Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Mystery check from IRS
Old 03-04-2022, 02:55 PM   #1

Mystery check from IRS

I know... don't look a gift horse in the mouth.... but...

We received a check for $4883 today from the IRS.

It is not for this year, from what I can tell because:
1) our refund is smaller
2) some of our refund was to be issued in i-bonds
3) 'where's my refund' shows it's still processing our return.

It is larger than the refund we received last year... and, yes, we received that one.

So... free money from the government? Should I expect a letter explaining it?

What would you do? I'm afraid to cash/spend it because I think it's a mistake...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2022, 02:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Personally, I would sit on it for a few weeks. Sometimes the Gummint puts the cart before the horse and you get a check with an explanation a few weeks later.
Old 03-04-2022, 02:59 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I know... don't look a gift horse in the mouth.... but...

We received a check for $4883 today from the IRS.

It is not for this year, from what I can tell because:
1) our refund is smaller
2) some of our refund was to be issued in i-bonds
3) 'where's my refund' shows it's still processing our return.

It is larger than the refund we received last year... and, yes, we received that one.

So... free money from the government? Should I expect a letter explaining it?

What would you do? I'm afraid to cash/spend it because I think it's a mistake...
Are you certain it’s the IRS? If you have an IRS account you can log in and should see the transaction there.

Edit to add: If you don’t have an IRS account, this is a good reason to open one.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 03:37 PM   #4

I tried logging into the IRS and got stuck on the id.me not accepting my license picture. Will try calling on monday.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:46 PM   #5

Oh - and yes it's from the IRS... US Treasury check and says "12/2020 TAX REFUND" on it. It also indicates, maybe, that $122.13 might be interest...

Last summer we got a letter saying there was a problem with our filing - We'd split the ACA PTC between our son and us since he'd still been on our policy but was no longer a dependent. I sent back a letter explaining, with the math, and pointing to son's SS# etc. Maybe this is a result of that.

I'll still wait and see why, before cashing the check.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:47 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

years ago i got a check, took it to my CPA and said what's this. he called IRS, some one tried a scam... I now have a PIN each year, you have a pin?
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:28 PM   #7
Administrator

A US Treasury check can be verified, here https://tcvs.fiscal.treasury.gov/

If assured it is legit I’d deposit the funds. If the IRS decides it wants the money back you can’t return an uncashed check.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

If assured it is legit I’d deposit the funds. If the IRS decides it wants the money back you can’t return an uncashed check.
Not questioning your knowledge, but WHY can't you just return an uncashed check?
Old 03-04-2022, 04:43 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

It's possible that someone else filing taxes made an error with their direct deposit account info.
retiredunder50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 04:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Not questioning your knowledge, but WHY can't you just return an uncashed check?
You can. Here are the directions: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc161

Quote:
If your refund was a paper Treasury check and hasn't been cashed:

1. Write "Void" in the endorsement section on the back of the check.
2. Submit the check immediately, but no later than 21 days, to the appropriate IRS location listed below. The location is based on the city (possibly abbreviated) on the bottom text line in front of the words TAX REFUND on your refund check.
3. Don't staple, bend, or paper clip the check.
4. Include a note stating "Return of erroneous refund check" and give a brief explanation of the reason for returning the refund check.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:01 PM   #11

Quote:
I tried logging into the IRS and got stuck on the id.me not accepting my license picture. Will try calling on monday.
Having just signed up two days ago, I can say that ID.me is all about the light.

I found that using a lamp, with a compact fluorescent bulb and a lampshade worked was the only thing that worked for my license. So then walked over to a window for natural light for the facial recognition part. No go. Tried another window. No go again. Stood 2ft in front of that same lamp and bingo, worked fine.
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:05 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredunder50 View Post
It's possible that someone else filing taxes made an error with their direct deposit account info.

please ignore, I overlooked the fact it was a check
retiredunder50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 05:10 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I’d deposit the funds. If the IRS decides it wants the money back you can’t return an uncashed check.
This. No angst, just be ready to return the money until at least a few months have passed. Until then, it's part of your AA.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:22 PM   #14

Quote:

Thanks for this. The check is legit.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:24 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

My case is the opposite. I filed my return for a refund. Today, I received notification that a refund came in to my bank account. It's several hundreds less. I logged in to the IRS id site but can't get an explanation. Tried calling the 800 #. Couldn't get a person. I suspect it has something to do with the economic stimulus.
ER2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 06:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post
Having just signed up two days ago, I can say that ID.me is all about the light.

I found that using a lamp, with a compact fluorescent bulb and a lampshade worked was the only thing that worked for my license. So then walked over to a window for natural light for the facial recognition part. No go. Tried another window. No go again. Stood 2ft in front of that same lamp and bingo, worked fine.
I'm not familiar with the system they're using. Do you have to upload a photo of your license? If so, the best way to do it is probably to use your scanner if you have one, not to take a picture with your phone.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:16 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Oh - and yes it's from the IRS... US Treasury check and says "12/2020 TAX REFUND" on it. It also indicates, maybe, that $122.13 might be interest...

Last summer we got a letter saying there was a problem with our filing - We'd split the ACA PTC between our son and us since he'd still been on our policy but was no longer a dependent. I sent back a letter explaining, with the math, and pointing to son's SS# etc. Maybe this is a result of that.

I'll still wait and see why, before cashing the check.
Did your son receive a bill from the IRS? He may need some of this surprise check?
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
I'm not familiar with the system they're using. Do you have to upload a photo of your license? If so, the best way to do it is probably to use your scanner if you have one, not to take a picture with your phone.

I'm not sure if they have that option. The site, which I actually logged via laptop, sent a link to my phone as part of the process. This link had me take a picture of my license front and back and a picture of my face. It was very similar to the mobile check deposit process. In any case I don't have a scanner.
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 07:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
Did your son receive a bill from the IRS? He may need some of this surprise check?
No letter yet- spoke to him earlier today.
Old 03-04-2022, 07:28 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

When I received one from them last week, below our names it showed what year it was for, 2018, and how much was interest.
Gulfbeach is offline   Reply With Quote