Join Early Retirement Today

Need Input - Tipping
Old 01-09-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Need Input - Tipping

Our hair beautician recently left the salon and set up shop out of her home. Today was my first visit to her since she set up shop in her home. She is now self employed. I had my hair colored and cut (as usual) and added my typical tip. It just occurred to me if I should still tip since she is self employed?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many hair stylists are self-employed, even if they're in a salon (renting a chair from the owner). I personally see no reason to change the arrangement. My wife has her hair cut by a salon owner, and she tips him.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Nope.
Did you tip the owner of the previous place ?
She gets the total price you paid - expenses as her profit.
If her prices are too low, then she needs to raise them, not rely on tips.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Very simple. If you want to continue to feel a that you are a valued client, tip

If this is not important to you, don't tip.

Ha
Old 01-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We tip our friend who runs the kennel where we leave our dogs. As I've explained to her the business part is business, and the friendship part is personal and separate. We tip because we get great service and she goes out of her way for us. The friendship developed after the business relationship, and I don't see why a change in the circumstances should alter the business situation. I agree with Haha.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:16 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'm in the same situation for,the woman who,cuts my hair. I've tipped her when she was working for someone else, when she opened her own place for five years, and now that she cuts my hair in her home. I tip her four bucks on a sixteen dollar hair cut, so it's not a major expense.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:26 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

This. People are people, and in our society, money is how we show that we value their work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Very simple. If you want to continue to feel a that you are a valued client, tip

Ha
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:49 AM   #8

DW has her hair cut by a long time friend who owns her own 1-person hair shop and charges what I consider a relatively high price.

Still, DW tips her. Since she does a superb job on the haircut every time, it's hard to argue with what works.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:24 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No question, tip.

As stated previously, even if she was cutting hair in a salon, she may have been renting the booth and was already a sole proprietor.

If she moved and raised her prices, you may want to negotiate a better price, and still tip.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:43 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
+1
Old 01-10-2015, 06:46 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

She didn't give it back so it must be okay. The don't-tip-the-owner rule probably went out the window a long time ago for hair stylists.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:47 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Nope.
Did you tip the owner of the previous place ?
She gets the total price you paid - expenses as her profit.
If her prices are too low, then she needs to raise them, not rely on tips.

I don't understand why you would think tipping to show appreciation of the service you received is any different since she is now self employed?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
She didn't give it back so it must be okay. The don't-tip-the-owner rule probably went out the window a long time ago for hair stylists.
It's still there but many folks do tip the owner. When DW did nails(when there was money in it) she was the owner only ~10% didn't tip.

In hair your the owner or, renting a booth, or working for a percentage. I'd tip, I tip my barber and he's the owner.

Edit to add: I'd tip if she's running it like a shop, if she's using my time to take care of her kids, I'd find another shop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:34 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I have always tipped the hairdresser. What I'm confused by is the masseuse. I don't tip other medical professionals. I have a copay and it's billed to insurance, but I am uncertain what the social norm is.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Well here's Emily Posts guide to tipping: http://www.emilypost.com/out-and-abo...ing-guidelines
She makes no mention of not tipping owners. Also nothing for massages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenER View Post
I have always tipped the hairdresser. What I'm confused by is the masseuse. I don't tip other medical professionals. I have a copay and it's billed to insurance, but I am uncertain what the social norm is.
I don't go to a masseuse because it's too expensive. If I did go, I wouldn't tip them because they're already making a lot of money for their time IMO. Someone on here posted a while back that they were shocked/upset they Only got tipped $5 for giving a massage. That seems like a good tip to me if you give anything to someone making $60+/hr.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:53 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I have always tipped my barber ang he owns his own shop. Never thought about not tipping just because he's the owner. In general, most of my tipping is done at restaurants. Poor service gets very little or nothing, good service gets up to 20%.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually since the massage is billed to insurance and my copay is only $12, it's a bargain in my book for an hour of bliss. I try to use my max allotment each year. It has helped hugely with some acute muscular issues/injuries in the past and if I don't have "issues" to address I use up my allotment as a treat!
Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #19

Emily post addresses the owner issue here - and also massue:

Quote:
Salons
If the owner cuts your hair, you're off the hook, right? Wrong. Turns out most salon owners welcome gratuities. "Not tipping the owner is an old tradition that's dying out," Post says. She recommends 15 to 20 percent of the fee, whether or not the stylist owns the place. When more than one person (stylist, colorist, blower) attends to you, split 15 to 20 percent among them according to how much each contributed to the outcome. A basic shampoo and conditioning rates $1 to $3; a wash involving foil removal and color rinses requires a bit more. Slip 15 to 20 percent each to a masseuse and a manicurist.

Read more: Guide to Tipping
Old 01-10-2015, 08:20 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ha
My car mechanic is important to me, so is my Doctor and Dentist - I've never tipped either one. I think that tipping has much more ritual/convention surrounding it than simply the value of the services provided.

Specific to this case, I do tip my barbers (barbarettas?) a somewhat generous % (over 20%, and then round up) of the non-discounted amount of the bill (I almost always have a coupon). But since the cost of a haircut is pretty low, the actual dollar amount does not seem worth quibbling, and I get the impression these workers don't really make all that much, though I'd prefer the tip was just included in the cost of the service and the workers paid accordingly. I'm not sure what should be done with an owner - again, I think convention is the key, probably no logic applies to this.

A very long time ago, a friend of ours became a beautician, and she did some haircuts in her home. IIRC (it was a long time ago), I just paid her what she asked, no tip. I figured she was working out of her apartment, no real overhead (probably not reporting it?), she should ask for what she needs and I will pay it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote