Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Cobra9777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,382
I went back to grad school at 27, which consumed all of our savings up to that point. So we basically started over at 29 with zero savings, a large mortgage, two car notes, and two young kids. At 35, our NW was positive, but not by much. Then, a few years later, we got whacked in the dot-com disaster. It was pretty bleak for a while. But it came back fast and I started accumulating options and bonuses, while we kept our lifestyle more-or-less the same. Despite the global financial crisis in 2008, I retired at 52 in 2013, when NW hit 30X our annual spend.
__________________
Retired at 52 in July 2013. On to better things...
AA: 55% stock, 15% real estate, 27% bonds, 3% cash
WR: 2.7% SI: 2 pensions, some rental income, SS later
Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I went back to grad school at 27, which consumed all of our savings up to that point. So we basically started over at 29 with zero savings, a large mortgage, two car notes, and two young kids. At 35, our NW was positive, but not by much. Then, a few years later, we got whacked in the dot-com disaster. It was pretty bleak for a while. But it came back fast and I started accumulating options and bonuses, while we kept our lifestyle more-or-less the same. Despite the global financial crisis in 2008, I retired at 52 in 2013, when NW hit 30X our annual spend.


Wow perseverance man, good to hear and congrats on the retirement
ndnguy822000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 35
Wife and I are both 36. We didn't start saving for retirement until our late 20's. She also quit her job to stay home with the kids in 2010 and will go back some time next year. Right now we are sitting at ~$250k in retirement/investment accounts and have around $100k in equity in our house (owe $80k more). So, $350k at 36. I make very low 6 figures and we put away around $40k/year. Once she starts working that should double and we're hoping to retire before 50.

I can't believe some of the figures on here. We're doing extremely well compared to a lot of the people I work with and are friends with. You guys are on a totally different level! Good job!
sirsavesalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsavesalot View Post
Wife and I are both 36. We didn't start saving for retirement until our late 20's. She also quit her job to stay home with the kids in 2010 and will go back some time next year. Right now we are sitting at ~$250k in retirement/investment accounts and have around $100k in equity in our house (owe $80k more). So, $350k at 36. I make very low 6 figures and we put away around $40k/year. Once she starts working that should double and we're hoping to retire before 50.

I can't believe some of the figures on here. We're doing extremely well compared to a lot of the people I work with and are friends with. You guys are on a totally different level! Good job!


Yep the people we work with are high earners but even higher spenders.
ndnguy822000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehairfella View Post
I'm 34, wife is 32. Combined net worth is $895k today. $250k of that is in a paid off house.


Nice work sir
ndnguy822000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
40 here, NW ~400k not including the $21k/year COLA'd "pension" I receive. Plan is to get that over $1M in the next 5-7 years and then retire. Living paycheck to paycheck in my 20's put a big damper on my net worth growth...

You might find this calculator interesting https://dqydj.com/net-worth-by-age-c...united-states/
Why the "" around "pension"? That is a very good pension for a 40 year old to collect for 40+ years.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,134
I'm 37 and have ~10X expenses. That's more important than the dollar amount.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,026
at 35, I had $600k in NW, now at 45 I have $1.25M. However, that included my home which skews all the metrics.

At 35, I had $300K in investable assets, plus Pension valued at $70k, and a home in Chicago. Fast forward 10 years, I have $1.18M in investable assets, Pension is now an annuity paying me monthly, my home I took a complete bath on as the Chicago Market still hasn't recovered, but got out and bought a small townhome rightsizing my cash flow.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:40 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
exnavynuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Acworth
Posts: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Why the "" around "pension"? That is a very good pension for a 40 year old to collect for 40+ years.
VA disability seems different than a pension to me, though financially it's pretty much the same.
exnavynuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
at 35, I had $600k in NW, now at 45 I have $1.25M. However, that included my home which skews all the metrics.

At 35, I had $300K in investable assets, plus Pension valued at $70k, and a home in Chicago. Fast forward 10 years, I have $1.18M in investable assets, Pension is now an annuity paying me monthly, my home I took a complete bath on as the Chicago Market still hasn't recovered, but got out and bought a small townhome rightsizing my cash flow.


Success!!!
ndnguy822000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Why the "" around "pension"? That is a very good pension for a 40 year old to collect for 40+ years.
I agree
ndnguy822000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 873
At 37, DH and I had a net worth of about -$50,000. Fast forward to 2015. NW was around $1,000,000 with no debt. FF to 2017 No debt and NW around 1,200,000. Retired full time in 2015. We are truly blessed.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,047
At age 35 (1993) we had a NW of $42,346 including home equity. We felt good about it at the time.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hangzhou
Posts: 15
Best I can reckon, at 35 I had about $100K, had been laid off.
Then I got married and moved to Maine to start a new job.
At 40 we had $1,300,000 NW. (324,000 in Retirement accounts, 400,000 in Real Estate). Moved to China, started our own business.
At 48, my wife and I have NW ~ $2,000,000.
We lost some value in Real Estate during the drop, as low rents and high mortgages forced us to unload some. Our Maine house though, had an ARM that lowered significantly after the 5 year fixed period.
Also our Retirement Accounts didn't do well until we woke up and unloaded all the legacy funds from our company 401Ks and converted into no-load index funds.
JG in Hangzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #55
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hangzhou
Posts: 15
On a side note, I just had a visit from my Sister in law and her husband, who are teachers, in their late 50's and about to retire.
They have 100,000 in retirement savings but have combined pensions of about 90,000/year when they retire 2 years from now.
So basically they have to live on about 45,000 as the pension doesn't adjust with inflation.
What's this equate to in NW?
JG in Hangzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
What is the point of these wiener comparison threads?
To see who wins, of course!

We should have a pension and benefits brag thread.
zesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm 37 and have ~10X expenses. That's more important than the dollar amount.
Agreed. I'm right around 10x now as well, shooting for 30x.
zesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:31 AM   #58
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Hangzhou
Posts: 15
How do you measure success?
The shortest man says I'm taller than I need to be.
The tallest man says I'm the tallest.
The middle man says I'm tall enough to see over the dashboard but still don't bang my head on the roof.
JG in Hangzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North TX
Posts: 794
At 35, we were about half of where you are. Our next 10 were way better financially...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG in Hangzhou View Post
How do you measure success?
The shortest man says I'm taller than I need to be.
The tallest man says I'm the tallest.
The middle man says I'm tall enough to see over the dashboard but still don't bang my head on the roof.


So how do YOU define success ?
ndnguy822000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are 25-35 year olds feeling discouraged yet? soupcxan Young Dreamers 85 06-12-2009 11:10 PM
1 Of 2 93-Year-Olds Charged In Manatee County Sex Sting Wags Other topics 18 03-28-2008 06:23 PM
OK, How Many 5 Year Olds Could You Take In A Fight poboy Other topics 24 12-25-2007 08:45 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:45 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.