My Klipsch Speaker Forum has over 25,000 members vs. less than 4,000 ER members.

Cut-Throat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am into tube audio and Hi Fidelity Stereo systems. This is seemingly a very small percentage of the U.S. population. One small subset of this population is those that own Klipsch Speakers. I get a lot of audio advice on the Klipsch speaker forum. They have over 25,000 members! :eek:

Now everyone in the U.S. should be planning for their financial future (100's of Millions of folks) and their eventual retirement, but yet this forum has a measly 3800 members. :confused: - And probably only 40-50 regular posters. - Pretty insignificant! This is an amazing statistic to me!

What it says to me is that hardly anyone is interested in retirement planning. - What this should mean is good news for us. 8) Not many retiring hence they are continuing to work and will pump money into the SS system and the economy.

What it also says to me is: No wonder all those financial advisors are able to make a great living. They can skim a lot of money from the disinterested folks while they're not looking! :D

Cut-Throat said:
What it says to me is that hardly anyone is interested in retirement planning. - What this should mean is good news for us. 8) Not many retiring hence they are continuing to work and will pump money into the SS system and the economy.

What it says to me is that there will be massive crowds of poor people who can vote themselves a bigger share of your stash through much higher taxation. After all you have so much and they need their fair share !

Re: My Klipsch Speaker Forum has over 25,000 members vs. less than 4,000 ER memb

Never thought about it much Cut-Throat. I'm fairly surprised by your results. Maybe talking finances is some taboo subject for people.

Don't worry some of us lurke more than others :LOL: I'm still going to plan my retirement 8)

The majority of people are ignorant about finance!

I do believe that are quite a number of people who have saved a nest egg of some sort... But they are not interested in learning.... they just intend to wing it.

Re: My Klipsch Speaker Forum has over 25,000 members vs. less than 4,000 ER memb

Hi C-T,

Many years ago when we moved into this house, there was a custom built wall unit in the living room. It had fairly good sized speaker bays. I didn't know what speakers I'd eventually install. An audiophile buddy introduced me to Klipsch and I was hooked. The KG 3.2s fit perfectly. The light oak is still perfect. A few years later I scrapped the wall unit but the speakers are still in use.

Also my surround sound center speaker is a K! ;)

ER site has poor marketing :D

teejayevans said:
ER site has poor marketing :D

LOL because quitting work early and doing what you want needs to be marketed :D

Cut-Throat said:

Keep pumping money into the SS system baby! Hmmmm...........I sound a little like Dick Vitale. :eek:

Kind of a head in the sand tactic......focus on your toys and hobbies----retirement(?) -- thats way off in the future and will work out fine!

Back in March my company hosted a Vanguard retirement workshop. It was an all day deal with a really nice FREE lunch included. Out of 3000 employees about 30 people attended and half of them were spouses.

I went just as a sanity check on my own retirement plans but was really amazed at how many people weren't there.

My feeling is they will start worrying about retirement when they get there, right now they are living life in the fast lane and don't have the time.

Cut-Throat said:
I am into tube audio and Hi Fidelity Stereo systems. This is seemingly a very small percentage of the U.S. population. One small subset of this population is those that own Klipsch Speakers. I get a lot of audio advice on the Klipsch speaker forum. They have over 25,000 members! :eek:
Now everyone in the U.S. should be planning for their financial future (100's of Millions of folks) and their eventual retirement, but yet this forum has a measly 3800 members. :confused: - And probably only 40-50 regular posters. - Pretty insignificant! This is an amazing statistic to me!
What it also says to me is: No wonder all those financial advisors are able to make a great living. They can skim a lot of money from the disinterested folks while they're not looking! :D
What this says to me is that AndyR is buying the wrong discussion boards...

Not a surprising stat at all. When I look at the majority of people I know IRL I think it would be safe to assume they would join your Klipsch Speaker Forum rather than deal with anything to do with retirement.

hmmm.... Of course I could be wrong...but.... I would bet that most of the 25000 members at the Klipsch speaker forum have less than a dozen posts. When a person purchases an expensive speaker (or tires, or almost anything) and then has a question about it they can usually join a forum. They post a few questions, get their answers and you never hear from them again.

I see some of my cow-orkers frantically posting away on the BMW and Porsche forums. I suspect that those forums have thousands of members also. And a few probably post here.

UncleHoney said:
Back in March my company hosted a Vanguard retirement workshop. It was an all day deal with a really nice FREE lunch included. Out of 3000 employees about 30 people attended and half of them were spouses.
I went just as a sanity check on my own retirement plans but was really amazed at how many people weren't there.
My feeling is they will start worrying about retirement when they get there, right now they are living life in the fast lane and don't have the time.
Interesting comments, IBM has started a new benefit, free FAs. They have seminars
that you go to first, then you can sign up with a FA. With no retirement plans,
its now going to be entirely up to the person to save for their own retirement.

Maybe we need to teach financial planning in high school, or is it human nature
not to worry about something that is 10+ years away?
TJ

bssc said:
I see some of my cow-orkers frantically posting away on the BMW and Porsche forums. I suspect that those forums have thousands of members also. And a few probably post here.

Posting questions related to why they require so much maintenance and why they are expensive? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

How many actually post:confused: And what can you discuss after a bit:confused:

I had two BILs that had Klipsch... and they were BIG a$$ speakers... they had good sound, but was not quite right... and one of them was a tube guy!!

One BIL is divorced, so have not heard anything about him in years.. the other went to Legacy... better speakers IMO... more clear sound.. but like any audio, it is in the ear of the beholder..

Its part of why they call it "early retirement." If it were the norm, it wouldn't be "early" and the subject of such a small minority on the Interner. :)

Texas Proud said:
How many actually post:confused: And what can you discuss after a bit:confused:

I had two BILs that had Klipsch... and they were BIG a$$ speakers... they had good sound, but was not quite right... and one of them was a tube guy!!

One BIL is divorced, so have not heard anything about him in years.. the other went to Legacy... better speakers IMO... more clear sound.. but like any audio, it is in the ear of the beholder..

I have owned a couple pairs of Legacy Speakers. They put more money in their cabinets, but that's about it. They are not considered 'audiophile' speakers by most. But they will sound better with Solid State amps than Klipschorns will.

IF the large Klipsch speakers did not sound right, it is my guess that they were overpowered. They are very efficient speakers and I drive mine with 2 watt SET tube amplifiers. If they were powered with Solid State amplifiers, they would sound like a bandsaw. - Just awful. I have Klipschorns that fit into a corner - The amplification is critical to sound quality. Hook up a powerful solid state amp to them and you will cover your ears.

What do you discuss after a bit - you ask? - The multitudes of amplifer topology. Most build their own. Speaker crossovers. Room acoustics - the subject is endless. This would be akin to asking what you discuss on a retirement forum -- 'How to adjust your chair on the beach?' :D

I had a friend back in the 70's who built a pair of Klipshorns from scratch. They were awesome.

I never got into horns, but the best sounding speaker I ever heard in my life I built out of a discarded open-back TV cabinet (21" B/W Westinghouse if I recall correctly) when they were still made out of wood, with 6" full-range drivers from some surplus electronics outlet, driven by a home-brew 6V6 single-ended amplifier, (6AQ5 -> 6V6). My old Garrard turntable with ceramic cartridge drove the amp directly. I can still remember blasting Who's Next at full overdrive through this rig, and I believe to this day that this was a contributing factor to my mother's early demise (just kidding).

I'm not kidding. The first set of home-brew speakers always sound the best, and you spend the rest of your life trying to recreate that sound!

My best-sounding guitar amp cabinet was a 12" woofer mounted on top of a steel garbage can!

Yeah, my hearing's shot!

nearly50 said:
Yeah, my hearing's shot!

So is mine: Rock and Roll as a youth, firearms, and fireworks. I am very careful about hearing protection now that the horse is out of the barn.

I hang out on a Ford diesel truck web page and the young'uns are are all upset about the "low quality" speakers on the stock stereos in their trucks. I am quite happy with mine as now they all sound the same to me: no highs due to tinnitus.

Mike D.

I think the key phrase that turns most away is "Early." There was an article today that said 20% of people plan to work until they die. Of the rest, most can't conceive of "early" retirement, even if thinking about early retirement will help them plan for any retirement age. But to most working stiffs, the idea of early retirement implies getting laid off, being a bum, or being rich.

SoonToRetire said:
I think the key phrase that turns most away is "Early." There was an article today that said 20% of people plan to work until they die. Of the rest, most can't conceive of "early" retirement, even if thinking about early retirement will help them plan for any retirement age. But to most working stiffs, the idea of early retirement implies getting laid off, being a bum, or being rich.
I think you are right. I have friends who say they'll never stop working, ever. I just llisten and smile. I do not share my ER dreams with anyone except my wife.

Back
Top Bottom