Need Help for a long time friend with spending issues.

I thought his CC were frozen back at the time of the original post?
Did he get more CC's? Did he get the original CC's 'thawed out'?
In either case, he appears more than able to navigate the system.
Wish him well and move on. Don't let him drag you down.

If he truly is good friend, then I’d consider a loan with conditions where you’re in charge of selling his house, you get veto power over his next house and you get to dole out the balance of his equity to him in monthly payments.

My ex wife (mother of our kids) is a good person and I still care about her. When we divorced, we had both a prenup and post nup that said “no alimony.” Despite that, I offered 8 years of alimony (in addition to seven figures of asset value including a nice house.) The 8 years is almost over and she has not once looked for a job or even put together a resume. It took time, but I realized that I had enabled her when I had thought at the time that I was giving a generous runway for her to figure out self sufficiency. Of course I’m not gonna let her or my kids starve, but if she puts her hand out after alimony ends I’ll only comply if there are strings attached in the form of her getting realistic about her spending vs her income.

I thought his CC were frozen back at the time of the original post?
Did he get more CC's? Did he get the original CC's 'thawed out'?
In either case, he appears more than able to navigate the system.
Wish him well and move on. Don't let him drag you down.

They were frozen because of a missed payment a friend leant him enough to get current. He makes minimal payments and he has a big credit limit .I wouldn't be surprised if he got another loan from another friend..we won't give him money

If he truly is good friend, then I’d consider a loan with conditions where you’re in charge of selling his house, you get veto power over his next house and you get to dole out the balance of his equity to him in monthly payments.

I’m guessing you have not been following this thread closely.

Gosh. I remember this string from last summer. He must be getting handouts from different people if he's limped along since last August with negative income to support his basic needs. I'm surprised the town or county have not acquired his house for non payment and then evicted him, so they can sell it.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I thought a person's credit limit is based mainly on income.

I wonder who, or what, his friend didn't pay, in order to give your friend a "loan" which clearly is not going to be repaid.

I'll always remember a couple with kids, who desperately wanted to rent a townhouse which Mr. A. was painting. They approached him several times (I wasn't there) to plead to be allowed to rent it, as they were living with MIL who wanted them out.

Mr. A., a softer touch than I, heard them out. The guy wasn't even able to put up a security deposit because "I had to help my friend when his truck went out."

Priorities...some people's just slay ya.

They were frozen because of a missed payment a friend leant him enough to get current. He makes minimal payments and he has a big credit limit .I wouldn't be surprised if he got another loan from another friend..we won't give him money

I’ve been suckered too. A very good long time friend asking for a small loan. I knew his situation was not great but that he was responsible, decent job, etc. Why did I not think that I was one of many, many friends he had borrowed from. A year went by with no mention of repayment. We worked out a trade for some equipment he wasn’t using.

I wonder who, or what, his friend didn't pay, in order to give your friend a "loan" which clearly is not going to be repaid.

I'll always remember a couple with kids, who desperately wanted to rent a townhouse which Mr. A. was painting. They approached him several times (I wasn't there) to plead to be allowed to rent it, as they were living with MIL who wanted them out.

Mr. A., a softer touch than I, heard them out. The guy wasn't even able to put up a security deposit because "I had to help my friend when his truck went out."

He's had these cards a long time and didn't miss any payments until last summer. I think he has about a total of mid 40K on 3 or 4 different cards of course he has a ton of interest rolling over to credit limit every month now. If he hasn't borrowed from other friends he probably has about 30 days before he maxes out the CC limit or doesn't have enough cash flow to make minimum payments.

He's had these cards a long time and didn't miss any payments until last summer. I think he has about a total of mid 40K on 3 or 4 different cards of course he has a ton of interest rolling over to credit limit every month now. If he hasn't borrowed from other friends he probably has about 30 days before he maxes out the CC limit or doesn't have enough cash flow to make minimum payments.

When my sister did that, after she paid $500 towards a card, they increased her limit by $3K :facepalm:

That way she could buy more... :(

When my sister did that, after she paid $500 towards a card, they increased her limit by $3K :facepalm:

That way she could buy more... :(

That's the way the credit card companies play the game, in my view it's little better than the street drug dealers who get their customers addicted with initial discounts or giveaways.

A guy at work was telling me that his wife, at the time with a $23k/year annual income from SS alone, was given higher cc limits than he had with his $120k/year income. They know they can milk that poor old lady for more money than the guy who pays it off every month.

For some high end cards where there is high credit score and income barrier, income does play a part. Most credit cards the limit will largely depend on your credit score and how big much your existing cards and total credit used/available are. The higher the second two, the bigger you can get on new and existing lines of credit (either they raise it themselves or many will raise if another of your credit cards do in order to get you to keep using their card or many will ask online or over the phone to raise).

I hear you on Mr A- I won't bother with potential tenants that can't fork over first month rent and the security deposit at signing at a mininum. It's one reason I don't have that many issues with tenants!

I've only just discovered this thread, and so much of it rings true. So many of us have faced similar situations with friends and relations. I have a personal example that has not (yet) dragged into drugs and questions of mental sanity.

I have a friend, who is still employed, who projects an image of stability and responsibility. However, he is financially incompetent (but not at the same stage right now -- but has been in the past). Over the years, he's faced situations in which his excessive spending, max'd out credit cards, failure to file taxes and pleas for money have burned numerous bridges. Every time we think the behavior is under control something new and inappropriate comes up, often previously undisclosed (There is a lot of baggage behind the spending, the lying about the age, efforts to keep up appearances, etc). Similar to ivinsfin's friend, he is 67, but has no net worth, an aging car but a job that will yield a pension (that won't meet his spending level).

Giving money was that -- he burned through many friends over the decades through that process. After giving him money, I told him not to ever ask again, but if he was about to lose his apartment and had no job he could move into the spare room. Eventually, after blowing through a 300K+/yr job with no progress financially and no new job, he got to that point of desperation and had to move in. Eventually, he got a new job and was able to move out. We thought that was the bottom but it hasn't really ended as the behaviors tend to repeat themselves over time, but with perhaps less dramatic swings.

The remaining long term friends are either very FI or were never borrowed from (or exposed to the mess that is his finances).

I wish this story had a happy ending, but it is an ongoing saga.

Our close relative just makes bad decisions. No other way to describe this person's thought process. What does one do? No amount of common sense registers. He has 2 small children and a wife. We've gifted some things, do not expect repayment. Yet he cannot see that his decisions are IMO ridiculous, idiotic, or plain stupid.

Bought a ride-on lawn mower with a very small yard and a 1000 sq. ft. home. They do not have a clothes dryer. Is investing in a snow cone machine to open a snow cone business. In a small town that is depressed. Hoards old, junk that is literally worthless thinking he will make a killing when he sells it. Has huge CC debt. Lived for years without a functioning bathroom. It has a working toilet. The sink dribbles water and does have a not shower. The family walks outside to a small store he owns that has a shower. That store will be the snow cone business. There are so many other things, I just can't list them because they are beyond comprehension.

No amount of advice sinks in. We're waiting for a disastrous emergency because it's gonna happen and we are his only source of help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom