Net worth 30-40 year olds

These net worth threads really have very little meaning unless someone wants to give you their entire life story.

If you have someone who is 39 and someone who is 32...and they both have $1,000,000...you would think the 32 year olds NW is more impressive. But if the 32 year old has been making $200,000 since late 20's and the 39 year old is only making $50,000...now the 39 year old reaching 1MM is much more impressive. The 39 year old is making 4x less...yet was able to reach that mark...just sayin.

These net worth threads really have very little meaning unless someone wants to give you their entire life story.

If you have someone who is 39 and someone who is 32...and they both have $1,000,000...you would think the 32 year olds NW is more impressive. But if the 32 year old has been making $200,000 since late 20's and the 39 year old is only making $50,000...now the 39 year old reaching 1MM is much more impressive. The 39 year old is making 4x less...yet was able to reach that mark...just sayin.

What if the 32 year old was only averaging 45k per year and saved most of what he made and when economy was down he was putting 25% plus company match in his retirement . Everyone is unique and handles Monet differently but I understand your point. Btw i was that 32 year old

What is the point of these wiener comparison threads?

When I was 30 I didn't have two nickels to rub together but still managed to bail out of the rat race at 55.

The point is to kinda get an idea of how we are doing. You sound pessimistic but to some of us it's motivational. I plan on getting to I mil and then start giving money away to people who truly need it to survive.

37ish, hovering somewhat north of $800k since a few years. Quit the day job in 2012, reduced/stopped accumulating since.

Focus is on fun now, now trying to set up a new venture (I swear, last one I'll try ..).

36. Between DW and me, we have $1.8 million or so. Paid off $150k+ house plus $1.7 million invested mostly in equities.

Because of the divorce and then buying a house, at 35 I was up to my eyeballs in debt. Fifteen years later it was all paid off and we had about $30k in savings and I think $95K in a 457 account, and DW had about $68k in a TSP. We feel fortunate to have the COLA'd pension plan that is virtually extinct by now.

Last edited:
I went back to grad school at 27, which consumed all of our savings up to that point. So we basically started over at 29 with zero savings, a large mortgage, two car notes, and two young kids. At 35, our NW was positive, but not by much. Then, a few years later, we got whacked in the dot-com disaster. It was pretty bleak for a while. But it came back fast and I started accumulating options and bonuses, while we kept our lifestyle more-or-less the same. Despite the global financial crisis in 2008, I retired at 52 in 2013, when NW hit 30X our annual spend.

I went back to grad school at 27, which consumed all of our savings up to that point. So we basically started over at 29 with zero savings, a large mortgage, two car notes, and two young kids. At 35, our NW was positive, but not by much. Then, a few years later, we got whacked in the dot-com disaster. It was pretty bleak for a while. But it came back fast and I started accumulating options and bonuses, while we kept our lifestyle more-or-less the same. Despite the global financial crisis in 2008, I retired at 52 in 2013, when NW hit 30X our annual spend.

Wow perseverance man, good to hear and congrats on the retirement

Wife and I are both 36. We didn't start saving for retirement until our late 20's. She also quit her job to stay home with the kids in 2010 and will go back some time next year. Right now we are sitting at ~$250k in retirement/investment accounts and have around $100k in equity in our house (owe $80k more). So, $350k at 36. I make very low 6 figures and we put away around $40k/year. Once she starts working that should double and we're hoping to retire before 50.

I can't believe some of the figures on here. We're doing extremely well compared to a lot of the people I work with and are friends with. You guys are on a totally different level! Good job!

Wife and I are both 36. We didn't start saving for retirement until our late 20's. She also quit her job to stay home with the kids in 2010 and will go back some time next year. Right now we are sitting at ~$250k in retirement/investment accounts and have around $100k in equity in our house (owe $80k more). So, $350k at 36. I make very low 6 figures and we put away around $40k/year. Once she starts working that should double and we're hoping to retire before 50.

I can't believe some of the figures on here. We're doing extremely well compared to a lot of the people I work with and are friends with. You guys are on a totally different level! Good job!

Yep the people we work with are high earners but even higher spenders.

I'm 37 and have ~10X expenses. That's more important than the dollar amount.

at 35, I had $600k in NW, now at 45 I have $1.25M. However, that included my home which skews all the metrics.

At 35, I had $300K in investable assets, plus Pension valued at $70k, and a home in Chicago. Fast forward 10 years, I have $1.18M in investable assets, Pension is now an annuity paying me monthly, my home I took a complete bath on as the Chicago Market still hasn't recovered, but got out and bought a small townhome rightsizing my cash flow.

at 35, I had $600k in NW, now at 45 I have $1.25M. However, that included my home which skews all the metrics.

At 35, I had $300K in investable assets, plus Pension valued at $70k, and a home in Chicago. Fast forward 10 years, I have $1.18M in investable assets, Pension is now an annuity paying me monthly, my home I took a complete bath on as the Chicago Market still hasn't recovered, but got out and bought a small townhome rightsizing my cash flow.

Success!!!

Back
Top Bottom