My first homeowner’s insurance claim

These look like a great idea. What happens if you are away from home though?

I have a weather station at my home, Ambient Weather WS-2000. It allows me to add up to 4 leak detectors to their system. The data is sent via wifi to my personal weather page. On that page I can set up parameters to message or email me when the parameter is met. In this case, when the leak detector goes off, I get a text and an email sent to me. Originally, it was designed to message me when wind exceeded a certain speed, rain started or increased to a given rate, temperature got below freezing, etc.

Also, this system has what is known as IFTTT. IFTTT stands for; IF This, Then THAT. It allows the control of a switch, valve, etc. In this case, I have a valve that is connected to a controller. In my case, I used an irrigation/sprinkler controller. The controller is also IFTTT compatible. When the leak detector senses water, the IFTTT signal is broadcast to the controller and the controller operates the output volts to actuate the solenoid on the valve to the water leading into my house.

I paid around $250 for the weather station and $8 for each leak detector. The irrigation controller was around $200 but it also is used to water my landscape. (Landscaping has moisture sensors that detect % of water in the soil and turns on and off that zone as needed based on moisture content. These moisture sensors are also part of my WS-2000 weather station as add-ons, just like the leak detectors are)
The valve for the house main water source was under $100.

In the end, if I have any water leak, the sensor will detect it, email and text me and turn off the main source of water to my house.

I started with just the weather station, then when Ambient Weather sold leak detectors, I bought those. When I discovered they could contact me with any weather condition; freezing temps, high winds, etc. I asked if they would include the leak detectors and they complied. When I later discovered the IFTTT technology was included, I added the ability to shut off the water source. This was done over the past year as I learned of the technologies and the potential of my simple weather station.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. I had been with USAA for decades and then switched to State Farm. Within a few months of the switch, my Tahoe cabin had serious water damage from snow melting on the porch and leaking into the home when no one was around to notice for weeks. State Farm was great. They technically didn’t need to cover a snow melt claim but they did. When their appraiser’s estimate fell short of actual contractor estimates, State Farm increased the payout without a fight. I never noticed any increase in premium afterwards and received no guilt from my agent even though I felt guilty that I’d only had their insurance for a few months. Overall they made this unpleasant experience relatively pleasant and now I’m loyal to them. Suggestions: document everything, keep receipts, and politely but firmly push back if you feel you’re being low balled on repairs. To you this is personal and close. To your insurance company it’s just business and they’d likely like to keep you happy within reason.

Sorry to hear this. Was any recent work done on the toilet, such that someone else's insurance (like a plumber's) might apply?

This truism applies ... regardless of the company, its catchy slogans, or its mascots: "It is the job of the insurance company not to pay." They are all the same.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear this. Was any recent work done on the toilet, such that someone else's insurance (like a plumber's) might apply?

This truism applies ... regardless of the company, its catchy slogans, or its mascots: "It is the job of the insurance company not to pay." They are all the same.

Good luck.

It was actually my fault. I installed a bidet toilet seat and it worked fine for a year but then the line must have loosened just slightly and caused a tiny drip that went unnoticed for some period of time. I think the drip was so small that it didn’t even make a noise or cause a puddle. It just dripped slowly down the wall and through the floor to the two levels below.

I’m using a contractor that Amica referred so they handle the negotiations on the cost of repairs directly with the contractor. So if the contractor needs more money they go directly to Amica to get it approved and I just stay out of the way.

Good luck.

We had a leak under the kitchen sink at the sink drain from misaligned plumbing that had caused a pipe to disconnect over time (half-assed install). Luckily, we caught it before any damage was done. We probably could have fixed it ourselves but it was worth having a pro come in just to be sure. We had diagnosed the issue correctly and it took no time for the plumber to fix.

We found this issue when we going through the house checking things before having a plumbing inspection to increase our water coverage that is limited to $10,000 due to the age of the house (over 40 years). Everything was replaced in 2014 when the house was completely rehabbed prior to us purchasing it but an inspector has to verify everything. Instead of getting the inspection and paying an extra $200 per year for additional water damage coverage, we opted to install the Phyn system to prevent water damage. Doing an annual (at minimum) self-inspection is still a good idea, though.

Good luck.
And this is why I don't do handyman work, even though I'd love to. This exact scenario gives me nightmares.

And remember, it isn't necessarily the homeowner who will sue you, it is the insurance company. Not my company, but the homeowner's. They've got the heft to find you and come after you.

Quick update:

Servpro came out and ripped out the wet drywall and insulation on all three floors and dried everything out. They don’t do the repairs so the insurance company referred me to another contractor that could do the repairs. They also sent out their own claims adjuster who inspected the job and came up with an estimate of $16,000 to do the repairs. I have a $2,500 deductible. The next day they wired $13,500 to my bank account to cover the repairs.

The contractor came out on December 17th to inspect the repair job. And now I’m sitting around...waiting. They claim they sent their estimate to Contractor Connection, who has to review and approve the quote before sending it to Amica for review. Apparently they had some questions and kicked it back to the contractor. So I’m still waiting for the contractor, Contractor Connection, and Amica to approve this quote before they show it to me, at which point the job can be scheduled.

I could just hire my own contractor but then if it costs more I have to negotiate with Amica. If I go with their contractor they agree to pay whatever it costs. And they warrant the work for a year after the job is completed. So I think I’m better off waiting. But not having a toilet in the master bedroom is getting old. I’m hoping we can get things started after New Years.

Quick update:

Servpro came out and ripped out the wet drywall and insulation on all three floors and dried everything out. They don’t do the repairs so the insurance company referred me to another contractor that could do the repairs. They also sent out their own claims adjuster who inspected the job and came up with an estimate of $16,000 to do the repairs. I have a $2,500 deductible. The next day they wired $13,500 to my bank account to cover the repairs.

The contractor came out on December 17th to inspect the repair job. And now I’m sitting around...waiting. They claim they sent their estimate to Contractor Connection, who has to review and approve the quote before sending it to Amica for review. Apparently they had some questions and kicked it back to the contractor. So I’m still waiting for the contractor, Contractor Connection, and Amica to approve this quote before they show it to me, at which point the job can be scheduled.

I could just hire my own contractor but then if it costs more I have to negotiate with Amica. If I go with their contractor they agree to pay whatever it costs. And they warrant the work for a year after the job is completed. So I think I’m better off waiting. But not having a toilet in the master bedroom is getting old. I’m hoping we can get things started after New Years.

As a contractor who is on the Contractor Connection, they are slow , mostly this time of year. Great thing is they make sure your contractor is doing or will do a good job. Amica is awesome also. It is a process.

I live in Florida. My homeowner's insurance goes up every year and I have NEVER made a claim in the 27 1/2 years I have lived here! :)

Mike

Back
Top Bottom