Join Early Retirement Today

My Next Phase
Old 06-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My Next Phase

I just found this website... My Next Phase - Personality Tailored, Non-Financial Retirement Planning, Counseling, and Coaching Services has anyone tried this program ? Any feedback please ? Thank you.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2011, 06:34 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No.... I am a DIYer. It's cheaper! Should come as not surprise... with the people who frequent this forum.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
gone traveling

"My Next Phase will reveal meaningful personal insights by first measuring the seven personality traits which influence how you handle decisions and transitions. Further, the process will actually adjust to your personality, so you can better plan a retirement that meets your individual needs."

Sorry - I can think for myself, TYVM ...

Disclaimer: I don't belong to the Church of Scientology...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'm also a DIYer, but I looked at 'How it Works' on the Next Phase website. Hard to tell what value you'd get since they don't reveal much unless you pay (and that's a red flag to me to begin with), but I'd suggest you first read (free at your local library if you don't want to buy any of them):
  • Work Less, Live More by Bob Clyatt
  • How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free by Ernie Zelinski
  • Encore: Finding Work that Matters in the Second Half of Life by Marc Freedman
And I am sure there are others equally good. I'd be surprised if these don't answer the questions the Next Phase websites poses.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
gone traveling

Isn't that what ERF provides?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

To me, it looks like a rip-off.

I feel as though I already know myself pretty well - - after all, I have spent 63 years in that endeavor. You probably know yourself pretty well too, by now. I can't imagine that a computer question and answer session would provide any insights that you or I do not already have.

Introspection and self knowledge are very helpful in determining one's goals and realizing them. I don't think there are any shortcuts but this website apparently claims to have one (but you must pay first before you find out if they really do, or not). I seriously doubt that you would get your money's worth.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
To me, it looks like a rip-off.
Yup. First thing they do is ask for money, with vague handwaves as to what you might get.

"Personality-tailored guidance" you say? For only $895, I can have five half-hour one-on-one sessions with a 'retirement expert'? Why do I get the feeling there's an E-meter, auditing, and engrams involved?
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
... anyone tried this program ? Any feedback please ? Thank you.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ent-44710.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nts-39332.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post710008

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Looks like they are selling a book.

Amazon.com: My Next Phase: The Personality-Based Guide to Your Best Retirement (9780446581172): Eric Sundstrom, Randy Burnham, Michael Burnham: Books

Here is a suggested reading list (from their site).

My Next Phase - Suggested Reading List
Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #10

If I was having difficulty adjusting to the non-financial aspects of early retirement, I might consider a life coach, but otherwise I would pass. There is no shortage of free advice available on the Internet and books which cover the issues.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have always kept the idea of reading Zelinski's "How to Retire Wild, Happy, and Free" in the back of my mind in case I had trouble with the non-financial aspects of retirement. So many people have said on this board that this book is a great help.

Before retiring I feared I would have such trouble, because I had ignored the non-financial aspects. People at work told me I would be bored and bouncing off walls if I had no purpose in life, and that I would feel empty and unfulfilled. One even feared that I would die soon after retiring, due to retiring. As for me, I wondered.

Oddly, I have found retirement to be my paradise. Instead of having problems, all of those fears turned out to be completely groundless in my case. Turns out that doing whatever I want to do all day agrees with me and is not a burden to me. Sleeping whenever I want to sleep is pretty wonderful, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Here is the book list from another similar web site that promotes the author's book and services.

Too Young to Retire - Retirement Planning for People Who Aren't Calling It Quits
Go For It
Old 06-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #13

Go For It

If you feel that you could benefit from some coaching then go for it.

What's the big downside ? So their fees range from $119 to $895 depending on what you get. In the big scheme of things paying their fees won't make much difference to the nest egg. Yet if it keeps you from having lots of blue days then it would be well worth the money.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
... has anyone tried this program ? Any feedback please ? Thank you.
Speaking of coaching, a shipmate of my spouse's has just launched her own site:
Oschmann Coaching - Life - Leadership - Transition Coach

I'm not a customer, but I'm a fan of her previous work. She's not "tough love", more like "figuring out the tough questions", but she understands.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #15

I was thinking the same. I may give it a try, but not sure yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
What's the big downside ? So their fees range from $119 to $895 depending on what you get. In the big scheme of things paying their fees won't make much difference to the nest egg.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote