Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley View Post
... After all, he...
My he has a feminine voice and identifies himself as Amanda...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #22
Administrator

I'll become a Flagship customer in the New Year when I roll over my 401k. Sounds like I will be under-whelmed.

Just looked, and I'm a Voyager Select customer at present and apparently should already a have a Voyager Select representative. Oh well, at least I can't complain about him bothering me.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My he has a feminine voice and identifies himself as Amanda...
We have Amanda "S." too!

I agree that maybe there's just one (and even though it's a feminine voice, she's really "A man, duh."
Old 11-21-2010, 05:19 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I will say that my Vanguard Concierge representative worked hard and efficiently to get assets moved form Merrill Lynch, and has been constantly available through the process.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #25

I've been with Vanguard (FS status) since March 09. I'm on my 3rd personal advisor/rep although I've only talked with them when I initially set up my accounts.
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Our representative has always been helpful. Set us up with a CFP when we had some questions about gifting to grandchildren and when my wife had an inheritance. We just don't use them very often.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
tour guides all have other jobs at VG and are volunteers to lead tours
Another reason that my ER continues to go down. Thanks for sharing.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

No Flagship here - I'm merely a Voyager Select customer in the midst of an attempt to roll over a CSRS Voluntary Contribution account to a Roth IRA. It's not a common transaction, so I'm running into bureaucratic inertia (especially now we have entered the sacrosanct Holiday Period!!), but not Vanguard inertia. The Vanguard rep gave me good instructions from their end, and has called me twice to see if everything's going OK from my end. Of course VG stands to gain from the transaction, but still - I'm impressed by how she took ownership of the process.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Nobody at Schwab calls me since I made it clear I do not wish to be pestered. But when I call them I usually have a quesion so blindingly simple that they can answer it right away, or a question that requires someone to call me back once they figure out who can answer my question. But no complaints on service.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Nobody at Schwab calls me since I made it clear I do not wish to be pestered. But when I call them I usually have a quesion so blindingly simple that they can answer it right away, or a question that requires someone to call me back once they figure out who can answer my question. But no complaints on service.
No incoming calls from my Schwab rep either and for the same reason. Like you, I find calls to their 800 number generally give excellent results. And we live near a brick and mortar office, so I usually see my assigned rep in person once every year or two with a small list of projects for him. Last time it was setting up POA's for DW, my son and myself on each others accounts. Also, he's quite versed in the nuts and bolts of investing procedures and doesn't mind Q and A sessions on getting things done via their web site.

I usually get several years out of a rep before he/she moves on.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I work with one of Schwab's Orlando-based institutional service team on a daily basis, so if I have any sort of question, they get right on it.
I have been less impressed with the Alliance CSRs at Schwab when I've had rare occasion to call them (they are the "regular" customer reps that account holders must contact). And judging by some of the boneheaded answers they give my clients every now and again, they might need some more training.
The only bad experience I've ever had is with a retail Schwab office rep telling one of our clients some bad information and then not correcting it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I work with one of Schwab's Orlando-based institutional service team on a daily basis, so if I have any sort of question, they get right on it.
I am of the opinion that the Schwab IST reps are hands down THE BEST in the business. Schwab is a company where being a service rep is a career, not simply a stepping stone.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:24 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I agree wholeheartedly with that, Saluki. And that sabbatical program they offer employees is sweet!

Vanguard Rep
Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #34

Vanguard Rep

I moved an inherited IRA to Vanguard. The rep was adamant about leaving the IRA rollover in the same name. I checked further and discovered that changing the joint ownership would have triggered a large tax hit. I received some good advise on what was to me, an arcane tax pitfall. BTW, this was better advise than other professionals gave. YMMV.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
I moved an inherited IRA to Vanguard. The rep was adamant about leaving the IRA rollover in the same name. I checked further and discovered that changing the joint ownership would have triggered a large tax hit. I received some good advise on what was to me, an arcane tax pitfall. BTW, this was better advise than other professionals gave. YMMV.
Interesting....almost all financial firms will NOT transfer that type of account unless the registration stays the same, FINRA and SEC rules. Whose "advice" did you get that did not know that?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:14 AM   #36

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........

Here is a Photo of HMS Vanguard, a British Battleship whose explosion in Scapa flow with the loss of 802 lives was one of the great disasters of WWI

Well You asked for pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: gif vangrd1l.gif (201.8 KB, 0 views)
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Interesting....almost all financial firms will NOT transfer that type of account unless the registration stays the same, FINRA and SEC rules. Whose "advice" did you get that did not know that?
And good luck getting one moved with a different Tax ID #, either!