Join Early Retirement Today

Negotiated dental rates without insurance
Old 10-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Negotiated dental rates without insurance

I just got a flyer for this company in my Patelco HSA statement:

Dental Benefits Plus: America's Best Dental Plan

They basically give you access to negotiated rates for dental services but you pay the full amount due.

The monthly rates make it look too expensive to be worthwhile for preventative, but might be useful if you know you have some expensive work coming up.

It sounds like it may be of use to some, although I personally can't use it since my dentist isn't in their network.

If anyone knows of other such services especially with lower monthly fees, please post.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2007, 07:14 AM   #2

I asked my dentist if he discounted cash payments ... said he'ld take 10% of the top; 5% for CC payments. Asked him if I could continue to get the group rates megacorp's provider negotiated ... he said "sure". I've been with the guy 20 years ... he saw my son on a saturday with a chipped tooth.

Helps to be a loyal customer when negotiating lower payments.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I asked my dentist if he discounted cash payments ... said he'ld take 10% of the top; 5% for CC payments. Asked him if I could continue to get the group rates megacorp's provider negotiated ... he said "sure". I've been with the guy 20 years ... he saw my son on a saturday with a chipped tooth.

Helps to be a loyal customer when negotiating lower payments.
Hmmm. Sounds good to me!
Old 10-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most of the dentists on these pseudo plans arent the better dentists, but either youngsters or guys who havent had much luck building their own practice. You can probably call around with a specific set of work you want done and get a similar quote from the same dentists and maybe a bit more from a higher quality/rep barber dentist.

Your regular dentist (and doctor) may give you a break for not dealing with the insurance company paperwork.

If you do your brushing and flossing, ideally with a good braun or sonicare toothbrush, you probably dont need as much preventative care as many dentists would like to bill your insurance for to schedule you for. I've gone four and two years between cleanings and had the dentist tell me that it looked like I just had a cleaning a few months ago.

In fact, I might go so far as to promote that you spend more time on daily care and less time having a guy stab you in the gums with a possibly clean sharp metal tool check you out.

Sorry, it seems that having a parent who taught dentistry and still hearing about it all on a regular basis has had some sort of effect.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #5

Dental insurance sucks for the most part anyway.

I'm fond of my dentist for his great technical skills, impressive resume, and ability to make things mostly pain free. That being said, those things have given him the ability to not deal with any kind of insurance. He's cash / cc only.

I had a filling last week which ran me $225 and my insurance company reimbursed me a whopping $9!
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:34 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We dropped dental last year, there was a $1800 cap anyway so it just didn't seem like a good deal, especially with all the deductions and limited amounts they paid. I asked the Dentist about a discount for cash and they said $5 off each visit. Not great but better than a stick in the eye.

Jeb
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote