Mutual fund fees.....how often taken out??

dessert

Full time employment: Posting here.
A fund says it has an expense ratio of .67% so my basic question is "how often do these fees come out of your investments"?
Is it monthly, or daily or something else?

Also, keep in mind that there are also trading costs that are deducted daily that are hidden and not included in the 0.67 %. This is a major reason why it's a good idea to consider index funds, which do very minimal trading.

Also, keep in mind that there are also trading costs that are deducted daily that are hidden and not included in the 0.67 %. This is a major reason why it's a good idea to consider index funds, which do very minimal trading.

ETF's are even better with expense ratio's much lower than most mutual funds. In the case of the iShares S&P 500 Index Fund, ticker IVV, the expense ratio is .09%.

iShares ETF for US investors - Exchange Traded Funds

Thanks for the comments. Here is an explanation that I copied from one of my funds:

"For a mutual fund, the expense ratio is the total annual fund or class operating expenses (before waivers or reimbursements) paid by the fund and stated as a percent of the fund's total net assets."

So these fees are "annualized" and that is why on a daily basis I can't even notice them coming out.

I realize that this is a rookie question but I'm sure others will benefit from the information too. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom