Join Early Retirement Today

Need help with IRS Direct Pay for estimated taxes
Old 08-18-2022, 04:49 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Need help with IRS Direct Pay for estimated taxes

I am helping my 90 year old mother simplify her finances. She had been paying her estimated income taxes by mailing a check. I told her we could do it online. I paid her state tax estimate online with no problem. I tried to pay her federal estimate using IRS direct pay and could not do it. The first time I tried it said her identity could not be verified. I double checked all the info to make sure it was identical to her 2021 tax return and tried again. This time it said I had incorrectly entered her SS number with hyphens. I entered the number with no hyphens but the site automatically inserted hyphens. I tried using both Safari and Firefox browsers, no success. I also tried my iPad, no success.

Any suggestions?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use Direct Pay on an iPad - Safari browser - without issues.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:54 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I don’t have any experience with IRS Direct Pay. But like others here I’ve used EFTPS for years with zero issues. Easy to enroll, and easy to pay estimated Federal taxes. https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/direct/EftpsHome.page

I also use NCDOR to pay NC estimated taxes, also very easy to use, no enrollment even. https://electronic-services.dor.nc.gov/wps/portal/nc40

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bonds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

EFTPS as said above. Easy peasy!
Old 08-18-2022, 04:55 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The EFTPS requires a PIN which is mailed to you and takes weeks. FYI
Old 08-18-2022, 04:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I must have forgot about that long wait since I have been using EFTPS for over a decade.
Old 08-18-2022, 05:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If she has RMDs greater than her taxes, she could have it withheld from that. That automatically is treated as if it was even throughout the year. At least for Fidelity, it was just a couple clicks, no other account/logins required. Easier than Easy peasy!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Like aja8888 it was so long ago for me I donít remember, but OK.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bonds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:30 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Writing a check and mailing it to the IRS with your SS # and Form indicated (1040) works too. But it sounds like that is what she currently is doing.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I am helping my 90 year old mother simplify her finances. She had been paying her estimated income taxes by mailing a check. I told her we could do it online. I paid her state tax estimate online with no problem. I tried to pay her federal estimate using IRS direct pay and could not do it. The first time I tried it said her identity could not be verified. I double checked all the info to make sure it was identical to her 2021 tax return and tried again. This time it said I had incorrectly entered her SS number with hyphens. I entered the number with no hyphens but the site automatically inserted hyphens. I tried using both Safari and Firefox browsers, no success. I also tried my iPad, no success.

Any suggestions?
we use EFTPS for federal estimated taxes.
https://www.eftps.com/eftps/
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:42 PM   #11

Quote:
That will be the problem with the EFTPS, the PIN will be mailed to mother's house and I live about and hour and a half away. I guess she could read the PIN to me over the phone and I could finish setting it up online (mother is not computer literate). I wonder if the PIN would be mailed in time to pay her 9/15 estimate?
Old 08-18-2022, 06:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If she has RMDs greater than her taxes, she could have it withheld from that. That automatically is treated as if it was even throughout the year. At least for Fidelity, it was just a couple clicks, no other account/logins required. Easier than Easy peasy!

-ERD50
Good idea, that is what I do for myself but mother has no RMD. I guess I could have it withheld from her SS but she counts on the SS deposit for her spending money.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Writing a check and mailing it to the IRS with your SS # and Form indicated (1040) works too. But it sounds like that is what she currently is doing.
Yes, that is what she has been doing but keeping up with it and writing and mailing the check is getting too much for her. I am trying to do more for her and simplify things. We have almost all of her bills on automatic payment, the tax estimate is one she has still been writing a check for and I am trying to eliminate that.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:50 PM   #14

+1 on EFTPS.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:51 PM   #15

Has anyone had any experience paying Federal taxes by credit card? Mother has a cash back credit card. I know there is a 2% fee for using a credit card for paying federal taxes but she gets about that in cash back so it could be a wash.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:53 PM   #16
Administrator

I was rejected from EFTPS twice. There is no way to find out why and fix it. So I just mail them a check.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I was rejected from EFTPS twice. There is no way to find out why and fix it. So I just mail them a check.
Gumby did you try IRS direct pay?
Old 08-18-2022, 07:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
we use EFTPS for federal estimated taxes.
https://www.eftps.com/eftps/
Apply well in advance because of the need for a PIN to use the service.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:11 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Gumby did you try IRS direct pay?
No, I didn't. I read about their problems last year and decided that I would try to help by filing electronically for the first time in my life. But they made that impossible, so I'm done with them. The can suck on paper for the rest of my life.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
No, I didn't. I read about their problems last year and decided that I would try to help by filing electronically for the first time in my life. But they made that impossible, so I'm done with them. The can suck on paper for the rest of my life.
What will you do when you are 90 like my mother and can't write the check anymore? Do you have a dutiful daughter like me that will figure it out for you?