Join Early Retirement Today

My RMD & younger spouse Roth conversion?
Old 05-25-2022, 11:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

My RMD & younger spouse Roth conversion?

I'm thinking now might be a good time to do a Roth conversion. I know my RMD has to be done first. I'd rather wait and do the RMD later.

Younger wife doesn't need to do RMD yet. Wife could start a Roth and convert in to it, right? Is there any need for me to take my RMD before younger wife does a Roth conversion?

When I get around to doing my RMD I can withhold enough tax to cover the conversion
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2022, 11:57 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

1) Right, from her own traditional IRA.
2) No.
SevenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:18 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenUp View Post
1) Right, from her own traditional IRA.
2) No.
From her 401k. IRA is small.
Old 05-26-2022, 01:37 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
From her 401k. IRA is small.
You can do a 401(k) -> Roth IRA rollover per the IRS at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rollover_chart.pdf. I think it's much less common than 401(k) -> traditional IRA -> Roth IRA, so it would be wise to be very clear with her 401(k) provider about what you're doing so that they code the 1099-R correctly for you next January.

Before starting you might want to make sure her 401(k) plan permits such a rollover as well. They probably do, but no sense wasting your time starting down a path that isn't possible.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Before starting you might want to make sure her 401(k) plan permits such a rollover as well. They probably do, but no sense wasting your time starting down a path that isn't possible.
+1

Conversions from an IRA can be done at any age, with any employment status, and for any amount.

Conversions from a 401k depend on both IRS law and company-specific rules, and can depend on age, employment status, and amount.

It's quite possible she can do a direct 401k->Roth IRA conversion for a specific amount, but not guaranteed.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:23 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

There's no reason for me to expect that DW's 401k does not allow a Roth conversion.
Either way I can still do one. I've done small 401k to Roth conversion for several years.
Her 401k is a bit larger than mine. We retired at 57 & 55 but not at the same time cus I'm 11 years older. She had more contribution years.

It's apparent we should convert more. Tax rates likely could go up in 2026. DWs social security has to start in 2025, and RMD in 2027.
Old 05-26-2022, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
There's no reason for me to expect that DW's 401k does not allow a Roth conversion.
Some 401k plans don't allow partial withdrawals after retirement - it's either all or nothing.

If you are both retired, then you probably aren't concerned with using the backdoor Roth process so at worst she could roll the whole 401k to an IRA and convert from there.

But yes, there is a reasonable chance her 401k allows partial withdrawals direct to a Roth IRA. That's what Megacorp's plan at Fidelity allows, and we have been doing so.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:52 PM   #8

Even if they won't do a direct conversion, it just means it's a two-step process. You set up a traditional IRA at your favorite brokerage and then move the money from the 401K to the IRA. Once in the IRA, then convert to Roth. That's what we had to do with DW's. We were moving it to Vanguard and it looked like you could do the move to the IRA on-line, but turned out not from that particular 401K, so we had to call them. Still pretty painless.
Exchme is offline   Reply With Quote