Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2008, 09:48 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
When I'm on vacation I don't have to cook, clean, do chores, check the mail or e-mail, or do just about anything that I don't want to do. And I can do a whole lot of other things that normally I'd be too busy or guilt-ridden to get around to doing.
To me, that's not vacation....that's my whole retirement!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Hawaii's visitor industry has been leading the precipice leap. It's rumored to be the worst since the Depression, and they didn't have jet aircraft back then.

Don't blame us - we did what we could to help the HI economy - 2 weeks last end-of-july, first-of-august.

Can't figure out why scuba diving's so expensive there though. Food, fuel, & lodging are just as expensive in the FL Keys.
I found diving in Maui & Hawaii to cost half-again more than diving in the Keys; and the diving, while good, is certainly no better.
(of course, that's boat diving - Hawaii does have all that great shore diving of which there is none to speak of in the Keys -of course I can always fly to Bonaire for shore diving as cheap, or maybe a little cheaper, than HI)
Old 12-29-2008, 02:25 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Last year did Las Vegas, San Diego, Bahamas, and 8 trips to Phoenix. I'm tripped out. I'll cut back in 2009 to just Phoenix. Besides, I have a bunch of home projects to get done.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:53 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I did the opposite, I went to Wisconsin from Phoenix, not the other way around.
Why would you possibly want to go to Wisconsin from Phoenix. Oh yes, family. That's the only reason i'm living in Wisconsin. If they weren't here there's no way i'd be here.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

We are off to Israel in 2 weeks. Then plan some hiking in Oregon in the summer, and maybe a trip to Paris if airfares are reasonable. (We've got a friend there we can stay with!) But we have stable gummint jobs, so aren't too worried.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #26

We've been on vacation for over six years now. I suppose there are things in places like New York City that attract people since so many live there, but who wants to put up with crowds, traffic, diesel fumes, and city stink?

We'd rather go someplace like Tyrone, PA. I heard they have a new traffic light, but the white chocolate from the candy store is the best ever.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
September: 5 days in San Francisco / CA wine country. Tickets paid with air miles. But lodging will be pretty expensive.
I am not sure if you are trying to minimize the lodging expense, but the Motel 6's in Santa Rosa are cheap and just off the freeway. I prefer staying in Healdsburg, but $55 trumps $110.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We've been on vacation for over six years now. I suppose there are things in places like New York City that attract people since so many live there, but who wants to put up with crowds, traffic, diesel fumes, and city stink?

We'd rather go someplace like Tyrone, PA. I heard they have a new traffic light, but the white chocolate from the candy store is the best ever.
Now that sounds like MY kind of place! Frank and I aren't really interested in visiting places with crowds, traffic, diesel fumes, and city stink, either. On our vacations we have a great time wandering through places nobody has ever heard of.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tyrone seems like a cute little town. We were in Altoona for a couple days back in 2006 and we walked around Tyrone and Hollidaysburg a little as well.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I am Wisconsin freezing while spending a week with my sisters. My parents have already fleed the cold weather. Does this count as a vacation?
Hey, I'm in Wisconsin, are you nearby??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #31

OK, I'll play :-)

Hope to get to Canary Islands, Mallorca - perhaps Turkey or Greece. Also, Switzerland for hiking - perhaps Italy.

Will be going back to states in April (Chicago) and either Boston or San Diego in late June - maybe back to SF for some work. Not too hard work, though.

One great thing about being in Germany is how close everything in Europe and just beyond is - no excuses for not traveling around while here.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #32

Quote:

City Stink? That's my new line of men's fragrance. It's a macho mix of 10-day-old piss marinated by the heat and dust of the NYC Subway. I'm considering adding just a hint of fresh pizza, but doing so could dilute the City Stink Experience.

I'll definitely be taking vacations. It's stupid to work until you're completely burned out. It doesn't do you or your career any good. American employers don't understand that there are people who actually work hard enough to burn themselves out, so any slow down will be interpreted as laziness.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:22 PM   #33

I have (most of) my main vacation booked now for June-July 09 - Amtrak LA up to VancouverBC, 7 day cruise up to Seward Alaska, bus over to Homer, Alaska ferry "Tustumena" down the Aleutians to Dutch Harbor and back to Kodiak, Alaska ferry "Kennicott" to Ketchikan, camp and hike for a few days on a nearby island, then fly home. About 3.5 weeks total. Most of the ferry stops allow enough time to walk around the tiny towns they visit.