Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If you don't have Malwarebytes on it, please start using it now.
This is software over and above Norton anti-virus? Is it free?
Golden sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
and "no robo calls".
How does TWC know when a call is a robocall? Is there a device I can use to detect and block such calls?
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This is software over and above Norton anti-virus? Is it free?
There is a free version, but I've found it's worth paying for. The paid version updates more quickly to keep up with new malware.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
How does TWC know when a call is a robocall? Is there a device I can use to detect and block such calls?
I'm not sure if there is a "device" out there for sale. One of the posters on this string did mention nomorobo, which I believe is a service which intervenes when robocalls are detected. I suspect that is available on the market for subscription. In my case TIME Warner offers the nomorobo feature free, but it goes beyond blocking robo calls, and also offers "call blocker basic" and "call blocker plus", actually separate features from nomorobo. With basic, only anonymized calls are blocked, and with Plus both anonymized and spoof phone numbers are blocked.

As far as "how does TWC know" - technology I assume. It's not surprising to me that their system can tell, but it was a revelation to me that this service existed from TWC, which in most other circumstances I feel is part of the evil empire.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maenad View Post
There is a free version, but I've found it's worth paying for. The paid version updates more quickly to keep up with new malware.
OK - well if this continues to happen I'll install it on Mom's computer. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:43 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
........... TIME Warner offers the nomorobo feature free, but it goes beyond blocking robo calls, and also offers "call blocker basic" and "call blocker plus", actually separate features from nomorobo. With basic, only anonymized calls are blocked, and with Plus both anonymized and spoof phone numbers are blocked.................
Pretty soon, we will have to pay protection to the post office not to deliver junk mail.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I just got a message the Microsoft has locked my computer and to call an 888 number. I also thought of this thread
I once got a message like that and I couldn't close the window the usual way (click the X on the upper-right corner). I was able to open Task Manager (ctrl+alt+delete) and close the offending browser window. At worst, I'd have to close all the open browser windows. I then did a quick scan from Windows defender and another by Malwarebytes to make sure nothing toxic had been planted on my PC. It was fine.

My dad is 85 but he knows to hang up on anyone he doesn't know or is not expecting a call from, as he hates phone calls as much as I do. Luckily for him, he got a new phone number a few years ago when he dumped his phone company and took on the cable company's "triple-play" package which includes high-speed internet (he still had dial-up!), landline phone, and cable-TV, saving him a few bucks along the way while eliminating most of those unwanted calls. He forgot to give out his new phone number to a few people (his financial advisor; don't worry, I keep an eye that stuff) and one of them called me, all worried that something had happened to him!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #68

Quote:
OK - well if this continues to happen I'll install it on Mom's computer. Thanks.
Actually, my point was that there may already be malware on her computer. You would have no way to detect it, but Malwarebytes can not only find it but eliminate it. No computer should be without it IMHO.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
You can always install the free version, try it, and later if you think it's worth it upgrade to paid.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
Several neighbors are very happy with the free Nomorobo service mentioned in the Kiplinger article. Also, some phone and cable companies have a feature to block unwanted calls, which you access by logging in to the account. If you think you need to take a more active role in managing these calls, you can log in (with her password) and review call history and mark numbers to block. I personally ported my landline to Google Voice which offers spam blocking and other call screening/filtering features.
Just wanted to add to this reply, as we also ported our landline to a cheap cell phone - then to google voice.

This allowed us to keep our original landline number active, and for it to follow us wherever we go. (No need to change any numbers with contacts if/when we change cell providers). We no longer have a regular land line phone, only cell phones. Being that it was originally registered as a land line - it gets the marketing calls regularly. Google voice allows you to set up so that your registered contacts go directly through w/o any screening. Those not in your contacts have to record their name and then the call goes to you to accept or reject (go to voicemail). Most marketers/scammers hang up, or you get the voice mail ending of a robo call "press 2 to be connected" recorded. You have the option of marking it spam and blocking the call. Since most marketers/scammers just keep using phony numbers - setting Google voice up for screening works great at stopping them.

You can also get the Google voice app for your cellphones, which allows you to mask your actual cell number to your Google voice number. Your calls are ID'd as your Google Voice number. No one can capture your cell number... There is another free app you can install called Mr. Number. This allows you to block calls and to set your cell phone to accept only certain criteria. We have our main carry-with cell phone set to accept only "contacts" callers - leaving all other calls to be caught by the home cell phone. Between Google Voice screening, Google voice app, and Mr. Number call blocking - not too much gets through (there is very seldom a marketing caller that's willing to risk the hurdles to connect).

If your Mom is Ok with a cell phone (older flip phones would also work with Google Voice - just needs to be a cell phone) - you could set up a cheap cell phone, and also have anyone calling her previous landline number ring your cell phone as well for monitoring her calls.
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #71

For those who don't have Time Warner, I have found Stop robocalls and telemarketers with Nomorobo to be really effective, and free. I get a couple of one ring calls each day. It warms my heart.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
For those who don't have Time Warner, I have found Stop robocalls and telemarketers with Nomorobo to be really effective, and free. I get a couple of one ring calls each day. It warms my heart.

Looks like only for VOIP phone... my mom has AT&T landline...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Actually, my point was that there may already be malware on her computer. You would have no way to detect it, but Malwarebytes can not only find it but eliminate it. No computer should be without it IMHO.
Agree, the paid version will always be on my computer.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #74

Got it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Looks like only for VOIP phone... my mom has AT&T landline...
NoMoRoBo will work on any phone that has a simultaneous ring feature. I don't know if AT&T landline supports that or not.

You might be able to also use a feature that would ring NoMoRoBo for maybe 4-6 seconds, and then ring your home phone, I dunno.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

I watched an older gentleman give away everything he owned to these people, he sold everything he owned and gave them all the proceeds and no one could tell him anything, he died with in a year of that completely broke.
OneDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #77

Oh how sad!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-29-2016, 07:25 PM   #78

Just in case you did not see this thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nes-83535.html
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:55 AM   #79
Dryer sheet wannabe

recently i was contacted by some company, they said i won a certificate to pass a course in finance. i was kinda frightened because they had my full name and personal phone number, though i'm not the one who gives it right and left. then i got a notification from that my CV was reviewed at the site and the address of that company is the same as the one who called me. they agreed to meet me and give the certificate and so on. how do you think is it some scam or can i give it a try?
juliadream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliadream View Post
......... how do you think is it some scam or can i give it a try?
Scam
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote