Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Must I pay a Medicare premium?
Old 04-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I could not find this on the government's website, and it is after hours so I can't call. This may seem like a stupid question, but with government financing anything is possible:
DW is still w*rking and we are both covered by her employer's health insurance. I will start collecting SS retirement this September, a month after I turn 65. Since I'm not applying for Medicare, can I presume there will be no Medicare premium deducted?
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #2

Most employers require you move to Medicare once you turn 65. You should have your DW check with her HR department before any decisions are made.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with MissMolly. If your DW's employer requires that you have to signup for Medicare, you'll have to pay for the Part B premium. If you're not required to apply for Medicare, you won't.
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #4

OP here. DW turned 65 last year and we checked that. She does not have to apply for Medicare while employed.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #5

The more important question is do you have to have medicare, the rules for dependents may be different than employees. I expect that sooner or later the employer will wise up. Note that you can sign up for Part A without part B if covered by DW's insurance (Part A is hospital charges except physicians)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #6

I know someone over 65 that works in a warehouse job at Amazon. The pay ain't great, but the health insurance is. He and his wife got out of paying for Medicare Part B and Amazon's insurance covers the same things as Part B and a Medicare supplement policy. IIRC, the cost for both of them is $75 per biweekly paycheck.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
OP here. DW turned 65 last year and we checked that. She does not have to apply for Medicare while employed.
Only the person who is working with health insurance don't have to get premium part B. But not the spouse. If he delays one year, he will get penalty. This is part B. Part A is free for most people.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
He and his wife got out of paying for Medicare Part B and Amazon's insurance covers the same things as Part B and a Medicare supplement policy.
I might have it wrong, but I think if you defer Part B, once you do decide to get it there is a penalty based upon how long you wait and the penalty payment is for 'life' (for as long as you stay on Part B).
Old 04-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I might have it wrong, but I think if you defer Part B, once you do decide to get it there is a penalty based upon how long you wait and the penalty payment is for 'life' (for as long as you stay on Part B).
Penalty is 10% a year. This is why I had to sign my husband up.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #10

For every year that you defer Medicare Parts A and B the premium will go up by 10%. This is a choice that US expatriates have to make. Even though they might be covered by other medical plans and Medicare doesn't work outside the US they still pay the Medicare premiums just in case they ever want to live in the US again.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #11

They were on Medicare A and B before he got that job. My understanding is the penalty does not apply if you are covered by an employer's insurance instead.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
They were on Medicare A and B before he got that job. My understanding is the penalty does not apply if you are covered by an employer's insurance instead.
Are they both working? If yes then they are ok, but not one spouse.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #13

Thanks all. I will have DW check with her HR people. Then, I'll call Medicare folks as well. Appreciate your input.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Are they both working? If yes then they are ok, but not one spouse.
They don't have to be both working. No penalty applies for delaying part B at 65 assuming the person is covered under a group health insurance from a spouse's current employer and the spouse is an active employee.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
They don't have to be both working. No penalty applies for delaying part B at 65 assuming the person is covered under a group health insurance from a spouse's current employer and the spouse is an active employee.
This is my understanding, based on friend's circumstances. His younger wife was still working and had group coverage from work. When she unexpectedly passed away he switched to Medicare. He did need to get a letter from the employer verifying coverage, but it sounded like it was common practice and no big deal. YMMV
Old 04-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
You are right. Current and active job. Not just employers plan like retiree's health insurance.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I could not find this on the government's website, and it is after hours so I can't call.
Here you go. 1-800-MEDICARE is open 24 hours. If you delay Medicare enrollment, at the time you do enroll you will need a letter from the spouse's employer stating you had continuous coverage to avoid a Part B late enrollment penalty. The letter, or another one, will also need to state the plan had prescription drug coverage to avoid the Part D late penalty.

Quote:
Most people should enroll in Medicare Part A when they turn 65, even if they have health insurance from their (or their spouse’s) current employer. This is because most people paid Medicare taxes while they worked and therefore do not pay a monthly premium for Part A. However, some people may want to consider delaying Medicare Part A until a later date, such as people who contribute to a Health Savings Account (HSA).

Most people need to enroll in Part B when they turn 65. Only people who have health insurance from their (or their spouse’s) current employer may be able to delay enrolling in Part B without penalty.

Medicare Enrollment: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Edu...rt-A-and-B.pdf
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
Here you go. 1-800-MEDICARE is open 24 hours. If you delay Medicare enrollment, be sure the employer will provide the correct forms to prove private sector coverage.
This is great! Thanks!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:27 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree with corporateburnout.
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup, make sure that at 65 your are not automatically put into a Medicare supplement policy. Without enrolling in Medicare that will be a huge hole in your coverage.

That happened to a relative of mine and she was out $5000 dollars for some minor surgery that would have easily been covered by Medicare had she enrolled in it rather than assuming things. Shame on her employer for not notifying people of the change. Or maybe they did and she just tossed in in the trash?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote