Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, thank you all for the suggestions!!!!!!!
canuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom2708 View Post
Whew. Lots of interesting comments about bond funds.It seems a lot of people look at the change in NAV (Net Asset Value) and use that as the gain or loss.

Bonds are for safety and some return. Many also take too much risk on the bond side. Use a good intermediate-term bond index (Total US, Int-Term Tax-Exempt) and up your stock percentage if you want more risk.

I hope in some of these threads the little nuggets of truth come through in the end.
Yep! Certainly some seem to focus on NAV rather than total return.

It also seems that folks see the high returns in stocks and fixed income looks paltry in comparison. So which one is overextended?

In asset allocation it’s best to look at the whole and not worry about the parts in isolation.

We’ve been waiting for five years now for interest rates to rise and it’s just now happening after a brief scary in 2013 (which reversed quickly).

Personally, I hold cash, short-term bond index, and mostly high quality intermediate bond funds. I rebalance annually and otherwise don’t worry about it. While stocks are on a tear rebalancing builds up the bond allocation. High quality bond funds have done just fine during periods of rising interest rates and rarely go negative, and they shine when stocks are unhappy. If there is a negative year the next year gives a strong recovery. Look at benchmark AGG if you want to study history.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw5972 View Post
Be sure to include a 3 year period with rising interest rates.
Yup... here are 4 rising interest rate periods... be sure to include them in your 3 year periods.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/320...g-rate-periods

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks again! A picture will be worth a thousand words!
canuck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post

Anyways, I wouldn't change a thing about your portfolio.
Agree. Although my AA is more conservative(see sig), I think you have it laid out well.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:36 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

In asset allocation it’s best to look at the whole and not worry about the parts in isolation.
Yes. Choose the right AA. Re-balance as needed. No worries, sleep well at night.... party on, Wayne.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote