retirement exactly what each person wants it to be, not conform to some media outlet's preconceived notion of what it "should" be.
You're doing fine, I promise!
Anyone who can create such beautiful artwork is amazing in my book! And like Billy and Akaisha and the other authors on this board (how's that book coming, Nords?) I bet you don't consider painting to be work, either.
It's all good!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:13 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
(how's that book coming, Nords?)
OK, you asked.

The intro & first two chapters have been completely overhauled, thanks to all the hard work & suggestions of Bob Clyatt, SamClem, and others. I think they're done. Chapter 3's been drafted and is in spouse hacking editing. I'm starting on chapter 4 of 12.

It's coming faster, but that's a relative term compared to glaciers or cold molasses. The biggest challenge is not getting distracted by all the south shore summer surfing fascinating research out there while keeping track of all the contributions, references, & links. I'm no longer wandering around aimlessly but I'm not exactly taking large strides toward some sort of deadline. I'm probably closer to the finish than to the start but I'm still ambivalent about publishers versus self-publishing. I'll deal with query letters again when I'm done with the text.

The reactions I get from the professionals, this board's veterans, and other vets convince me that this is still worth the effort even if it's not speeding along. Starving authors either publish within a year... or they starve. Writing goes a lot slower when you lack a profit motive but it's a lot more enjoyable.

Andy R is working on a way to add attachments to social group posts. (It exists for posts to the regular forums but it doesn't exist for posts to social groups.) The feature appears to be feasible but it's a matter of figuring out how to set up the options or the code. When that's working then I'll post Word document chapters in the social group "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retiring Early-- FIRE!", invite you veterans & families & friends, and we'll see how it goes.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

That is great news and I am impressed by the scope of your undertaking. I hope that you will be able to incorporate some of your timeless and hilarious stories within the important nuts and bolts parts--as that is, IMHO your prose really shines. Whenever I see a nice long Nords post, I settle in with a cup of coffee and prepare for transport to the Land of Nords (no, not Nod).
Thanks for the update!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote