Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-14-2021, 11:16 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I thank the Lord for a military pension! I'm not a member of ANY of these!
Timeisprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2021, 11:23 AM   #22
Administrator

Here are links to the most recent version (2019) of the survey

Home page https://www.federalreserve.gov/econres/scfindex.htm
Executive summary https://www.federalreserve.gov/publi...iles/scf20.pdf

It is data rich and great for nerds stuck indoors during the winter looking for something new to keep themselves busy.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I would like to see those same stats broken out by state. The percentage of millionaires in NY or California is MUCH MUCH higher than Oklahoma or Kansas. It's almost meaningless when the HCOL/LCOL states are combined.
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:42 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I remember when 4% of the country was millionaires. I believe thats what the Millionaire Next Door said.
Mr. Tightwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewhen View Post
Looks like these levels rose, and this would be before the run up in stock prices last year. So being a millionaire now does not quite get you into the top 10%. Over 1% of the country are decamillionaires encompassing over 1 million households--lotta money out there!

Percentile Threshold Net Worth:

10% $ 1,219,126
2% $ 6,557,023
1% $11,099,166
0.1% $43,207,732

This data comes from the 2019 Survey of Consumer Finances from the Federal Reserve. (This is the newest data in late 2020). There are roughly 1,286,744 households in the top one percent or 1,762,143 workers. In the first quarter of 2020, the top 1% of households and nonprofit organizations held 31.2% of all net worth in the United States while the lower 50% of households and nonprofit organizations held 1.4%.
Thank for including the details such as year and by household. I didn’t realize the 2019 data was already available.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
It's difficult to believe that in a room of 100 people (different households) in my Midwest city, that two of them are worth more than $6Million with one of those having an 8 figure portfolio. But then again, I don't want to argue with the numbers.
I, too, find it hard to believe that here in my neighborhood of 150 houses (in the metro Atlanta suburbs) there are roughly 3 with a household net worth more than $6.5MM and one with a net worth greater than $11MM.

However, this is not a statistically valid way of looking at the data, since wealth is not evenly distributed among all neighborhoods/zip codes/cities in the U.S. It is, I would assume, heavily concentrated in and around large cities and financial/tech meccas such as Silicon Valley, NYC, Seattle, DC, etc. In certain zip codes in and around those places, far more than 2% of all households have net worths > $6.5MM. And conversely, in neighborhoods around, say, Detroit, there are likely far fewer of these multimillionaire households. So you can't apply these numbers precisely to your own neighborhood, or even your own city or state. I think it would be quite fascinating to see the NW percentiles broken out by city/county/state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
On the other hand, since nearly 12% of us are millionaires, the odds are good that you are in fact living next door to one!
For all the reasons listed above, you can't assume that. Unless, that is, you're living in an area that is on the higher end of the household NW scale, and even then it probably varies quite a bit from neighborhood to neighborhood.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:49 AM   #27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike40 View Post
I would like to see those same stats broken out by state. The percentage of millionaires in NY or California is MUCH MUCH higher than Oklahoma or Kansas. It's almost meaningless when the HCOL/LCOL states are combined.
According to this WSJ report, the percentage of millionaire households (more than $1M of investible assets) by state https://graphics.wsj.com/table/Millionaires_0207

California 6.3%, NY 6,15%, Oklahoma 4.98%, Kansas 5.43%.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:53 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

If you want some more related statistics, then check out this short report from the Tax Foundation:

https://taxfoundation.org/summary-of...a-2020-update/

A 12-page PDF is in the link above. Summary: Many people either do not pay Federal individual income taxes at all or hardly pay income taxes. Thus, the Federal government cannot give any tax breaks to anybody but the wealthy since they are really the only ones who pay Federal income taxes.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:05 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
I remember when 4% of the country was millionaires. I believe thats what the Millionaire Next Door said.
Maybe because you need about 40% more now to have the buying power of what a million was worth when the book was written. Or 1m today will only buy what ~600k would in 1996, when the book came out. So it should be somewhat easier to accumulate a million today....

1m ain't what it was. + or - but I'm sure you get the idea.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in the top 12% in net worth and I would imagine I might be in the top 1% in lowest yearly spending since I usually come in at under 15k in annual spending. Which is why I was able to retire at 51 four years ago.
Digger1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonvoyage View Post
I'd be willing to bet that many, if not most, of my neighbors here in northern New Jersey are in the 98th or higher percentile - we are in the 98th percentile in my household. Most of my neighbors work in fields like finance, software (me) or biotech (wife).
I'll take the bet. I worked with many high earners and watched them spend away their earnings on any variety of things - cars, boats, second homes, gucci bags, extravagant travel, kids to concerts, sports season tickets, etc., etc.. Nothing wrong with any of those things. Just saying, in my experience, many people I know with high earnings do not have high savings and would not be in 98th or higher.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:50 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

i haven't seen anyone mention whether these amounts are before taxes or after taxes. 1 million in a tIra is not the same as 1 million in an after tax brokerage account. with federal and state ( if applicable) taxes that 1 million tIRA may only be 5 or 600,00.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Who all remembers "The Millionaire" from the 50's or in reruns? John Beresford Tipton as a benefactor passing out 1 MILLION! dollars to unsuspecting normal folks each week. Wonder if that didn't spark my mooning about what seemed an impossible sum?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mi...ire_(TV_series)

Edit: Oh - and that was tax free, as JB Tipton had paid the taxes due before gifting the million.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:26 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
According to this WSJ report, the percentage of millionaire households (more than $1M of investible assets) by state https://graphics.wsj.com/table/Millionaires_0207

California 6.3%, NY 6,15%, Oklahoma 4.98%, Kansas 5.43%.
Interesting that Maryland, New Jersey and 7 other states have a higher % millionaires than California or New York. I was also guessing CA and NY would top the list.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
i haven't seen anyone mention whether these amounts are before taxes or after taxes. 1 million in a tIra is not the same as 1 million in an after tax brokerage account. with federal and state ( if applicable) taxes that 1 million tIRA may only be 5 or 600,00.
Probably more like 850 per million if retired and can stay in lower tax brackets and you only have a million or so in them.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
When I was growing up (50+ years ago), having a million seemed like a good target number.... At that time, I didn't know any millionaires but I knew some people who "I thought were rich" and seemed to live comfortable... So a million seemed like a good target.... Fast forward 50 years.... A million ain't what it was back then! Today (IMO) I feel you need at least 2 million "investible" to be in that same financial freedom boat and that's if you have no debt on top of that....That would be in the top ~5% according to the numbers above... And I still wouldn't call that wealthy... Comfortable yes, wealthy no... Again, IMO, YMMV....
I can't imagine what else I'd spend money on, if I had 2M investible. (psst...I don't)Years ago I feared dying old, alone, and broke, but life isn't turning out like that for me so far. Right now I have everything I could possibly need or want and in this market, that nest egg just keeps on growing.

Probably I should sign up for a "How to spend like a drunken sailor" class online. OK, the BTD thread is a good start. It's certainly educational!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:15 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's a far better way to look at it.
+2
Old 01-14-2021, 02:16 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mi...ire_(TV_series)

Edit: Oh - and that was tax free, as JB Tipton had paid the taxes due before gifting the million.
What a fool, he should've given $1M+, and have the recipients pay at their lower tax rate.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Interesting that Maryland, New Jersey and 7 other states have a higher % millionaires than California or New York. I was also guessing CA and NY would top the list.
Large northern portions of each state (CA/NY)has substantial less monies than their southern portion of the state members.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:27 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Probably I should sign up for a "How to spend like a drunken sailor" class online. OK, the BTD thread is a good start. It's certainly educational!
PM Robbie. He'll give you some ideas.

Our NW isn't very high. I'll take our 2 military pensions, tricare and eventually SS over a high net worth. When DW takes her SS at age 70(I'll be 76) our combined pensions(mil x2, SS x 2, VA dis and 1 FERS) will be close to 220K/yr. Guessing our current 600K next egg will be over 1 mil by then and our current 800k house should be worth over 1 mil by then (2042). Thinking about these first world problems hurts my head.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote