Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenER View Post
I have always tipped the hairdresser. What I'm confused by is the masseuse. I don't tip other medical professionals. I have a copay and it's billed to insurance, but I am uncertain what the social norm is.

Ms. Post doesn't say it's required.
We do tip ours, she offers a $10.00 discount for those over 50, we 'tip' it back.

Of more interest is how you get your insurance to pay for massage therapy?

I was doing physical therapy and the therapist started with 15 minutes of cervical massage as my neck was locked up and she/I couldn't do any therapy without it. Insurance paid zero, she had warned me that it was seldom covered. I didn't care at the time, pain, the ability to move your neck, and avoiding c-spine surgery seemed more important than money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I just got my hair cut at a home-based place. She charged me $18 for a simple trim and blow dry, I gave her $5 tip.

I like to surprise other folks who never get tipped...like the auto store dude who reinstalled my drivers' side windshield wiper in cold rain last week. He could have sold me a new wiper but he just fixed it. $5 tip for sure.

We had a new recliner delivered a few months ago. We gave each of the delivery guys $10 each. Talk about big smiles !

I delivered $20 tips for xmas to the day bartenders at the VFW and a local bar I frequent to play pool. They were shocked. I just grinned and told them I was Santa's Elf.

I tend to be very generous because of my upbringing. Back in the day, Mom waitressed/bartended/hostessed in the restaurant business. Anything her customers tipped her ended up as extras for us kids.
When I w*rked as a small engine mechanic during summers to finance college, people would tip me very well for getting their lawnmower going in less than half an hour. I was the Quick Service Tech. My boss looked the other way.

Passing it forward...
Old 01-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Like the others here, I would continue to tip. It's just the nice thing to do, IMO. It shows that you value her services beyond the basic amount she chooses to charge for them.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenER View Post
Actually since the massage is billed to insurance and my copay is only $12, it's a bargain in my book for an hour of bliss. I try to use my max allotment each year. It has helped hugely with some acute muscular issues/injuries in the past and if I don't have "issues" to address I use up my allotment as a treat!
I'm glad I read this thread. I just went through my health ins and saw I can get massage therapy covered as well. I have to pay the full amount up to deductible then no further charge. If I have already reached my deductible for some reason then i'll definitely take advantage of the free massages. I get up to 20 massage or physical therapy sessions per year.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Ms. Post doesn't say it's required [tipping for massage professionals].
Time for new glasses ? Actually it is, mentioned at the very end of your link to Emily's guidelines for tipping:

Quote:
Facial, waxing, massage

15-20%
Old 01-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

MRG, My plan covers a set number of massage and/or PT visits per year with a written prescription for treatment. Ask your PCP for a massage Rx for a specific treatment, i.e. low back pain x12 visits. The masseuse will always ask what you want worked on and will veer off the strict confines of the Rx after the first visit. aaronc879 has a good point though about meeting deductible first. My insurance just changed (for the worse, go figure!) this last year. Previously I only had to pay copay but as of this last year I had to pay my deductible first. I had already done so before I began using massage visits for the year.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Very simple. If you want to continue to feel a that you are a valued client, tip

If this is not important to you, don't tip.
This.

If she gives you service which you feel is worthy of a tip, you tip. If not, don't. You are not obligated to tip... ever (except if the restaurant includes tip in the bill, I suppose). But a lot of the time it's the right thing to do for good or exceptional service.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:00 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Time for new glasses ? Actually it is, mentioned at the very end of your link to Emily's guidelines for tipping:
Whoops it is time for glasses. Actually I see better reading wise to dump my bifocals, sorry for the inaccurate post.

Thank you GreenER.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Turns out most salon owners welcome gratuities.
I am shocked! Shocked!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:17 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I know! The nerve of some people, appreciating extra $$.

It says "appreciate," not "expect," and that fits well with Freebird's philosophy of bestowing tips where they are deserved but not expected.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I am shocked! Shocked!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Our hair beautician recently left the salon and set up shop out of her home. Today was my first visit to her since she set up shop in her home. She is now self employed. I had my hair colored and cut (as usual) and added my typical tip. It just occurred to me if I should still tip since she is self employed?

Thoughts?
You are proposing to give her a pay cut? She is used to getting a tip from you and I think she would see a non-tip or reduced tip as a bad (perhaps hurtful) sign.

Most people have a nice relationship with the hair stylist and would want to keep it going. My wife even has lunch with her hair stylist. That doesn't mean the relationship is built on money transfers, but reducing the payment could poison the relationship.

Just my thoughts.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

When my stylist raised her rates to a level beyond my budget, I told her I could pay her rate with no tip or I'd have to find someone else to cut my hair. I felt rather uncomfortable doing that, but thought it was better than just never showing up again.
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
My car mechanic is important to me, so is my Doctor and Dentist - I've never tipped either one. I think that tipping has much more ritual/convention surrounding it than simply the value of the services provided.
I am a practical person. I didn't set out to write a treatise on tipping, only to answer the specific question which had to do with a self employed hairdresser. But recently even medicos have found a way to be tipped, handsomely at that. It's called concierge medicine.

Ha
Old 01-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am a practical person. I didn't set out to write a treatise on tipping, only to answer the specific question which had to do with a self employed hairdresser. But recently even medicos have found a way to be tipped, handsomely at that. It's called concierge medicine.

Ha
Right, that's what I was getting at with the phrase 'I think that tipping has much more ritual/convention surrounding it than simply the value of the services provided.'.

There was another post about a 'pay cut' w/o the tip. I'm not sure that's accurate, this person is also eliminating the 'middle-man', so maybe getting everything is her 'tip'?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:34 PM   #35

hmmm... does this mean I should tip DW when she cuts my hair? hmmm... will she tip back when I cut her's?
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:41 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Right, that's what I was getting at with the phrase 'I think that tipping has much more ritual/convention surrounding it than simply the value of the services provided.'.

There was another post about a 'pay cut' w/o the tip. I'm not sure that's accurate, this person is also eliminating the 'middle-man', so maybe getting everything is her 'tip'?

-ERD50
Each state has it's own cosmology board that set their rules. Booth rental or a percentage of services(don't think tips are split) are the only 2 I know of. Seems each state allows just one.

Think were talking about WA state and they're booth rental. Depending on area they can be as little as $50 - to much much more. But the owner now has to get sinks, chairs, dryers non of that is cheap. Perhaps throw in remodeling costs. Then there's insurance she must purchase. Of course she needs to have her shop inspection, business license, electric and water expenses......Point I'm making is we wouldn't know.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Well here's Emily Posts guide to tipping: General Tipping Guidelines She makes no mention of not tipping owners. Also nothing for massages.
Towards the bottom she says massages are 15-20%. In the 'good' places, a better tip makes for a much better massage.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:21 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interesting responses. Interesting how some professions are expected to get tips while others not so much.
At one point I led yoga, Pilates and cycle classes (group and private). Never received tips and never expected too. I made significantly less than my hairdresser (I get my hair colored). In fact on the rare occasion I get a massage, it is less expensive than my hairdresser, but some don't feel they should be tipped ( I do tip). Very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-11-2015, 01:14 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

This thread made me think about who I do tip if the service justifies.

1. Barber (owner of one man shop)
2. Restaurant server
3. Bartender
4. Fishing guide
5. Mail person at Xmas
6. Staff (housekeepers, servers, fish cleaner, etc.) at fishing lodge
7. Some one time, ad hoc situations such as the mechanic who made emergency repairs on the RV after hours, the guys who delivered and neatly stacked my cord of firewood last month and the lawn guys who moved some of DW's heavy landscaping boulders and I didn't have to......
Old 01-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Well here's Emily Posts guide to tipping: http://www.emilypost.com/out-and-abo...ing-guidelines
She makes no mention of not tipping owners. Also nothing for massages.

I tip my masseuse the highest of all! Its a full hour of intense personal effort. Others I know felt the same. I tip highest for a great massage.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum