Join Early Retirement Today

My net worth has increased 74% since I retired 4 years ago
Old 04-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

My net worth has increased 74% since I retired 4 years ago

I retired April 3,2017 at age 51 and my net worth is 74% higher today than it was on my retirement date. Thats insane.

This post probably wont age well, we'll probably have a market crash soon. Thats ok. I can handle a 50-70% market pullback.
Digger1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2021, 03:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I retired a month later than you and pretty much the same results. The good news is that we are less likely to experience sequence of returns risk since our net worth has gone up so much in the first four years of retirement. If we based our retirement on a 4% withdrawal rate of our initial balance at retirement, we should be very well positioned moving forward.

I just rebalanced yesterday to take some of the gains off the table. No reason to be too greedy when things are going so well.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:12 PM   #3

5 years here, and up 50%. AA is 55/45. Crazy.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #4

6 years and 50% here, although part of that is the insane house inflation in Reno after we moved (I'm underestimating the house by 20% just in case). I cut down from 50/35/15 in 2018 to 40/35/25 last February, in fears of SORR, then have just allowed the stock % to go up from a low of 37% to now 50% (I put in about 4% late last March when the allocation hit 37%).
With SS about 3.5 years away and too much cash, I'm letting the stock allocation go up to 55% and eventually 60% when I start drawing SS since SORR is much less than it was 2-4 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1000 View Post
I retired April 3,2017 at age 51 and my net worth is 74% higher today than it was on my retirement date. Thats insane.

This post probably wont age well, we'll probably have a market crash soon. Thats ok. I can handle a 50-70% market pullback.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:54 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I retired 9 years ago, and my wife 14 years ago.

My stash is currently 2.01x its value back in 2012, when my earned income stopped.

While I have more money, our expenses shrunk over the years when the kids got out of college and flew the coop, such that our trailing 12-month expenses are just 2% of the stash value. That 2% of portfolio even includes a recently purchased new car paid in cash.

My WR is lower than 2%, because my wife has started her SS, while I am still delaying mine. And of course I do not buy a new car each year.

The car before this one was also purchased new in 2003. That car still only has around 30K miles on the odometer. I think I am done with buying cars in this life. Back to WR below 1%.

Who would have thunk the market god would be so generous. If he turns off the spigot, well I think I can survive.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:24 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

That's pretty exciting. Were you in construction by chance with that username?
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:14 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
That's pretty exciting. Were you in construction by chance with that username?
No. Its my nickname based off my last name.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I retired 9 years ago, and my wife 14 years ago.

My stash is currently 2.01x its value back in 2012, when my earned income stopped.

While I have more money, our expenses shrunk over the years when the kids got out of college and flew the coop, such that our trailing 12-month expenses are just 2% of the stash value. That 2% of portfolio even includes a recently purchased new car paid in cash.

My WR is lower than 2%, because my wife has started her SS, while I am still delaying mine. And of course I do not buy a new car each year.

The car before this one was also purchased new in 2003. That car still only has around 30K miles on the odometer. I think I am done with buying cars in this life. Back to WR below 1%.

Who would have thunk the market god would be so generous. If he turns off the spigot, well I think I can survive.
Very,very,very nice. I love it.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Well, my expenses can still go down a bit more as I age.

And when I start SS, the WR will go down even more. Maybe I can just live on our SS? I just don't see anything worthwhile to "blow the dough" on, other than for travel. By the time this Covid is gone, I may be too old to care to get out of town. Oh well.

I still like to see my stash grow. I am an active investor, and this is my pastime.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Similar for us, as with many here I suspect. But I don’t let it go to my head, as we’ll have a serious pullback sooner or later. In the meantime, WHEE!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:13 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

That means you did not spend enough.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:19 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm up an amazing 90% over 7 years and I'm only 65% invested. That's one reason I'm fearful of the market. This crazyness can't go on forever. A side effect of all this is I'm sitting on large capital gains with tax rate (state and federal) looking like they potentially might take off like a rocket ship.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:24 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Similar for us, as with many here I suspect. But I don’t let it go to my head, as we’ll have a serious pullback sooner or later. In the meantime, WHEE!
Absolutely!!

Isn't this economy terrific? Once again, for the zillionth time in the past few years, I can report that today my nestegg (portfolio + bank accounts) is higher than ever before in my entire life. I love it! Even if/when we have a serious pullback, I'd be starting out at a higher amount so I could afford to lose more.

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:51 PM   #14

All of you have done extremely well!! Congratulations!

It will be 5 years on the first of May 2021 for me. I just can't beleive it is 5 years already. WOW! My portfolio is 38% larger then 5 years ago, after expenses for those 5 years of living. As far as net worth and how much that has grown I would be only guessing. The ranch I will never sell but if I had too it would worth about 7 to 8 times more then what I paid for it. My home I'm sure went up some in the last 5 years. I never use net worth for any measuring tool.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:17 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Well done to all.
chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:20 AM   #16

When I see a thread like this, I know a market downturn is coming. Time to rebalance...
teejayevans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:52 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

At only 30+% in the market, my net worth has barely doubled in the 15 years since FIRE. Not too impressive, but I sleep like a baby and rarely check my balances (once a year, maybe.) Of course, I've gone through a bunch of money during that same period, so there's that. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:51 AM   #18

Even after 5 years of heavy capital expenditures my relatively conservative investments are up 28%. Not counting the lakehouse which has skyrocketed in value. On top of that my expensive wish list is shrinking. I've made a lot of purchases while prices were good (new roof, HVAC system, car etc) in anticipation of inflation in the near future.

Grateful for my good fortune. If we're able to resume travel I anticipate my rate of growth to decline significantly. ��
Old 04-10-2021, 05:13 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

It's interesting but for my projections as I approach my date, I shave 30% the day I quit and plan 5% return and 3% inflation and still don't feel too comfortable. Ironically, I think I'd feel better if the market had been flat. I can see things rolling along for a few years but also can see a spike in inflation and crash depending on how the world economy wakes up from the rough start of the 2020s. Inflation is my biggest fear and have a long time horizon so I am staying almost 100% equities.
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:21 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

RE'd 15 years ago with $X in a 60/40 dividend heavy portfolio.

Over the years we've withdrawn a little over that $X amount. Now, 15 years later we have over $2.5X from what we started with despite the withdrawals.

The math geniuses at TRPrice say that my 'Personal Rate of Return' (gains minus withdrawals) has me at +6.8% overall gain 'since incept' despite my withdrawals.

Yes, it's a great economy, but one must be invested--market or real estate etc-- to realize the economy's full potential.