Join Early Retirement Today

Nervous, want to keep 2020 retirement plan. I am not objective, please comment?
Old 03-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Nervous, want to keep 2020 retirement plan. I am not objective, please comment?

I am 59.5 and divorced - and I have been planning to retire on May 31, 2020.

Retiring with just under $2M portfolio, a $12K/year pension, healthcare and Soc Sec earliest age 62 @ $24K year.

Approximate expenses in retirement: $80K/year (have no mortgage or debt, so some flexibility there)

Leading up to retirement, I had been locking in gains by moving money from my equity accounts to income accounts (within my 401k), so I am sitting on about 30/70 in this year of planned retirement. I had been planning to revisit this AA after retirement.

The events of the past couple weeks have unnerved me - vis a vis retiring in 2020.

Domestic Equity 23%

International Equity 8%

Bonds 47%

Cash 22%

= 100%

A quick glance at my accounts shows a loss of about $70K total in the past several days. This was money I did not have until the run up of the past several months..and I had been planning to retire anyway in 2020, regardless of this run up - it was just icing on the cake.

I really want to retire as planned ( I work in a difficult job and it's been impacting my health).

** I know that none of us knows which way the market is headed in the coming weeks and months **

I want to stay the course and not sell, but I also feel that delaying my retirement could be disastrous from a mental health standpoint.

So here's where I am:

(1) If I sell some of my equity position, I can lock in the value of my portfolio and I can still retire as planned and potentially have less capital working for me in the outer retirement years (that's not to say I can't buy back in later)....

(2) or I can bet that we have already hit a bottom and stay where I am and take my chances as to further losses and the evaporation of my retirement timing.

I know only I can make this decision, but it would be great if anyone here could point out anything I am missing in these scenarios - oh yes, that would be a tax bill for 2020, but at least in a lowered income year - and the gains are long.
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At 31% on a $2M portfolio, this means you have a $620K in equities. If the market loses 50% of its value from here, you would have $320K in equities, and about 1.7M net worth.

Assume (just for fun) that this happens, and then the market does 'normal' from there. You have 1.7M @ 4% = 68K per year plus 12K pension = 80K/year. If you needed to, you could take Social Security @ 62 which would increase the total to 104 K/year, most of which is inflation adjusted.

Seems like you are good to go.

p.s. I retired in May 2009 which was the last time everyone thought that the world was going to come to an end. I was at 56% equities which only that low because the market had fallen so much.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
gone traveling

If I had a $2M portfolio AND a $12k pension, I would not let the door hit me.....
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

but the $2M portfolio is dropping and many are predicting troubled times ahead...that is the point.

I am not seeking for someone to make any decisions for me (as I stated in the original post)...but I do see value in various thoughts and opinions.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #5

Hmm. What would I do? If my job was impacting my health and I was in your situation I would leave the assets where they are and retire as planned. Of course as everyone knows, the decision is yours and yours alone.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You have 69% of two million in cash and bonds? That will cover over 17 years of spending without touching any equities, not counting your pension and SS!

Relax and follow time honored project management saying: Plan the work and work the plan. Your plan is done, now follow it and enjoy life.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

You've done well, and your portfolio is very defensive. You're fixed.

The market will be back at some point very soon.

Go for the planned retirement date. You'll be sorry if you put it off one more day.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:54 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Did some back of the envelope calculation.
22% cash = $440K

Expenses = 80K, and you will get a pension of 12K so burn rate = $68K
In 2 years your cash balance will be $440 - 68*2 = $304K (assuming you take $ from cash balance)

Since you plan to get SS, your burn rate becomes even better in 2 years 68-24 = $44k/yr.
I would expect markets to have recovered in 2 years (yea - I know, no one knows for sure).

So you still have 1.56M in your equity and 0.3M in cash. you should run that in Firecalc, I would expect a high success rate.
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #9

I think you are ok to go with your plan, if you are flexible with your spending. Out of the 80k expenses, how much is discretionary vs essentials?

You say you are divorced, however any kid expenses that can increase your budget? Any large planned purchases?

If you feel it will cause health issues, I say go with your plan to retire and just watch your spending, i.e. clip a few coupons, look for sales, etc.
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I was divorced when I retired, too (still am!), back in 2009 when the market was pretty low. I didn't know if the recession was over or if the market was still on its way down so that was kind of scary. I was 61 when I retired so I knew I could get Social Security at 62 if I needed to do that, even though my plans were to wait until age 70 for SS (which I ended up doing).

I think divorced or single people have one HUGE advantage in your situation, and that is, that we can cut back on spending pretty severely if necessary without having to negotiate the changes in spending with a spouse.

I like your asset allocation a lot, for retirement. Mine is very similar. I would stick with that AA if it was me.

I was a federal employee, and others in my agency who worked in the DC area told me how much it costs to live there, so I understand your concerns completely if you are in that part of northern Virginia. I retired on much less, but then I live in a medium cost of living area. I had a paid off home, no dependents, and no loans to pay off.

Retirement has been a dream come true for me, so I would urge you to retire if you think it is possible.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are the same age. I ER'd almost six years ago with a portfolio smaller than yours (70/30) and no pension or health care provided. I'll most likely start SS at 62 for roughly $24K a year.

My spending has been both above ($107K) and below ($38K) your projected amount each of the last six years, and my portfolio is still larger today than it was the day I stopped working in 2014.

If I were in the same position as you, I'd quit on Monday.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:07 AM   #12

So if I read your numbers right, your portfolio is about $450k in cash? That is a big bucket. Covers many years of your expenses, so you could ride a cash train after you retire if needed to ride this drop out. And I do know that once I mentally picked my date, no drop was going to keep me from doing it. I told my wife "I'll live in a van down by the river if I have to". FIRE'd 3 years now.....
Old 03-01-2020, 10:14 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I was raised by low income, spendthrift parents and money was a constant stress factor - and we ended up losing our home to foreclosure when I was a kid....Obviously, even as a middle aged adult, I still carry an abundance of fear around with me.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #14

That $2M portfolio should be generating something in the way of passive income.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyOne View Post
I was raised by low income, spendthrift parents and money was a constant stress factor - and we ended up losing our home to foreclosure when I was a kid....Obviously, even as a middle aged adult, I still carry an abundance of fear around with me.
Then adjust your portfolio accordingly. Use a bucket approach or invest to produce an income stream, implement a rising equity glide path or build a bond ladder. Find a passive income source. There are so many ways to remove “scary” from investing.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

You have the preretirement jitters, I did too. Actually I shook the first year, I knew the market would crash the day after I left my job. I'm watching a former co-w*rker do the same. It is optional.

You have enough assets to do nothing, if you have an issue with money, most are going to be clobbered. You have enough cash to comfortably ride out any know type of issues. I'm talking like armageddon scenarios! Chill, take a few big deep breaths and let go. Have you ever done deep breathing exercises? They're very good and helped my anxiety over "losing a paycheck". What I lost was a great big PIA and threat to my health, yours too.

Now this is a great test. Seize the opportunity to realize you are ok financially. I spoke to my Vanguard rep the other day on a regularly scheduled meeting. He mentioned two things that were helpful: He said in the last 11 similar events the market has recovered 9 of 11 times within 6 months. The other was if you are not sleeping well because of the recent downturn your asset allocation was wrong. I don't think your AA is wrong, I think you are nervous. Best wishes.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1

I spoke to my Vanguard rep the other day on a regularly scheduled meeting. He mentioned two things that were helpful: He said in the last 11 similar events the market has recovered 9 of 11 times within 6 months.
Here’s an interesting article on that point:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/27/heres-how-long-stock-market-corrections-last-and-how-bad-they-can-get.html
WyomingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
but the $2M portfolio is dropping and many are predicting troubled times ahead...that is the point.

I am not seeking for someone to make any decisions for me (as I stated in the original post)...but I do see value in various thoughts and opinions.

Not only are you good to go, you’ve made some savvy moves to reduce equity exposure leading up to your planned retirement. With your heavy cash allocation you can wait several years for the equities to recover from whatever the bottom turns out to be. You can also probably afford to cash out now if and only if the risk keeps you up at night. It seems like retiring as planned from a difficult job is most important of all. Congrats on a job well done.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Finances look good to go but not sure mentally.

If my health was impacted and I had 30x expenses (2000K/68K), I would be retiring.

But that's me.
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

At your age and those numbers I would feel safe retiring. Especially since you are so cash/bond rich.
lordjust is offline   Reply With Quote