My portfolio is even with February 1st 2018

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This morning I checked my investment and with the DOWJ up yesterday just to see where I compared to number this year. So from yesterday June 6th my investments are a few thousand less even with the DOWJ is still 1050 points less then on February 1st, 2018.

I'm not a financial guru but it is interesting to me that the numbers are doing well and are comparing very close to the all time highs. Of course February 1st, 2018 (26196 DOWJ)wasn't the highest but I just generally look and record the start of each month.

I'm sure all are in comparison to my gain/growth in your portfolio.

I forgot to add that I do nothing no selling or buying and never have done any re-balancing in my portfolio in the last 40 years.

Last edited:
I looked at my records and I am up 7K from Feb 1-June 6. Part of that is from re investments of dividends. In any case I will take it.

Cool! Thanks for the update.

I looked at my records and I am up 7K from Feb 1-June 6. Part of that is from re investments of dividends. In any case I will take it.

That is great I'm just happy to be just about even from the historical month of 2018.

I am about even for the year with bonds being the biggest culprit. You should always hate at least one of your assets if you are truly diversified.:mad:

Bonds are in my tax deferred account and are down about 10 grand, stocks in my taxable are up about 10 grand.

I am about even for the year with bonds being the biggest culprit. You should always hate at least one of your assets if you are truly diversified.:mad:

Bonds are in my tax deferred account and are down about 10 grand, stocks in my taxable are up about 10 grand.

I really like that quote of yours "You should always hate at least one of your assets if you are truly diversified.:mad:"

Nice!

Some interesting comparisons:

Feb 1-Jun 6: Down $21k
Jan 29-Jun 6: Down $40k
Jan 1-Jun 6: Up $22k

This morning I checked my investment and with the DOWJ up yesterday just to see where I compared to number this year. So from yesterday June 6th my investments are a few thousand less even with the DOWJ is still 1050 points less then on February 1st, 2018.

I do it a slightly different way: At the start of the year, I set an expected return, say 6%.

Then I run down 52 weeks in Excel showing where I should be at the end of each week and then run a lookup table to see where I am compared to where I should be.

As of last night (6/6) "It Is" April 4th, which is good seeing as a few weeks ago it was November 21st of '17. (In early January it was already October of '18 but that obviously faded away)

Marko >>> Ya you way smarter then me and a very nice way to have a look back and compare.

I don't keep track for everyday but is fun to see if I have gained and where it compared to the past.

Thanks interesting stuff.

This has me curious to see how I compare. I can remember peaking out at around 5% or so back sometime in January, when the market spiked. But, I only save the last day of the month as a data point in my spreadsheet, and I know it was down a bit by January 31. And I believe there was a point in February, perhaps March as well, that I had gone negative for the year. I do remember at one point, making a calculation that this essentially put me back to November 2017, just a few months before, and that made it seem less catastrophic.

Anyway, as of last night, I think I was up around 5.3% for the year. And a good deal of that has just been in the few trading days of June. I think I was up around 3.8% as of 5/31.

The S&P and the total bond market are still down compared to their value on Feb 1st.

So, if one's portfolio is up or breaks even with Feb 1st and he makes no trade, then he cannot be an indexer.

I am not an indexer either, and I also trade. And yes, I am up from Feb 1st.

Last edited:
It is just very interesting to me that I'm right there just a tad less from historical highs. We all made a lot of money in that long upward market and really still right there even with all that has happened etc..

Andre1969 >>> I'm right there also for the first 5 month's of 2018 @ 5.10%. I feel very good about that!

Last edited:
The S&P and the total bond market are still down compared to their value on Feb 1st. So, if one's portfolio is up or breaks even with Feb 1st and he makes no trade, then he cannot be an indexer. ...
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. If by saying the S&P index is down compared to Feb. 1st you are talking about the numbers you see published every day, don't forget that there is also dividend yield on the S&P and this part of total return is not reflected in the daily numbers. So a 100% S&P portfolio could easily be up when the headline numbers are not.

Bonds, I have no idea as I have no interest in the "bond market," only in individual bonds but there, too, I expect that the headline numbers are not total return numbers.

The S&P is down about 2% on June 7th compared to Feb 1st. Adding roughly 1% of dividend, and it is still down slightly. So, if one breaks even, he still beats the S&P by a little bit.

The S&P and the total bond market are still down compared to their value on Feb 1st.

So, if one's portfolio is up or breaks even with Feb 1st and he makes no trade, then he cannot be an indexer.

I disagree, unless you’re saying that ongoing monthly investments qualify as “trading”?

I keep a variety of indices in my portfolio. Dow (DIA), NASDAQ (QQQ), S&P500 (SPY), REIT (VGSIX), total bond, and an intl index. Each moves on its own and given weighting between industrials, financials and tech the 3 big cap indices often get out of sync for a period.

As I add money each month I gently keep balance by investing a slightly different mix, based on the moves in the indices, to nudge back towards my AA. I never sell except in a structured rebalancing event.

As the indices move around its very easy to be up or down vs. the organic moves in the indices themselves because the new money each month goes into the indices that are down relative to the others.

And yet, I am 100% an index investor with a fixed AA target, not a trader.

I'm not a financial guru but it is interesting to me that the numbers are doing well and are comparing very close to the all time highs. Of course February 1st, 2018 (26196 DOWJ)wasn't the highest but I just generally look and record the start of each month.

I'm sure all are in comparison to my gain/growth in your portfolio.
As far as the net total, I found that June 1 total was only off a few thousand from Feb 1.
:dance:

Here is a morningstar.com "growth-of" chart from 1 Feb 2018 to today:

gio4auF.png

I suppose one didn't want to be in International equities nor the total US bond fund.

Here is a morningstar.com "growth-of" chart from 1 Feb 2018 to today:

gio4auF.png

I suppose one didn't want to be in International equities nor the total US bond fund.
Int'l Equities accounts for ~35% of my 55% equity allocation. Worked out well last year. Roll with the punches.:)

LOL! >>> thanks for that chart it is very informative.

... I suppose one didn't want to be in International equities nor the total US bond fund.
Yes, of course. All one has to do is to follow Will Rogers' investment advice: "If it doesn't go up, don't buy it."

Me, I want to be in them all. All the time.

I don't think that trying to pick sectors is any more productive than trying to pick stocks. Related, interesting news this week: Vanguard is removing their S&P 500 index fund (a US large cap sector fund) as a 401K option and telling employees that they will be better off in a total US market fund.

Back
Top Bottom