Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2022, 04:15 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynezo View Post
I am 60 and live off of a portfolio with TRowe Price. Mostly a Roth in Media and Telecom to keep my AGI low to maximize ACA healthcare subsidies. That account is down 30% this year. I expect it to go back up and I don't want withdraw funds when they are down. TRowe does not lend money against the portfolio and I don't carry Homeowners insurance so home equity loan is not an option. Chase Visa has offered me a personal loan. I wonder if there are any better options. I would like to borrow 40,000 for Dental Implants and a new roof. I am debt free as of now. Will any other company lend money using my portfolio as collateral.

Any advice or opinion is appreciated.

If there is a dental school in the area, you could potentially have your implants placed and restored there at a significant savings vs private practice
Gevans17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2022, 05:59 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I’m puzzled. How high is the insurance that you are willing to risk a 440k home total loss?
Insurance is 6k to 12k a year if you can find a company to write it. Then they cancel you mid year to "reduce their exposure". The average Major Hurricane claim is less than 20k.
waynezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:08 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gevans17 View Post
If there is a dental school in the area, you could potentially have your implants placed and restored there at a significant savings vs private practice
The local dental college 30% discount, 2 sterilization scandals, and long waits so I decided against it.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:29 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The local dental college 30% discount, 2 sterilization scandals, and long waits so I decided against it.
You had me at sterilization scandals. I can overlook a lot - like the long waits, for instance. But there are some things that have to be 100% right. I'd say you made the right choice to pass the dental college by. Best luck.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:04 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I'd check out those dental discount plans (not the insurance) they only cost ~$100 and cut the sticker price of dental work by quite a lot.

I get that FL insurance is expensive, but to not insure a home when your assets are so low is simply gambling.

If you don't have other sources of income, like early pension, I'd go as far to say that you can't actually afford to be retired in your current location. This is evidenced by not having the cash to pay for home insurance, and home roof, and dental issues which were probably building up over time because they were delayed, (unless dentist is just selling a lie).
Old 06-06-2022, 10:05 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I am 60 and live off of a portfolio with TRowe Price. Mostly a Roth in Media and Telecom to keep my AGI low to maximize ACA healthcare subsidies. That account is down 30% this year. I expect it to go back up and I don't want withdraw funds when they are down. TRowe does not lend money against the portfolio and I don't carry Homeowners insurance so home equity loan is not an option. Chase Visa has offered me a personal loan. I wonder if there are any better options. I would like to borrow 40,000 for Dental Implants and a new roof. I am debt free as of now. Will any other company lend money using my portfolio as collateral.

Any advice or opinion is appreciated.
Schwab has this https://www.schwab.com/pledged-asset-line
Maybe TRowe Price offers something similar?

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:49 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I’m puzzled. How high is the insurance that you are willing to risk a 440k home total loss?
Yeah I gulped hard on that one!! Risking all 440k. I don't like paying 427m on my home / earthquake (live in California) / auto / umbrella insurance but can't imagine doing without
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:15 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Public university clinic? After sterilization scandals it is probably the most sterile facility in 100 miles! Ask them what they have done. I would not worry too much about this if their explanation was credible.

Re long waits, is there urgency in your need? You have really not said. Certainly there is not urgency on doing multiple teeth. Saving 30% of a big number is a big number.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:54 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to all who replied. I understand the risks of not having Insurance (My friend is a claims adjuster) and being in 100% equities. I live a simple life and am comfortable with my retirement portfolio. I can take the money out and still be fine. I would rather take the money out when the market is up. I don't usually borrow money (paid cash for my House). My only loan was on a car at 3% for 5 years. Of course my investments returned much more than 3%.
My dentist is board certified and I don't mind paying him. I have an aversion to taking money out when the market is down, so if the rate is good chase personal loan sounds good for dental. Some roofers offer financing. If I don't like the rates I will keep it simple and just take the money out.
Old 06-07-2022, 12:36 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Most all implants in our market are done by a group of M.D. oral surgeons with 30 employees and a $450k all head MRI machine to pay for.

I found a regular dentist in another city doing simple implants for $999. Honestly, the implant was easier and simpler than getting a filling. It only took 6 minutes. I saved $3k.

Shop for the best prices on implants.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:15 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Most all implants in our market are done by a group of M.D. oral surgeons with 30 employees and a $450k all head MRI machine to pay for.

I found a regular dentist in another city doing simple implants for $999. Honestly, the implant was easier and simpler than getting a filling. It only took 6 minutes. I saved $3k.

Shop for the best prices on implants.
That sound like it would be worth "medical travel" to me. I've never heard of implants at that price. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:44 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
No. Homeowners insurance should pay if there is damage due to winds, storms, etc. i was pleasantly surprised to learn that they would not depreciate my 20 year old roof. I assume state regulation requires them to replace the roof without depreciation because many homeowners could not afford to pay if they did. We also had coverage for updated code requirements and only had to pay the $1k deductible on a $18k repair.

I have a friend that went 30 years without home insurance, We had a hurricane in 2018, a tree fell on the roof, He repaired the roof, but 4 years later still has a 40sqft hole in the gable end of his garage and the ceiling in one bedroom is gone, floor has water damage. He might have won with 30 years of no insurance payments, but now refuses to use the winnings to fix the house, or maybe the winnings are spent.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:21 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I would not think about being 30% down, I would be comparing the loan rate (9%) with what you think you can while paying off the loan. If you think your investment returns have a decent chance of beating 9%, get the loan. Otherwise you are better off selling part of your investments.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:47 AM   #34

About a year ago I got money to facilitate the purchase of a repo fixer upper home for my daughter and son in law. They were working their way through HUD financing, but after 6 months and many delays, none of their doing, I said, I'll buy it and give you a mortgage for a couple years until you get it fixed enough to get a mortgage. The plan was 1 yr, but I made it two just in case.
I didn't have the cash and didn't want to sell anything and pay taxes. So, I moved my taxable account from Vanguard to IBKR, where they had very low margin rates, 1.50%. I borrowed enough on margin to buy the house, I was at about 40% margin, 50% and IBKR could sell some stock to get under 50%. So, because of the market volatility, and not wanting any margin call, I then got a HELOC on my home and used that to pay down the margin, just in case. The HELOC had a 6 month teaser rate of 0.99%. Great rates, I'm happy, they're happy.
Nine and 1/2 months later they got the house repaired to a point where they got a bank mortgage and paid off me off and all my loans are paid back. It worked out great, they have a house on the water leading out to the gulf that they wanted. They only have about $310,000 into it and I'm so happy they didn't find a $550,000 home that would have put them deeper in debt.
I gave them a 4% mortgage for the first year and and raised it to 6% the second year, just to give them a real incentive to get the house repaired asap. But what really did it was all the notice that mortgage rates were on the rise, they got in after the first round of increases, so they went with a 15 yr 3.25% mortgage. The could have went with a 30 year 4.5% mortgage. But they earn plenty to cover the 15 year and that is a much better rate. Happy daddy!
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:54 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
......... 2 sterilization scandals......
Yikes. You mean while they were under, they sterilized people?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:53 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Think of the money you save. Wisdom teeth extracted and you also join the unhooked generation at no extra charge. Win/win!

Old 06-07-2022, 02:49 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I would not think about being 30% down, I would be comparing the loan rate (9%) with what you think you can while paying off the loan. If you think your investment returns have a decent chance of beating 9%, get the loan. Otherwise you are better off selling part of your investments.
Good point. Chase will give me 20k @ 8.9% for 36 months about 2800 in total interest. My returns should be better than that. Barring a total market meltdown the odds are in my favor.
Old 06-07-2022, 02:51 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
The patients had to be tested for HIV and Hep C yikes!
Old 06-07-2022, 03:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Good point. Chase will give me 20k @ 8.9% for 36 months about 2800 in total interest. My returns should be better than that. Barring a total market meltdown the odds are in my favor.
I'm sorry...I may have lost the plot on this thread...but where are you going to get a very high likelihood of returns exceeding 8.9% over the next 36 months?

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:49 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet_Gamer View Post
I'm sorry...I may have lost the plot on this thread...but where are you going to get a very high likelihood of returns exceeding 8.9% over the next 36 months?

Thanks.
8.9% after tax, right? I'm interested too.