Muni Bond Glitch in Turbotax

DrRoy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So DW and I were doing our FIT in Turbotax last week, and got up to the 1099-INT. We have municipal bonds from a couple different states, and in the box for what state it says VARIOUS, so we enter that in the program. At the end, we are doing the federal review, and it says we have to enter a CUSIP like we only have one bond. The word VARIOUS is in the space but the program will not accept that. I eventually figured out that if I add 00 to the end of the word VARIOUS, Turbotax would continue. It seemed to need the entry to be the same length as a CUSIP number.

I have not had munis for a number of years and I'm not going to tear thru old taxes to find it. But I remember having to list CUSIP for all individual bonds that I owned. Interest from muni bond funds were somewhat different, but then I needed amount/ state. It has been a while and my mind could be going, but I recall that I had to do this at some point

Good info. I'm using TT and own munis so very helpful tip. Thank you for sharing !

Back
Top Bottom