Join Early Retirement Today

My Capital One "Urgent fraud prevention alert"
Old 07-08-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Capital One "Urgent fraud prevention alert"

I awoke this morning to an email with the subject "Urgent fraud prevention alert." They questioned this charge to my credit card:

/08/201
IM ORANGE MOLDOVA SA
Phone/Cable
$26.39

Of course, I did too. It seems this is an Online service in the Country of Moldova. After calling the number on the back of my card, they stopped the charge and are sending a new card.

Unfortunately, I am in (or was, this morning) Kalispell MT and won't be back in Denver for a couple of weeks. Fortunately, earlier this year, Capital One instituted a policy whereby DW and I have different card numbers. Therefore, We can use her card without issue. (Of course, we have several credit cards but you know what I mean.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 05:57 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Before handing your card to the teen at the restaurant, had you scratched off the CVC on the card's back?
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Who knows with this stuff....I had a regular chase card that I have used almost daily for 5 years plus, all without incident anywhere. Then Chase sends me a new "chip" card claiming increase security. I used that card twice within 3 days (walmart and an online air flight ticket) and had 2 fraudulent charges already charged to that new card. Chase caught it first by sending me a fraud alert text. Crazy.
You know I wonder why we even get worried about it. They always take them off quickly. In fact they also took $300 worth of legitimate charges to. I had to call them back to get the charges reinstated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Fraud charges are so common that it is no longer a big deal.

In the past I received a Chase corporate card that already had about $2500 of charges on it before I got it. Then the replacement card had fraudulent charges, too.

One must have two or three credit cards in case one is shutdown.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Fraud charges are so common that it is no longer a big deal.

In the past I received a Chase corporate card that already had about $2500 of charges on it before I got it. Then the replacement card had fraudulent charges, too.

One must have two or three credit cards in case one is shutdown.
That's amazing to have fraudulent charges before you even receive the card!!! Doesn't the card need to be activated?
Old 07-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #6

I set up text alerts for ALL charges to my credit cards and all debits to my bank accounts. Too much fraud these days. I was able to cancel a fraudulent credit card item while it was still in "pending" status thanks to the text alert. It's scary how common fraudulent charges are these days. Crossing off the CVC is a great idea ! I just did that.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Problem with crossing off the CVC is I'll never remember it. I carry 3-4 cards and have a few more at home.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Problem with crossing off the CVC is I'll never remember it. I carry 3-4 cards and have a few more at home.
I write the CVC number on a piece of paper taped onto another card I keep in my wallet. When I need it I pull out that card and look at it. It means I can hand over my CC with no CVC number on it but I don't have to memorize it for the few times I need it. (I also have the CVC number written down at home).
Old 07-09-2015, 07:50 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It means I can hand over my CC with no CVC number on it but I don't have to memorize it for the few times I need it. (I also have the CVC number written down at home).
Doesn't his cause problems at some merchants? Sometimes they look at that number to enter it into their terminal for card present verification.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #10

Credit card fraud is more sophisticated than teens nabbing your CVC #.

The fraud is the credit card company's problem,not mine. If they wanted to get rid of it, they could start using chip & pin now. But, it just doesn't seem to be a big deal for them, so why should I worry about it.

Like someone else said, keep a few cards.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-tirement View Post
Doesn't his cause problems at some merchants? Sometimes they look at that number to enter it into their terminal for card present verification.
Rarely happens but when it does they simply ask me and I tell them. The CCV number is there primarily for "Card not there" transactions, to prove to an on-line or phone vendor that you have the card physically in your hand.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I write the CVC number on a piece of paper taped onto another card I keep in my wallet. When I need it I pull out that card and look at it. It means I can hand over my CC with no CVC number on it but I don't have to memorize it for the few times I need it. (I also have the CVC number written down at home).
I've kept some of these numbers on a fake phone list, and you can do that on paper and/or your phone directory. For a 4 # PIN or CVC for a Fidelity AMEX card for example, something like:

Uncle Fred - 312-456-1234 where the 1234 is the pin/CVC

or the 3 digit for the Visa

Aunt Vicky - 312-456-0123

It's obvious to me, as I don't have an Uncle Fred or Aunt Vicky, and the F and V are good enough reminders for me. And still pretty secure.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I've kept some of these numbers on a fake phone list, and you can do that on paper and/or your phone directory. For a 4 # PIN or CVC for a Fidelity AMEX card for example, something like:

It's obvious to me, as I don't have an Uncle Fred or Aunt Vicky, and the F and V are good enough reminders for me. And still pretty secure.

-ERD50
+1
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #14

I've memorized both the CC number and the CVC number. No one has chip and pin here yet, but my card has a chip. And both the CC number and the CVC number are on the back now, and aren't raised.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I find the scenario interesting to receive a new credit card and have fraudulent charges on it already. This tells me that either someone got information at the issuing bank before sending out the card, or it was intercepted in the mail and then passed on? In both cases the card would have had to be activated which usually requires a call from the billing address number on file. So it's pretty wild. And why pass along a card you have stolen if you are able to use it? Doesn't make sense.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I had issues with an FIA cardholder services card that went on for three months, hopefully fixed now. They allowed fraudulent charges through my old CC number that was issued a new card and CC number. After 4 calls escalated over 3 months I talked with a gal that explained how the activation and closure process works. From what she explained neither means the card number cannot be used. In my case she explained my old CC number was still available for some type of charges. She claimed it wasn't until I filled a formal fraud complaint that number was permanently closed. I can only guess it's that way for other new cards. Oh yeah she did say it was done that way for my convenience.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:14 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I pretty much use one card exclusively and regularly charge $2500-$3k monthly to it. I can't remember ever having fraudulent charges on that card or any of my cards (knock on wood). I have gotten new cards in the mail due to some possible hack at a merchant where a card was used (Target) but have never found any charges on my account that I or my wife hadn't put there. Maybe I am not looking close enough or I'm not challenging my DW's charges enough?!?

I guess I/We have been lucky

I guess I shouldn't admit to just finding a $2.50 recurring charge on my comcast bill for some equipment that I had returned last October
Old 07-10-2015, 07:14 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
I pretty much use one card exclusively and regularly charge $2500-$3k monthly to it. I can't remember ever having fraudulent charges on that card or any of my cards (knock on wood).
Yeah, well. We charge over $3,000 per month on the subject card and have for about ten years without incidence. Lightening strike?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
same thing here. Lots of fake numbers on my phone for all types of various info I need to keep.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I never had an issue until a few months ago when the bank called to ask if I had just bought 1000 gallons of gas in Australia. I had not of course, just exactly where do you put 1000 gallons of gas? First and so far only fraudulent charge.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote