Naycations

RonBoyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Do I smell the birth of a Bargain Bin?

elliott.org | 9 reasons ‘09 will be the year of the naycation

"If 2008 was the year of the staycation, then ’09 is bound to be the year of the naycation.

As in, nay — we’re not vacationing.

I’ve been talking with people in the industry, who tell me — direct quote here — that travel is poised to “drop off a cliff” in January."

I'm so retro, still into the staycation mode; enjoying hanging out in nearby neighborhoods.

On a related note, I've noticed a big uptick in new coffee shop/restaurants to compete with my favorite ones. I assume they are there for the locals (and maybe the not-currently-employed?). They are places where you can hang out for hours with laptop and coffee but, this is new to me, they also serve meals which are quite good; so they get both the restaurant and coffee shop crowd.

There are definitely bargains to be had. I called the hotel I wanted and they, with only a little prompting on my part, offered to drop their best online deal by 20%.

I also agree with the article about the airlines. We chose to do a 3000 mile road-trip instead of flying when gas was $3.99/gallon. Flying is just too painful. Unfortunately, no roads to our next destination, so we have to just grin and bear it -sardine class.

The airlines must not be hurting enough. They still behave as if they didn't need my business.

2009 will be no different than any other year. I'm 29 years old and have never taken a "real" vacation in my adult life. A couple of weekend camping trips in state don't count.

I'm so retro, still into the staycation mode; enjoying hanging out in nearby neighborhoods.

Agree with this staycation idea. Except for visiting family and friends, and occasionally NYC I haven't traveled much in long time. If I do start again, it will be for long semi-permanent stays of 3 mos to a year. Mostly because I now live and have always lived in places where it would take me several lifetimes to experience what is here and attractive. I like having the home field advantage.

From the article-"No two ways about it, staying close to home and “exploring” the local attractions can be dull, dull, dull. (Unless you live in a place where people like to vacation.) "

This is the key. I am sure that there are places that the best that can be said about them is that they are near an airport. I am glad that I am not in one of them.

Ha

If you're retired is it really possible to take a vacation?

I plan to do more traveling next year. I'm a bit out of sync with it now due to breaking a bone. I only went to Egypt last year and RVing for about 3+ months.
I'm thinking about:

Jan - March - I need to figure out
Apirl - Sept? RVing out west
Oct - Jan - Australia
Feb - Thailand
Who knows - I'll get it figured out.

vacation - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
1: a respite or a time of respite from something : intermission2 a: a scheduled period during which activity (as of a court or school) is suspended b: a period of exemption from work granted to an employee3: a period spent away from home or business in travel or recreation <had a restful vacation at the beach>4: an act or an instance of vacating

That's a good question!

We are not retired yet, but Frank and I are on vacation until January 5th. We have found that we especially enjoy spontaneous vacations in which we roam without motel reservations or firm destinations. He was asking me yesterday about possible places to go.

I feel a little under the weather, so today I am just staying home and I suppose we will reconsider the dilemma tomorrow. Maybe we will go somewhere, or maybe not. I'd really rather not, I think, even though gas is cheap these days. Relaxing and puttering might be fun this time.

vacation - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary......3: a period spent away from home..... <had a restful vacation at the beach>
Being ER'd I don't 'take vacations' anymore! Now I only 'travel' or go on 'trips'! Of course, according to M-W #3 quoted above, I guess, by 'definition' that I still go on 'vacations'....but I ain't gonna call it one!!! :D

Instead, I'll be trippin', man! O0

I’ve been talking with people in the industry, who tell me — direct quote here — that travel is poised to “drop off a cliff” in January."
Hawaii's visitor industry has been leading the precipice leap. It's rumored to be the worst since the Depression, and they didn't have jet aircraft back then.

[-]I'd be ER'd if[/-] I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard "You're from Hawaii and you're vacationing here?!?"

So maybe it's safe for us kama'aina to wander back down to Waikiki, and maybe the proprietors will be happy to see us again.

Our "vacations" this summer will consist of shipping our almost-high-school-senior kid off to 1-2 week programs at various colleges where she can avail herself of their [-]sex, drugs, rock&roll[/-] facilities and decide whether she really wants to matriculate there. Meantime spouse and I will practice being empty-nesters in every room of the house...

Absolutely, and screw Webster's opinion. When I'm on vacation I don't have to cook, clean, do chores, check the mail or e-mail, or do just about anything that I don't want to do. And I can do a whole lot of other things that normally I'd be too busy or guilt-ridden to get around to doing.

Everything old is new again. I remember as a child that a family vacation was a two day car ride to stay with the grandparents for a week, every four years. Period.

I am Wisconsin freezing while spending a week with my sisters. My parents have already fleed the cold weather. Does this count as a vacation?

I'll be vacationing - 12 day Mediterranean cruise in July 09, booked in April 08. It will be interesting to see if we get an additional price break. Technically, we are not eligible. :p Once we pay the balance due in Apr 09, our budget will be so much easier to deal with. More mad money!!!! Yeehaaaaaaaaaaa :D

In terms of vacations, in 2009, we are planning for:

July: 2.5 weeks in Switzerland/France/Denmark/Sweden. Should be a pretty cheap trip. Air fare will pretty much be covered by a couple a vouchers we received after our last cancelled trip and lodging will be free. We'll only have to pay for some of the meals.

September: 5 days in San Francisco / CA wine country. Tickets paid with air miles. But lodging will be pretty expensive.

December: 10 days in Switzerland/France. Transatlantic ticket paid with air miles this year. Free lodging and meals.

Already got 2009's main vacation booked - free air tickets to England for 3 weeks then rail-rover tickets to get around - most all of the nights we'll be staying with relatives. This will be the last of the free air tickets as I no longer fly on business. A perk I'm happy to have given up.

3 weeks consumes most of my vacation allowance so nothing else big planned. ...... 2010 and ongoing will be different .... :D:D:D

When I'm on vacation I don't have to cook, clean, do chores, check the mail or e-mail, or do just about anything that I don't want to do. And I can do a whole lot of other things that normally I'd be too busy or guilt-ridden to get around to doing.

To me, that's not vacation....that's my whole retirement! :D

Hawaii's visitor industry has been leading the precipice leap. It's rumored to be the worst since the Depression, and they didn't have jet aircraft back then.

Don't blame us - we did what we could to help the HI economy - 2 weeks last end-of-july, first-of-august.

Can't figure out why scuba diving's so expensive there though. Food, fuel, & lodging are just as expensive in the FL Keys.
I found diving in Maui & Hawaii to cost half-again more than diving in the Keys; and the diving, while good, is certainly no better.
(of course, that's boat diving - Hawaii does have all that great shore diving of which there is none to speak of in the Keys -of course I can always fly to Bonaire for shore diving as cheap, or maybe a little cheaper, than HI)

Last year did Las Vegas, San Diego, Bahamas, and 8 trips to Phoenix. I'm tripped out. I'll cut back in 2009 to just Phoenix. Besides, I have a bunch of home projects to get done.

I did the opposite, I went to Wisconsin from Phoenix, not the other way around.

Why would you possibly want to go to Wisconsin from Phoenix. Oh yes, family. That's the only reason i'm living in Wisconsin. If they weren't here there's no way i'd be here.

We are off to Israel in 2 weeks. Then plan some hiking in Oregon in the summer, and maybe a trip to Paris if airfares are reasonable. (We've got a friend there we can stay with!) But we have stable gummint jobs, so aren't too worried.

Back
Top Bottom