My "don't care" portfolio

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have things set up where I am ambivalent about the ongoing shutdown/debt debate.

60% stock index (SPY, VT, VXUS, VWO) in 401K and taxable
10% bond index (PIMCO total) in 401K
23% cash (was more but paid off home mortgage) in taxable
5% gold (GLD bought Friday at $122) in IRA
2% puts on SPY in IRA

Stagnant market won't kill me. 10% gain in stocks would be nice. 10% drop in the market would be a great buy point for my 20% cash and the puts would boost my IRA to about a 500% return for this year (or they expire worthless and it drops from 34% return to 31%).

Note that I do care what happens to the country, I just don't know what is going to happen so trying to position well myself in all scenarios.

It is nice portfolio..... I would probably not have VT with 0.19% fee.

Instead I would consider High quality, wide moat index like VIG or SCHD or better yet both. Both are cheaper then VT. With remainder of VT exposure in VXUS.

It is nice portfolio..... I would probably not have VT with 0.19% fee.

Instead I would consider High quality, wide moat index like VIG or SCHD or better yet both. Both are cheaper then VT. With remainder of VT exposure in VXUS.

Good point but I have a pretty big taxable gain in VT and really don't want to pay right now to switch it (we are right up against AMT levels). Perhaps future contributions of that nature into VIG, SCHD, and VXUS.

Thanks for the tip.

What strike and expiration are these?

Nov $170, bought Friday at $2.80

I probably will exit them for a loss if a deal is reached early this week, or exit them for a profit if we get a significant drop to the $160 area.

About 6 months ago I just shrugged my shoulders and opened up an Amex on line savings account and shoved 3 years of expenses in it. I find it has lowered my market watching anxiety substantially. We're at about 2.5% WR anyway, so the fact that this money is only generating 0.85% isn't a big deal.

I need about a 4% SWR so I probably can't afford to let a lot of cash stay out of the market for long periods. Then again, if the market just keeps going up, the 60% I have in stocks will be more than enough to give me a large return. The only reason I am paying close attention to the market is I want to catch that moment of panic, if it happens, so I can buy low.

Back
Top Bottom