Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2021, 11:23 AM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One thing I like about reading these is finding I only cracked the 80% earning threshold 4 times in my career, but my net worth is over 90%
Makes me feel I'm doing something right.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2021, 12:00 PM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
One thing I like about reading these is finding I only cracked the 80% earning threshold 4 times in my career, but my net worth is over 90%
Makes me feel I'm doing something right.
Very nice. I never made 30k a year until I was 41 years old. Retired at age 51. My net worth is in the top 12%.
Digger1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:01 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
Threads like this can have a profound societal impact. As an example, a list of 1%'s came in very handy during the French revolution.

Oui. What would Vanguard do with all our funds if their Flagship customers got the guillotine?
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:24 PM   #184
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Oui. What would Vanguard do with all our funds if their Flagship customers got the guillotine?

If that happened, institutions like Vanguard would be burnt to the ground, and the financial workers running for their life. There would be no more stocks or bonds, and that's that.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:53 AM   #185
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow never thought this thread would be so active. Interesting some of the reactions. In terms of the guillotine, I think some of the "masses" would sooner give us a handout, then chop off our heads, unless they saw our net worth, as we are definitely LBYM and look it despite being high up the net worth scale. Consider all those who lease cars and get a new one every 3 years. The combined age of our 2 cars is 30 years. Like so many here, we have been diligent over the years, and that, not very high income, has brought us to where we are.
Maybe it is silly, but I have always found it interesting where we stack up, maybe even a bit of a goal of sorts. Also impressive how much wealth is out there.
firewhen is offline   Reply With Quote
We were friendly with our neighbors for decades, until recently.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:04 AM   #186
Recycles dryer sheets

We were friendly with our neighbors for decades, until recently.

Very appropriate article I just found:

One day, they introduced us to their financial adviser…We dug trenches, poured concrete foundations, and worked to build our house; they hired contractors. They traded in cars frequently; we ran ours into the ground

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/we...siteid=yhoof2#
firewhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:01 AM   #187
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

firewhen, that is a great article. thanks for posting.

We never had a problem like that as we were too busy with the day-to-day and staying afloat. We did not run with the popular crowds around us. In fact we probably seemed very boring to those with cash to spare.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewhen View Post
Very appropriate article I just found:

One day, they introduced us to their financial adviser…We dug trenches, poured concrete foundations, and worked to build our house; they hired contractors. They traded in cars frequently; we ran ours into the ground

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/we...siteid=yhoof2#

Interesting story but I’m pretty sure we’ve had no relationships like that, because we can smell condescension from a mile away and would have been turned off from the outset, and I surely hope we don’t behave that way with others.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:33 PM   #189
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
For some people it's a way of keeping score. For others, it's verification of their belief that some people have "too much".

I never earned enough to get anywhere near the top 1% but I don't begrudge anyone who was that successful. I know people in business that did well and have attracted some envy but those people were never there when they were working 80 hours a week and thankful that their spouse worked so that they could buy groceries and pay the utilities.

The envious only show up after all the years of hard work when success has been attained.
You missed one. In some cases it’s due to being insecure and learning to feel it’s ok to spend. It can serve as reassurance that you’re doing well enough you can relax and stop worrying about it. I still have trouble with this.
Joylush is offline   Reply With Quote