Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Need a Mobile Broadband plan with no Monthly fee.....
Old 01-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Need a Mobile Broadband plan with no Monthly fee.....

I am looking for a Mobile Broadband Plan with no monthly fee in the U.S. -- Just pay for data as I use it. Is anyone aware of a good one? This would allow me to stream music and radio when traveling inside the U.S., where only a cell signal is available.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Close, $3 a month plus $10 per GB.

https://yourkarma.com/wifi/pricing/
foxcreek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wonder if google FI has anything to fit your needs.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
Wonder if google FI has anything to fit your needs.
No, not a good option... They force you into Texts and Minutes for $20 a month and then charge you a minimum of $10 a month per gig of data. So you are paying $30 a month or $360 a year, even if you don't use it.

What I am looking for is something I am currently using in Australia.... Bought a mobile Router and Paid about $70 for 40 Gig of Data..No monthly charge at all.... Works out to about $1.75 per Gig....
Old 01-21-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
I am looking for a Mobile Broadband Plan with no monthly fee in the U.S. -- Just pay for data as I use it. Is anyone aware of a good one? This would allow me to stream music and radio when traveling inside the U.S., where only a cell signal is available.
I'm assuming you're overseas and bringing your GSM phone to the U.S. If that is the case you'll want to use one of two network operators that use GSM - AT&T and T-Moble (Verizon, Sprint, & US Cellular use CDMA). If you google "ATT MVNO" and T-Mobile MVNO" you should see the list of virtual network operators that piggyback off the two GSM networks. You might want to check out ATT's vs T-Moble coverage map to help you decide which network is better. Verizon has the best coverage in rural areas but GSM phones will not work on the Verizon network.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
I'm assuming you're overseas and bringing your GSM phone to the U.S. If that is the case you'll want to use one of two network operators that use GSM - AT&T and T-Moble (Verizon, Sprint, & US Cellular use CDMA). If you google "ATT MVNO" and T-Mobile MVNO" you should see the list of virtual network operators that piggyback off the two GSM networks. You might want to check out ATT's vs T-Moble coverage map to help you decide which network is better. Verizon has the best coverage in rural areas but GSM phones will not work on the Verizon network.
Actually I live in the U.S.A -- Just a successful Retire Early Guy that is currently spending the winter in Australia, away from the Minnesota Winter. --- "Living the Dream".

So, I am not concerned with bringing a device... I bought a 'device' (Mobile Router) here in Australia for about $100 and now am on a 'Pay as you Go' no monthly fee plan. So, these mobile routers go for about $100 and can connect 10 devices..... So I am just trying to find a similar plan in the USA and will buy a router for whatever network they have.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:34 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tracfone is $10 per gig.... you do have to buy some minutes every once in awhile, but when you do you can buy 1 year of time for something like $50 to $60 ish...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcreek9 View Post
Close, $3 a month plus $10 per GB.

https://yourkarma.com/wifi/pricing/
Would not be terrible, except the $10 per Gig is steep... I am currently paying less than $2 a Gig with no monthly fee here in Australia. I just bought 40 Gig for $70... Good until I use it.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:19 AM   #9

The Cheapest Mobile WiFi Hotspot Plans 1/1/2018:
https://20somethingfinance.com/cheap...hotspot-plans/

Personally, I switched my cellphone to MetroPCS a few months ago specifically because they include using the phone as a mobile hotspot for no additional charge. I took the cheapest plan they have and paying $30/month for unlimited talk/text. It includes only 2GB of 4G data, however, when they scale it back for anything over 2GB I don't even notice - though I do not stream movies, so I don't know about things which require higher bandwidth. I don't imagine music/radio would be extremely demanding. It is T-Mobile network and is reliable.

The ZTE phones they offer are powerful and reasonably priced. There are no contracts, just monthly pay as you go. The price of the phone (after discounts) is in the same ballpark as your mobile hotspot.

I just checked, and MetroPCS does also have a mobile hotspot...10GB high speed data for $35/month, you can add additional amounts if you need it, and the mobile hotspot is $49 - but the $35/month is when you add to an existing plan. You might want to check further or contact them to see if they offer it standalone and what the pricing would be.

https://www.metropcs.com/shop/phones...t/610214655387
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:04 AM   #10

Millenicom.com might be worth a look. They have a data only plan which starts at 2GB/month for $20.00 with no contract. Their higher plans offer unlimited movies & music.
I believe they are on T-Mobile's system.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, not a good option... They force you into Texts and Minutes for $20 a month and then charge you a minimum of $10 a month per gig of data. So you are paying $30 a month or $360 a year, even if you don't use it.

What I am looking for is something I am currently using in Australia.... Bought a mobile Router and Paid about $70 for 40 Gig of Data..No monthly charge at all.... Works out to about $1.75 per Gig....
To clarify, Project Fi charges only for what you use. They bill the ten bucks for a gig but credit the account if you don't use the gig. My data cost per month is usually below $1.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #12

US Cellular has a plan that offers 30 gigs of 4G/mo for $90 after you buy the Dlink router for $90. You can also pay off the router in $5 monthly increments. You might want to check them out.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Would not be terrible, except the $10 per Gig is steep... I am currently paying less than $2 a Gig with no monthly fee here in Australia. I just bought 40 Gig for $70... Good until I use it.

Karma used to like that and I was able to buy on sale for about 5 per gig. I doubt you will find anything remotely close to 2 per gig.
foxcreek9 is offline   Reply With Quote