Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A big factor of Germany economy stalling is the worldwide decline in auto sales. Germany exports 80% of the cars it makes. And sales are slowing down from European countries to India and China.

And why are auto sales down? Is it because the economy of the other countries is slowing down too? Things look gloomier all the time.
History has shown shown that the stock market crashes before the recession. Most economists are predicting a recession within 6 to 24 months. Thus a crash may occur 4 to 22 months. 4 months is Jan 2020. Election is 15 months which is why the chances are 50/50 by election day. The American consumers are still spending which is holding up the economy. Something major has to happen to shake up consumer's confidence.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Apparently, some mortgages in Europe are now have negative interest rates meaning that the banks are paying people to borrow money to buy their homes. The corona virus has kept the negative rates around longer than anybody expected.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/with-ne...d=hp_lead_pos7

Quote:
LISBON—Paula Cristina Santos has a dream mortgage: The bank pays her.
Her interest rate fluctuates, but right now it is around minus 0.25%. So every month, Ms. Santos’s lender, Banco BPI SA, deposits in her account interest on the 320,000-euro mortgage, equivalent to roughly $380,000, she took out in 2008. In March, she received around $45. She is still paying principal on the loan.
Quote:
Many European borrowers have variable-rate mortgages tied to interest-rate benchmarks. Like most in Portugal, Ms. Santos’s is tied to Euribor, which is based on how much it costs European banks to borrow from each other. She pays a fixed 0.29% on top of the three-month Euribor rate. When she took out the mortgage in 2008, three-month Euribor was close to 5%. It has been falling in recent months and is now near a record low, at minus 0.54%.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:29 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Apparently, some mortgages in Europe are now have negative interest rates meaning that the banks are paying people to borrow money to buy their homes. The corona virus has kept the negative rates around longer than anybody expected.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/with-ne...d=hp_lead_pos7

IMO...Very unlikely negative rates are going to happen in the USA for the following reasons:

1. US Fed is committed to avoid negative interest rates.

2. US Fed has an inflation rate target of +2% to help pay the deficit (2% inflation = wages goes up = more tax revenues).

3. US Fed have to adjust the treasury rate market to positive interest in order to acquire investor money to pay for the deficit.

4. European money is coming in which drives up the US stock market. A negative rate may crash the US Stock market since European investors has an exchange rate risk and they may pull out of the US and invest in countries without a negative rate.

In other words, a negative interest rate will create more problems than trying to stimulate the economy. US decided to stimulate the economy with stimulus checks instead. You normally do not do both.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 04:52 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This started a long long time ago. See post #8 from 08/19 of this thread. I wonder why would I pay any principle if I had a mortgage with a negative interest rate.