Join Early Retirement Today

Negotiating Salary after an offer
Old 08-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Negotiating Salary after an offer

Let's image that you have received an offer from a company (XYZ) that you left a year ago. The offer is the same as your current salary at another company (ABC). The offered salary is only 2% over the previous salary at XYZ, however. It seems reasonable to ask for a salary that is at least 6% over the last salary (at XYZ) that was effective two years ago, based on the assumption that you would have received the 3% annual raise if you had stayed.

Is it the rationale that you would say to the hiring manager?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #2

Screw all that, what are you worth? Take that, add 10% and start negotiating from there.

Your goal isnt to be fair, it's to find the maximum offer you can get from the offer. You are obviously a scarce resource, and a known quantity, and they want you. Leverage your position if power. Pay, perks, benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Screw all that, what are you worth? Take that, add 10% and start negotiating from there.

Your goal isnt to be fair, it's to find the maximum offer you can get from the offer. You are obviously a scarce resource, and a known quantity, and they want you. Leverage your position if power. Pay, perks, benefits.

Sounds good. How about the following verbiage?

"I'm really excited about the position and confident that I will make a significant contribution. I appreciate the verbal offer at $xxx, but was expecting somewhere in the $yyy range based on my experience, drive, and performance. Can we look at a salary of $yyy for this position plus 1 extra week of vacation?"
Old 08-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #4

I'd be more direct.

" i feel the contribution i will make to xyz should have a compensation of 125k. The market statistics for my skills and experience certainly support this compensation level in this market. Further, hiring me reduces your organizational risk of a bad hire on the open market that could cause xyz significant annual costs by bringing a low performer into the company"

Insert market link

Old 08-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spanky has a great answer though I might change the order of one sentence:

"For someone with my experience, drive, and proven performance, I believe fair compensation would be …."

I would also ask for a signing bonus to overcome any delays in joining the 401(k) and loss of company matches.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

How about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

"I'm really excited about the ??? position and confident that I will can make a significant contribution. I appreciate the verbal offer at $xxx, but this would not be enough to entice me to give up my present position. I would be more open to an offer was expecting somewhere in the $yyy range with an extra week of vacation based on my experience, drive, and performance and current compensation. Can we look at a salary of $yyy for this position plus 1 extra week of vacation?"
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I think the previous posters have the right idea. I just went through this and negotiated from a position of leverage (don't need the job). I simply stated that their offer was well short of my expectations and that they would have to do better for me to consider making a move. Since the hiring manager was a pragmatist, she simply asked me what I wanted. Have a lofty sum in mind if they ask you. Hint: you should get way more than an extra 6% to jump.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #8

Thanks for the all the input - be direct and start with 10%.

One more thing: XYZ has an annual bonus program that has a target payout of 15%. It is prorated, however. That is, the fiscal year starts on May 1, 2014 and ends on April 30, 2015. Starting on 9/1/14, for instance, equates to 12% (8/12 *15%). Historically, the average pay out is about 90%.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Hint: you should get way more than an extra 6% to jump.
+1000! If you left on your own accord, obviously you made the choice, and you didn't come crawling back to them begging to hire you. So for them to offer you about the same salary as 2 years ago is a slap in the face. Unless they offer some other amazing benefits that you can't get anywhere (which it doesn't sound like).
Old 08-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the all the input - be direct and start with 10%.
If it were me, I would start with +20 to 25%. You don't ask, you don't get.

- George Orwell

Old 08-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
+1000! If you left on your own accord, obviously you made the choice, and you didn't come crawling back to them begging to hire you. So for them to offer you about the same salary as 2 years ago is a slap in the face. Unless they offer some other amazing benefits that you can't get anywhere (which it doesn't sound like).
Unfortunately, I was riffed. They may perceive that I am "begging" to come back.
Their benefits are great plus a bonus program with a target payout of 15%.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
If it were me, I would start with +20 to 25%. You don't ask, you don't get.
Thanks. +20% will exceed the range of this pay band.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks. +20% will exceed the range of this pay band.

So? Dude, the corporate rules are made up. You gotta stop negotiating against yourself. Let someone us tell you no, don't do that work for them.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
So? Dude, the corporate rules are made up. You gotta stop negotiating against yourself. Let someone us tell you no, don't do that work for them.

+1000. If you do not treat your time and energy as the most valuable commodity on earth, nobody else will. If they have some sort of made up internal rule that limits your comp (if you play by their made-up rules), make it their problem rather than yours. All salary bands and HR rules are fundamentally bullshit.

- George Orwell

Old 08-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

What you were paid before may have no relationship to current market salaries. I suggest that you determine what a competitive salary is. Then, add to it and start negotiating.

As a hiring manager at megacorp it was not unusual to pay a new employee more than an existing one-purely because of the then current job market. This is your one time ability to get a raise without concern to salary bands, so called salary freezes or caps. If I wanted to hire at an amount greater than the salary band, I just moved the potential new hire one category up.

The other negotiating strategy, depending on how you are taxed, it to determine if there are any benefits over and above salary that you would like. If these benefits are non taxable, negotiate for these and be willing to give a little on the 'taxable' income.

Be realistic, but never sell yourself short. Keep this in mind. If they bring a stranger into the organization it will take that person some time to get up to speed. PLUS, as a hiring manager, you never really know who you are hiring, or have hired, until six months or a year later. By then it is too late. This is a HUGE advantage for you depending on your function and on the company. Your hire presents NO RISK and immediate full productivity. These two have value which you should be able to turn into income or an income equivilent.....more vacation, stock options, whatever.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #16

Thanks for the input. That's correct that do not sell yourself short and realize that I am a known commodity who has demonstrated the ability and results for which they are looking.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

6% to cross the street? No way!
Old 08-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Remember that they can move your position to another salary band. The higher you are in an existing band the smaller your increases in the future. CHANGE THE BAND!

If you really want to go back consider asking for a 'signing bonus'. The problem with those is that they do not build your base.

Go for both.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Remember that they can move your position to another salary band. The higher you are in an existing band the smaller your increases in the future. CHANGE THE BAND!

If you really want to go back consider asking for a 'signing bonus'. The problem with those is that they do not build your base.

Go for both.
concurred- starting at a higher band is definitely a plus for future raises.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

What make you think that you will not be the first to be RIFFed again And the first one in line no less

I would stay where I am unless there were a really good reason for me to go back...

BTW, a lot of mega corps will put you right back to where you were in time working at the company for 401(k) and vacation... some even with a 5 year gap...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote