Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

National Australia Bank writes down 90% of US AAA CDOs

brewer will say that this is all in my head:

NAB in dire US warning | theage.com.au

Bad debt bombshell from National Australia Bank | Herald Sun

This is Australia's largest bank.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wow... 90%?!
Breitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
gone traveling

Crikey! only 90%?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why not just write them down 100% and just go ahead and sell them to me for the cost of postage?
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Why not just write them down 100% and just go ahead and sell them to me for the cost of postage?
Because then they cannot write them back up when/if things improve.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Where's the crocodile hunter when we need him??

"Crikey, I'd rather hunt the world's most venemous snakes than invest in sub-prime US debt".........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Convenient scapegoat (did someone hold a gun to NAB's head to buy those securities? No sympathy for them here). Maybe the real headline should be "NAB: It's not our fault!"
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Brewer, what's your take on this. I think many banks are lumping. By lumping, I mean they are getting all the horrible news about write-downs out in one quarter. Then, if things get better in a quarter or two, they write back up and record huge profits. Is this just another form of revenue shaping with the plausible deniability of "well, we really didn't know how bad it really was". But in reality, the upper echelons are telling their in-house analysts to make the debt look as bad as possible?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Brewer, what's your take on this. I think many banks are lumping. By lumping, I mean they are getting all the horrible news about write-downs out in one quarter. Then, if things get better in a quarter or two, they write back up and record huge profits. Is this just another form of revenue shaping with the plausible deniability of "well, we really didn't know how bad it really was". But in reality, the upper echelons are telling their in-house analysts to make the debt look as bad as possible?
Quit being so smart...........with that intelligence you'll NEVER make it on Wall Street..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
But Mr Stewart said it was clear that the rating agencies that had assigned the CDOs AAA status had "let the whole industry down". "(They) didn't do a thorough job," Mr Stewart said.

Somewhat ironically, rating agency Standard & Poor's yesterday downgraded its AAA outlook on NAB to negative from stable. "Apart from emphasising the potential for higher-credit costs, the announcement highlights that NAB may face challenges in predicting future credit losses," said S&P credit analyst Sharad Jain.
SNAP!

Wow.. that sounds essentially vengeful. "You don't like our AAA ratings? Ok.. let's see how you like life without one.. bwa ha aha ha haaa."

Since they don't like the predictions they are given.. they must have trouble HEARING!
Yikes.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe. The problem all along with all of these write downs is that in many cases there is no real market quote on which to base valuations. All this paper was flying around at record speed in the first half of 2007, and then everything came crashing to a halt with no trades except ones by those who were forced (because of liquidity issues) to sell in a no-bid market. So if you ae being pushed by regulators, auditors, etc. to mark stuff down, what do you use to mark the paper? Iffy trading data? Or do you try to mark it based on fundamentals, even though you very possibly never understood what you owned in the first place?

In this specific case, it sounds like these securities are the infamous CDO squareds, where you have bonds backed by bonds backed by mortgages. The underlying mortgages may have been an immense amount of collateral (tens of billions of dollars), more than anyone buying the CDO squareds could possibly have rationally evaluated before buying the bonds. So idiots like the guys at NAB just looked at the rating, said "AAA, how can I lose?", and started buying.

So it will be interesting to see what happens. For sure, many of the write-downs will prove to be waaaayyyyy over what is really justified and will be a source of outsized profits in the future. Others, not so much. WIthout knowing more about the exact securities in question, I cannot sayin this case.

- George Orwell

Old 07-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Others, not so much. WIthout knowing more about the exact securities in question, I cannot sayin this case.
It's all speculation on my behalf as well. Just knowing how things work (with quarterly reporting) makes one wonder if they aren't writing off as much as plausible last Q and this Q in order to make returning to profitability a lot easier next Q or the following Q. I mean, who really cares is a megabank writes off $20 billion or $26 billion one quarter. If they are losing money anyway, why not toss out an extra $6 billion loss (on paper) and then bank it back over the next year or two as your positions "recover".
Old 07-25-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's all speculation on my behalf as well. Just knowing how things work (with quarterly reporting) makes one wonder if they aren't writing off as much as plausible last Q and this Q in order to make returning to profitability a lot easier next Q or the following Q. I mean, who really cares is a megabank writes off $20 billion or $26 billion one quarter. If they are losing money anyway, why not toss out an extra $6 billion loss (on paper) and then bank it back over the next year or two as your positions "recover".
It is certainly what I would do if I ran one of these things.

- George Orwell

Old 07-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
It is certainly what I would do if I ran one of these things.
As a buyer of these, I've placed my bet that that is what smart managers will do as well. Now comes the waiting game to see how right/wrong I am.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

When you know a quarter's going to be bad, you might as well make it as bad as you can this quarter and draw all the future pain into it. In terms of market perception, better to have one quarter with huge writedowns than several quarters of water torture-style, more moderate losses. Businesses do this all the time when they are going to post a losing quarter.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
When you know a quarter's going to be bad, you might as well make it as bad as you can this quarter and draw all the future pain into it. In terms of market perception, better to have one quarter with huge writedowns than several quarters of water torture-style, more moderate losses. Businesses do this all the time when they are going to post a losing quarter.
My thoughts exactly.