Join Early Retirement Today

Re: My IRA with VANGUARD
Old 04-02-2006, 07:47 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

frujinator-
Your understanding is correct. SEP's, etc. are taxed on withdrawl, therefore trying to manage taxes is such an account is unnecessary.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2006, 07:48 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Great, thanks for the clarification!
frujinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:56 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

frujinator ... check my post above for some Vanguard international index funds.

I hear Dodge & Cox has a great fund as well, though we're not in it right now ... do a search on the forum, and you'll learn more. I'm sure others here can contribute more ideas of funds they appreciate.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just want a list of funds that will appreciate.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

YES ME TOO!!!!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is "My IRA with Vanguard" the sequel to "My Dinner with Andre"?

Old 04-02-2006, 09:58 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Confused
Old 04-03-2006, 04:44 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Dinner_With_Andre
Old 04-03-2006, 08:55 AM   #29

Fruj,

Here's why I mention converting some funds to a Roth.

When you put money in an IRA or SEPIRA, you deduct it from your income now, and pay taxes on it when you take it out.* The way you're going, you'll have lots of money when you take it out, and will be in a high tax bracket. I'm guessing that right now, you're not in such a high tax bracket.* So, although the IRA will compound tax free, you'll be paying a lot of tax on it later. If you take out a million bucks when you're 60, you'll pay taxes on it.

With a Roth, you don't deduct it now (that is, you pay tax on the money now), but you don't have to pay taxes on it when you take it out. If you take out a million bucks when you're 60, you won't pay a penny in taxes.

Other things being equal, and assuming you'll be in a higher tax bracket when you are 60+, it would be much smarter to have more of your money in a Roth IRA. Even if your tax bracket doesn't change, a Roth is usually better.* Google Roth Calculator for more on this.

Other factors may be important, but if you are in a super low tax bracket now, converting to Roth might make you much more money.

You can convert part or all of your SEP-IRA money to a Roth, and you'll pay taxes on it now.* But once in the Roth, it will just be like any other Roth money.

You've done the right thing by starting early, and you don't need to worry about the details.* However, if you want to get into investing as a hobby, details like this can improve your returns significantly.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Agree with Spanky.

Vanguard International Stock Index Fund is a fund of funds that has a mix of Euro, Pac, EM to the tune of 62%, 26.2% and 11.8%. There is only a 3% turnover rate and has an ER of .31%.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Other things being equal, and assuming you'll be in a higher tax bracket when you are 60+, it would be much smarter to have more of your money in a Roth IRA.*
Aye, there's the rub.

ER'ing in our 40s has put us in our lowest tax brackets ever, and we'll have incremental Roth conversions finished by the time we're in our 50s. I wouldn't necessarily race into a Roth conversion if I was still bringing in more than $15K/year earned income.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

I hear what you saying Trombone AL, But i have already maxed out my ROTH for 2005, and I will max it out every year as long as I continue investing!

Thanks for the advice!

Tags
ira, vanguard