Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
What is the point of these wiener comparison threads?
+1....+1..... +1...... come on... you know whether or not you are a good steward of your money...
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
+1....+1..... +1...... come on... you know whether or not you are a good steward of your money...

You may know but I don't , kind of the reason most of us are on forums like this to get ideas about how well or how bad we are doing financially speaking .
ndnguy822000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:18 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't discuss net worth, but its negative at this point. Owe more money on notes than I have in retirement. But if you include the equity the needle moves positive

I would say > 500k net worth at this pt but it sure does seem to be climbing quick in my mid 30s. I made a line graph and the increase is much sharper in past few years than it ever has been. Should double in less than 3yrs.

Some peers on my street aren't doing half as good as I...I know as I have been helping them with some investing decisions. Then there are folks who are doing way better than me. But I already have a pretty sweet life and money wouldn't enhance it too much without adding some level of risk ..traveling more, buying unsafe fast cars, attracting the wrong people

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 35 and DW is 34, we have a total NW of 1.575m, of that about $100k is primary residence equity. I've been a small business owner for 10 years. I'm not including any business assets or business valuation in our net worth (probably around 5m). We are both relatively frugal and we (I) have been very intentional in maxing out our savings ever since college. Lifestyle inflation is starting to creep its ugly head so trying to figure that out.
YeahNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnguy822000 View Post
What is your net worth for persons in their 30-40? I am 35 and have about 155k in a 401k, 19k in a Roth, 420k in real estate and a few cars worth about 25k. Overall probably around 550k total net worth.

I just turned 41. I have around $400k in investments and 16 years in a state gov pension. I make around $65k and spend around $30k per year. Single, no kids, renter.

At some point (probably at 45 once I have 20 years in pension) I will switch to an IT telecommuting job, probably part-time or freelance. I would like to do some cheap traveling then, in US and expat.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Because of the divorce and then buying a house, at 35 I was up to my eyeballs in debt. Fifteen years later it was all paid off and we had about $30k in savings and I think $95K in a 457 account, and DW had about $68k in a TSP. We feel fortunate to have the COLA'd pension plan that is virtually extinct by now.

My pension has a 3% per year COLA. My state is one of the few that runs the pension plan very well. Its because everyone in the state uses the same pension system, including the politicians...
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I don't discuss net worth, but its negative at this point. Owe more money on notes than I have in retirement. But if you include the equity the needle moves positive

I would say > 500k net worth at this pt but it sure does seem to be climbing quick in my mid 30s. I made a line graph and the increase is much sharper in past few years than it ever has been. Should double in less than 3yrs.

Some peers on my street aren't doing half as good as I...I know as I have been helping them with some investing decisions. Then there are folks who are doing way better than me. But I already have a pretty sweet life and money wouldn't enhance it too much without adding some level of risk ..traveling more, buying unsafe fast cars, attracting the wrong people

Good to hear sir
Old 05-17-2017, 10:59 PM   #68
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
You may know but I don't , kind of the reason most of us are on forums like this to get ideas about how well or how bad we are doing financially speaking .
Actually, I agree that it's a good idea to do a sanity check to see if your idea of high, medium or low is comparable to others.

However, sometimes you are the only sane one in the crowd. I like this forum as it seems people have put more thought into what's needed to plan and execute a financially well managed retirement. But even then, the ideas of what is needed for a comfortable retirement and what financial obligations people feel responsible to meet, are all different.

People have a tendency to either reassure themselves that they have enough and see that validated by running calculations, or they have a tendency to worry a lot and see that validated by examples around them.

In the end we can only decide how much effort we are willing to spend to try to mitigate the risk of failure, knowing that we can never get to 0.

Find a lifestyle you enjoy living, make sure you earn more than you spend.
Save as much as you can without being miserable and save it wisely.
Find the courage to manage your own money, your own career and your own life. Make sure that you find a raison d'etre when leave your career, even if it is just to enjoy your family and health.
JG in Hangzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:20 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
I just turned 41. I have around $400k in investments and 16 years in a state gov pension. I make around $65k and spend around $30k per year. Single, no kids, renter.

At some point (probably at 45 once I have 20 years in pension) I will switch to an IT telecommuting job, probably part-time or freelance. I would like to do some cheap traveling then, in US and expat.

Sounds like a good plan , I want to be at a point where I WANT to work not because I HAVE to. I love my job but I would , like many, sleep better knowing I will survive with or without a job
Net worth 30-40 year olds
Old 05-17-2017, 11:25 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Net worth 30-40 year olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG in Hangzhou View Post
Actually, I agree that it's a good idea to do a sanity check to see if your idea of high, medium or low is comparable to others.

However, sometimes you are the only sane one in the crowd. I like this forum as it seems people have put more thought into what's needed to plan and execute a financially well managed retirement. But even then, the ideas of what is needed for a comfortable retirement and what financial obligations people feel responsible to meet, are all different.

People have a tendency to either reassure themselves that they have enough and see that validated by running calculations, or they have a tendency to worry a lot and see that validated by examples around them.

In the end we can only decide how much effort we are willing to spend to try to mitigate the risk of failure, knowing that we can never get to 0.

Find a lifestyle you enjoy living, make sure you earn more than you spend.
Save as much as you can without being miserable and save it wisely.
Find the courage to manage your own money, your own career and your own life. Make sure that you find a raison d'etre when leave your career, even if it is just to enjoy your family and health.

Thoughtful words for sure, I agree with your sentiment wholeheartedly. I want to have enough to support my family and also my parents , they labored for 25 years and only have 1400 a month combined of SS. I need to know that when the time comes I can take care of them. I come from India so it's not just a tradition but an obligation for me to make sure they are independent , with my financial help of course. Folks worked 2 jobs to take care of us and worked in the fields so I want to ensure I can support them and myself.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure why I feel compelled to contribute to this thread, but I have been comparing where I was in NW from 10 years ago at 35-36 yrs. I was pretty proud of myself since I have been military most of my life with no match and a Roth IRA. So 10 years ago, I had $100,000 net worth, not including my rental income. Now, I have about $500,000 and $70,000 equity in my rental. I can't wait to see where I will be 5 and 10 years from now.
Neecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
What do you do now since you quit your day job ? What type of business ?
Computer programmer, building my own websites for fun and profit. No boss. No clients. I could retire now, but websites still bring in 6 figures a year.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Computer programmer, building my own websites for fun and profit. No boss. No clients. I could retire now, but websites still bring in 6 figures a year.

Respect !!!!
Old 05-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neecy View Post
Not sure why I feel compelled to contribute to this thread, but I have been comparing where I was in NW from 10 years ago at 35-36 yrs. I was pretty proud of myself since I have been military most of my life with no match and a Roth IRA. So 10 years ago, I had $100,000 net worth, not including my rental income. Now, I have about $500,000 and $70,000 equity in my rental. I can't wait to see where I will be 5 and 10 years from now.

Well thank you for being compelled to comment, your story is the reason I enjoy forums like this and it's motivational for me. Thanks a bunch
Old 05-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #75

You're doing great relative to your peers.

I'm 39, DW is 36. When I was 35, our NW was about the same as yours. In the nearly five years since then, it's almost tripled because we got even more serious about saving (for a few years prior to the birth of DD, we were saving/investing in excess of 50% of our net income) and the market has done nothing but run up.

As a function of expenses, we're at about 10x expenses in invested assets, which is the most important number.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
You're doing great relative to your peers.

I'm 39, DW is 36. When I was 35, our NW was about the same as yours. In the nearly five years since then, it's almost tripled because we got even more serious about saving (for a few years prior to the birth of DD, we were saving/investing in excess of 50% of our net income) and the market has done nothing but run up.

As a function of expenses, we're at about 10x expenses in invested assets, which is the most important number.

Nice work ,
Old 05-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #77

I'm 40 and she's 44.

Net Worth - $1.53mln
Retirement Accounts - $1mln
Brokerage/Savings Accounts - $225k
Jewelry/Cars - $100k
Home Equity - $200k
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
I have a freelance webDev business, although my clients have always only been mom and pop shops who are starting out with little to no capital.

I've had great success watching these businesses grow, but little making actual monay lol.

Rhey never want to build out the website in the beginning with limited capital, and once they make it they just hire a large firm to build them something all new.

I was great at making business relationships, just never with businesses that could pay me much. Probably earned maybe $10,000 over the course of 7years doing webDev freelance.

What was your secret sauce to scale to $100k annually?

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokrken View Post
I'm 40 and she's 44.

Net Worth - $1.53mln
Retirement Accounts - $1mln
Brokerage/Savings Accounts - $225k
Jewelry/Cars - $100k
Home Equity - $200k

Impressive sir
Old 05-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

I turn 33 this year. My wife just turned 31 ... I've been a small bus owner for about 10 years, wife is a SAHM and Photographer.

Numbers are as of end of April 2017.
* Networth: $2.509M (Includes no business equity or cash at all)
* Real Estate: $1.074 (Includes Land/Lots, Rental, and Primary)
* Retirement/Brokerage Accts: $562k
* Cash: $447k
* Misc Assets: $275k
* Debt: None
DROPOUT is offline   Reply With Quote