Join Early Retirement Today

Naycations
Old 12-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Naycations

Do I smell the birth of a Bargain Bin?

elliott.org | 9 reasons ‘09 will be the year of the naycation

"If 2008 was the year of the staycation, then ’09 is bound to be the year of the naycation.

As in, nay — we’re not vacationing.

I’ve been talking with people in the industry, who tell me — direct quote here — that travel is poised to “drop off a cliff” in January."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm so retro, still into the staycation mode; enjoying hanging out in nearby neighborhoods.

On a related note, I've noticed a big uptick in new coffee shop/restaurants to compete with my favorite ones. I assume they are there for the locals (and maybe the not-currently-employed?). They are places where you can hang out for hours with laptop and coffee but, this is new to me, they also serve meals which are quite good; so they get both the restaurant and coffee shop crowd.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are definitely bargains to be had. I called the hotel I wanted and they, with only a little prompting on my part, offered to drop their best online deal by 20%.

I also agree with the article about the airlines. We chose to do a 3000 mile road-trip instead of flying when gas was $3.99/gallon. Flying is just too painful. Unfortunately, no roads to our next destination, so we have to just grin and bear it -sardine class.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The airlines must not be hurting enough. They still behave as if they didn't need my business.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

2009 will be no different than any other year. I'm 29 years old and have never taken a "real" vacation in my adult life. A couple of weekend camping trips in state don't count.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I'm so retro, still into the staycation mode; enjoying hanging out in nearby neighborhoods.
Agree with this staycation idea. Except for visiting family and friends, and occasionally NYC I haven't traveled much in long time. If I do start again, it will be for long semi-permanent stays of 3 mos to a year. Mostly because I now live and have always lived in places where it would take me several lifetimes to experience what is here and attractive. I like having the home field advantage.

From the article-"No two ways about it, staying close to home and “exploring” the local attractions can be dull, dull, dull. (Unless you live in a place where people like to vacation.) "

This is the key. I am sure that there are places that the best that can be said about them is that they are near an airport. I am glad that I am not in one of them.

Ha
Old 12-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If you're retired is it really possible to take a vacation?

I plan to do more traveling next year. I'm a bit out of sync with it now due to breaking a bone. I only went to Egypt last year and RVing for about 3+ months.
I'm thinking about:

Jan - March - I need to figure out
Apirl - Sept? RVing out west
Oct - Jan - Australia
Feb - Thailand
Who knows - I'll get it figured out.

vacation - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
1: a respite or a time of respite from something : intermission2 a: a scheduled period during which activity (as of a court or school) is suspended b: a period of exemption from work granted to an employee3: a period spent away from home or business in travel or recreation <had a restful vacation at the beach>4: an act or an instance of vacating
Old 12-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
That's a good question!

We are not retired yet, but Frank and I are on vacation until January 5th. We have found that we especially enjoy spontaneous vacations in which we roam without motel reservations or firm destinations. He was asking me yesterday about possible places to go.

I feel a little under the weather, so today I am just staying home and I suppose we will reconsider the dilemma tomorrow. Maybe we will go somewhere, or maybe not. I'd really rather not, I think, even though gas is cheap these days. Relaxing and puttering might be fun this time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

vacation - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary......3: a period spent away from home..... <had a restful vacation at the beach>
Being ER'd I don't 'take vacations' anymore! Now I only 'travel' or go on 'trips'! Of course, according to M-W #3 quoted above, I guess, by 'definition' that I still go on 'vacations'....but I ain't gonna call it one!!!

Instead, I'll be trippin', man!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I’ve been talking with people in the industry, who tell me — direct quote here — that travel is poised to “drop off a cliff” in January."
Hawaii's visitor industry has been leading the precipice leap. It's rumored to be the worst since the Depression, and they didn't have jet aircraft back then.

I'd be ER'd if I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard "You're from Hawaii and you're vacationing here?!?"

So maybe it's safe for us kama'aina to wander back down to Waikiki, and maybe the proprietors will be happy to see us again.

Our "vacations" this summer will consist of shipping our almost-high-school-senior kid off to 1-2 week programs at various colleges where she can avail herself of their sex, drugs, rock&roll facilities and decide whether she really wants to matriculate there. Meantime spouse and I will practice being empty-nesters in every room of the house...

Quote:
Absolutely, and screw Webster's opinion. When I'm on vacation I don't have to cook, clean, do chores, check the mail or e-mail, or do just about anything that I don't want to do. And I can do a whole lot of other things that normally I'd be too busy or guilt-ridden to get around to doing.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

I wondered that myself so I do not consider it a vacation just a change in venue when I travel.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Everything old is new again. I remember as a child that a family vacation was a two day car ride to stay with the grandparents for a week, every four years. Period.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I am Wisconsin freezing while spending a week with my sisters. My parents have already fleed the cold weather. Does this count as a vacation?
Old 12-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I am Wisconsin freezing while spending a week with my sisters. My parents have already fleed the cold weather. Does this count as a vacation?
Fleeing the cold weather? Yes!
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Fleeing the cold weather? Yes!
I did the opposite, I went to Wisconsin from Phoenix, not the other way around.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I'll be vacationing - 12 day Mediterranean cruise in July 09, booked in April 08. It will be interesting to see if we get an additional price break. Technically, we are not eligible. Once we pay the balance due in Apr 09, our budget will be so much easier to deal with. More mad money!!!! Yeehaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 12-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

In terms of vacations, in 2009, we are planning for:

July: 2.5 weeks in Switzerland/France/Denmark/Sweden. Should be a pretty cheap trip. Air fare will pretty much be covered by a couple a vouchers we received after our last cancelled trip and lodging will be free. We'll only have to pay for some of the meals.

September: 5 days in San Francisco / CA wine country. Tickets paid with air miles. But lodging will be pretty expensive.

December: 10 days in Switzerland/France. Transatlantic ticket paid with air miles this year. Free lodging and meals.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
It will be interesting to see if we get an additional price break.
A lot of the cruises are returning the fuel supplement as on board credit .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
A lot of the cruises are returning the fuel supplement as on board credit .
... yeah, I was going to say "only if you drink alcohol"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #20
Administrator

Already got 2009's main vacation booked - free air tickets to England for 3 weeks then rail-rover tickets to get around - most all of the nights we'll be staying with relatives. This will be the last of the free air tickets as I no longer fly on business. A perk I'm happy to have given up.

3 weeks consumes most of my vacation allowance so nothing else big planned. ...... 2010 and ongoing will be different ....