Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
i also have friends who milk every benefit they can, and it is very discouraging. they even applied for free/reduced lunch when they make a decent income because the application uses last year's income and by the present her husband had started working and increased their income...luckily they were rejected. they've also gone to the chiropractor just because it was included as a benefit, not because they needed it, and on and on...
I've changed my position on these types of things. For example: the reduced price lunch for your friend's kids. Should they apply for it? In the past, I would have said 'no", since they have enough money to pay for the lunches, and it's probably true that they aren't the intended recipient of this government aid. I would have said that they were doing a good thing by not taking the money.

Now, I'm inclined to say 'take it. Take every penny that you qualify for." Why shouldn't they? They aren't taking the money/benefit fraudulently, since they are meeting al the requirements of the (dumb) rules. I take every tax deduction for which I qualify, right? The government doesn't ask me if I've got enough money to pay my taxes, or if the taxes will be an undue burden--they expect payment. By the same token, if there's a program designed to distribute funds under some stupid set of rules, every qualified individual should take full advantage of the situation. It's probably the best way to get this tax money back into the productive economy. And, these people should write to the newspaper and tell all their friends how they getting things for free. This is the best way to generate a little outrage and get things reigned in.

Now, if this were charity, that would be entirely different. Taking that without being in need is wrong and contemptible.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2008, 08:52 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Just wanted to make a clarification that 40% of Americans pay no "income tax" at all.

Those 40% pay plenty of other taxes, between FICA, sales tax, property tax (even renters), gas tax, liquor tax, etc.

We can argue about what their fair share is, but they aren't paying nothing.
Hmmm.. OK... let me think carefully about what you have said. You are agreeing that 40% pay no income tax. Then you go on to say that they pay sales type taxes on other things. I agree with you on those points. But.... these are the taxes that the other 60% of people are paying in addition to income tax. The point that I was trying to make, is that if people do not have a horse in the race (financially speaking), then most will not care about the situation one way or the other. Now if on the other hand we one day go to a flat tax system, then suddenly EVERYONE is concerned about taxes going up and down.... not just 60%. Are you implying that somehow I should be happy that at least they are paying these sales type taxes? I am not...
armor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I've changed my position on these types of things. For example: the reduced price lunch for your friend's kids. Should they apply for it? In the past, I would have said 'no", since they have enough money to pay for the lunches, and it's probably true that they aren't the intended recipient of this government aid. I would have said that they were doing a good thing by not taking the money.

Now, I'm inclined to say 'take it. Take every penny that you qualify for." Why shouldn't they? They aren't taking the money/benefit fraudulently, since they are meeting al the requirements of the (dumb) rules. I take every tax deduction for which I qualify, right? The government doesn't ask me if I've got enough money to pay my taxes, or if the taxes will be an undue burden--they expect payment. By the same token, if there's a program designed to distribute funds under some stupid set of rules, every qualified individual should take full advantage of the situation. It's probably the best way to get this tax money back into the productive economy. And, these people should write to the newspaper and tell all their friends how they getting things for free. This is the best way to generate a little outrage and get things reigned in.

Now, if this were charity, that would be entirely different. Taking that without being in need is wrong and contemptible.

I see your point - if we were talking tax deductions, we'd probably see much less of a problem of people milking whatever they could to squeeze it -

But once you compare to a charity I differ - as I've said before - many great charities get lots of state and federal dollars and I also wouldn't want to contribute to perception of waste for programs that do help people, even if some abuse the rules...
Old 07-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Steve Hawks, owner of RE/MAX Platinum real estate agency in Henderson, Nev., says he has been flooded with calls from people interested in "buying and bailing" -- that is, buying an additional house while their credit is still good, then walking away from the old one unless they can cut a favorable deal with the lender. So far the number of people who have done so appears to be small. But Hawks says banks are receptive to lending for such purchases because they figure the buyer will be able to afford the new, cheaper place. Also, says Hawks, they know that, since the buyer's credit will become damaged, he or she won't pull the same trick on them, at least for a few years.
Amazing how these financially naive people who got themselves into more house/loan than they can afford without realizing it can suddenly become so sophisticated.

Once again, making prudent and conservative financial decisions is trumped by doing whatever you feel like, let someone else eat the problems, nothing really bad happens and there are only nominal consequences, and you get to double up and do something else squirrely to get yourself out of it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Amazing how these financially naive people who got themselves into more house/loan than they can afford without realizing it can suddenly become so sophisticated.

Once again, making prudent and conservative financial decisions is trumped by doing whatever you feel like, let someone else eat the problems, nothing really bad happens and there are only nominal consequences, and you get to double up and do something else squirrely to get yourself out of it.
You'd be surprised at the reaction of people to simple incentives and prices, as many are seeing now in the oil/gasoline market in America, as all the major American automobile manufacturers start cutting back their larger pickup truck and SUV production numbers. More to this point though is that the same people who got themselves into too much house/loan in the first place may not have been that irrational in the first place. They, like many on here in a different way, were a lot more risk-tolerant and with the almost historic lows in mortgage rates, with the boom occurring in the real estate market, it is almost hard to argue with these people into NOT leveraging themselves as much as possible. If most of these people got into their house in 2002, instead of 2005, they may find that they are still up substantially, but then again the ARM might adjust. It seems that people who are in the situation know best how and when to react to their particular financial problems. If it is between living in a nice house or getting yours foreclosed, I'd be surprised if most of us hadn't come up with that idea in the first place.
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Thing is, you can be as risk tolerant as you like providing you never have to suffer the consequences.

Its not risk if theres only reward.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Its not risk if theres only reward.
The best kind of risk!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote