Net worth 30-40 year olds

At 37, DH and I had a net worth of about -$50,000. Fast forward to 2015. NW was around $1,000,000 with no debt. FF to 2017 No debt and NW around 1,200,000. Retired full time in 2015. We are truly blessed.

At age 35 (1993) we had a NW of $42,346 including home equity. We felt good about it at the time.

Best I can reckon, at 35 I had about $100K, had been laid off.
Then I got married and moved to Maine to start a new job.
At 40 we had $1,300,000 NW. (324,000 in Retirement accounts, 400,000 in Real Estate). Moved to China, started our own business.
At 48, my wife and I have NW ~ $2,000,000.
We lost some value in Real Estate during the drop, as low rents and high mortgages forced us to unload some. Our Maine house though, had an ARM that lowered significantly after the 5 year fixed period.
Also our Retirement Accounts didn't do well until we woke up and unloaded all the legacy funds from our company 401Ks and converted into no-load index funds.

On a side note, I just had a visit from my Sister in law and her husband, who are teachers, in their late 50's and about to retire.
They have 100,000 in retirement savings but have combined pensions of about 90,000/year when they retire 2 years from now.
So basically they have to live on about 45,000 as the pension doesn't adjust with inflation.
What's this equate to in NW?

How do you measure success?
The shortest man says I'm taller than I need to be.
The tallest man says I'm the tallest.
The middle man says I'm tall enough to see over the dashboard but still don't bang my head on the roof.

At 35, we were about half of where you are. Our next 10 were way better financially...

How do you measure success?
The shortest man says I'm taller than I need to be.
The tallest man says I'm the tallest.
The middle man says I'm tall enough to see over the dashboard but still don't bang my head on the roof.

So how do YOU define success ?

+1....+1..... +1...... come on... you know whether or not you are a good steward of your money... :facepalm:

You may know but I don't , kind of the reason most of us are on forums like this to get ideas about how well or how bad we are doing financially speaking .

I don't discuss net worth, but its negative at this point. Owe more money on notes than I have in retirement. But if you include the equity the needle moves positive :cool:

I would say > 500k net worth at this pt but it sure does seem to be climbing quick in my mid 30s. I made a line graph and the increase is much sharper in past few years than it ever has been. Should double in less than 3yrs.

Some peers on my street aren't doing half as good as I...I know as I have been helping them with some investing decisions. Then there are folks who are doing way better than me. But I already have a pretty sweet life and money wouldn't enhance it too much without adding some level of risk ..traveling more, buying unsafe fast cars, attracting the wrong people ;)

I'm 35 and DW is 34, we have a total NW of 1.575m, of that about $100k is primary residence equity. I've been a small business owner for 10 years. I'm not including any business assets or business valuation in our net worth (probably around 5m). We are both relatively frugal and we (I) have been very intentional in maxing out our savings ever since college. Lifestyle inflation is starting to creep its ugly head so trying to figure that out.

What is your net worth for persons in their 30-40? I am 35 and have about 155k in a 401k, 19k in a Roth, 420k in real estate and a few cars worth about 25k. Overall probably around 550k total net worth.

I just turned 41. I have around $400k in investments and 16 years in a state gov pension. I make around $65k and spend around $30k per year. Single, no kids, renter.

At some point (probably at 45 once I have 20 years in pension) I will switch to an IT telecommuting job, probably part-time or freelance. I would like to do some cheap traveling then, in US and expat.

Last edited:
Because of the divorce and then buying a house, at 35 I was up to my eyeballs in debt. Fifteen years later it was all paid off and we had about $30k in savings and I think $95K in a 457 account, and DW had about $68k in a TSP. We feel fortunate to have the COLA'd pension plan that is virtually extinct by now.

My pension has a 3% per year COLA. My state is one of the few that runs the pension plan very well. Its because everyone in the state uses the same pension system, including the politicians...

I don't discuss net worth, but its negative at this point. Owe more money on notes than I have in retirement. But if you include the equity the needle moves positive :cool:

I would say > 500k net worth at this pt but it sure does seem to be climbing quick in my mid 30s. I made a line graph and the increase is much sharper in past few years than it ever has been. Should double in less than 3yrs.

Some peers on my street aren't doing half as good as I...I know as I have been helping them with some investing decisions. Then there are folks who are doing way better than me. But I already have a pretty sweet life and money wouldn't enhance it too much without adding some level of risk ..traveling more, buying unsafe fast cars, attracting the wrong people ;)

Good to hear sir

You may know but I don't , kind of the reason most of us are on forums like this to get ideas about how well or how bad we are doing financially speaking .

Actually, I agree that it's a good idea to do a sanity check to see if your idea of high, medium or low is comparable to others.

However, sometimes you are the only sane one in the crowd. I like this forum as it seems people have put more thought into what's needed to plan and execute a financially well managed retirement. But even then, the ideas of what is needed for a comfortable retirement and what financial obligations people feel responsible to meet, are all different.

People have a tendency to either reassure themselves that they have enough and see that validated by running calculations, or they have a tendency to worry a lot and see that validated by examples around them.

In the end we can only decide how much effort we are willing to spend to try to mitigate the risk of failure, knowing that we can never get to 0.

Find a lifestyle you enjoy living, make sure you earn more than you spend.
Save as much as you can without being miserable and save it wisely.
Find the courage to manage your own money, your own career and your own life. Make sure that you find a raison d'etre when leave your career, even if it is just to enjoy your family and health.

I just turned 41. I have around $400k in investments and 16 years in a state gov pension. I make around $65k and spend around $30k per year. Single, no kids, renter.

At some point (probably at 45 once I have 20 years in pension) I will switch to an IT telecommuting job, probably part-time or freelance. I would like to do some cheap traveling then, in US and expat.

Sounds like a good plan , I want to be at a point where I WANT to work not because I HAVE to. I love my job but I would , like many, sleep better knowing I will survive with or without a job

Actually, I agree that it's a good idea to do a sanity check to see if your idea of high, medium or low is comparable to others.

However, sometimes you are the only sane one in the crowd. I like this forum as it seems people have put more thought into what's needed to plan and execute a financially well managed retirement. But even then, the ideas of what is needed for a comfortable retirement and what financial obligations people feel responsible to meet, are all different.

People have a tendency to either reassure themselves that they have enough and see that validated by running calculations, or they have a tendency to worry a lot and see that validated by examples around them.

In the end we can only decide how much effort we are willing to spend to try to mitigate the risk of failure, knowing that we can never get to 0.

Find a lifestyle you enjoy living, make sure you earn more than you spend.
Save as much as you can without being miserable and save it wisely.
Find the courage to manage your own money, your own career and your own life. Make sure that you find a raison d'etre when leave your career, even if it is just to enjoy your family and health.

Thoughtful words for sure, I agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly. I want to have enough to support my family and also my parents , they labored for 25 years and only have 1400 a month combined of SS. I need to know that when the time comes I can take care of them. I come from India so it's not just a tradition but an obligation for me to make sure they are independent , with my financial help of course. Folks worked 2 jobs to take care of us and worked in the fields so I want to ensure I can support them and myself.

Last edited:
Not sure why I feel compelled to contribute to this thread, but I have been comparing where I was in NW from 10 years ago at 35-36 yrs. I was pretty proud of myself since I have been military most of my life with no match and a Roth IRA. So 10 years ago, I had $100,000 net worth, not including my rental income. Now, I have about $500,000 and $70,000 equity in my rental. I can't wait to see where I will be 5 and 10 years from now.

What do you do now since you quit your day job ? What type of business ?

Computer programmer, building my own websites for fun and profit. No boss. No clients. I could retire now, but websites still bring in 6 figures a year.

Not sure why I feel compelled to contribute to this thread, but I have been comparing where I was in NW from 10 years ago at 35-36 yrs. I was pretty proud of myself since I have been military most of my life with no match and a Roth IRA. So 10 years ago, I had $100,000 net worth, not including my rental income. Now, I have about $500,000 and $70,000 equity in my rental. I can't wait to see where I will be 5 and 10 years from now.

Well thank you for being compelled to comment, your story is the reason I enjoy forums like this and it's motivational for me. Thanks a bunch

You're doing great relative to your peers.

I'm 39, DW is 36. When I was 35, our NW was about the same as yours. In the nearly five years since then, it's almost tripled because we got even more serious about saving (for a few years prior to the birth of DD, we were saving/investing in excess of 50% of our net income) and the market has done nothing but run up.

As a function of expenses, we're at about 10x expenses in invested assets, which is the most important number.

Back
Top Bottom