Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #161
Recycles dryer sheets

Is this total household net worth (married couple) or individual?
watchman3135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman3135 View Post
Is this total household net worth (married couple) or individual?
Net worth stats are invariably household. The census data certainly is.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:39 PM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Hard to believe 1 in 50 have that much net worth.
If you have a paid-for home in California or Hawaii you’re halfway there lol.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #164
Dryer sheet aficionado

Apologies if this has already been stated, but you get a whole other perspective on a world level. Here is a site to check your standing globally:

https://web.archive.org/web/20191229...ist.com/wealth

Like I have told my kids and a few employees - the difference between feeling blessed or distressed is who you choose to keep company with.
Ger0n1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:42 PM   #165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Mine was the Opel Manta Rally. (It was also a 1900 cc)

IIRC the car with the 1900 moniker (NOT Manta Rally) was the same basic drive train (but with a higher gearing in the differential.) The 1900 had the more traditional "boxy" design (more practical). Also IIRC SCCA had a class of "stock" racing in which the "boxy" 1900 qualified. Since the races were claiming races, no one worked TOO hard to be TOO good (IOW, you always cheated "fair" as the NASCAR boys used to say.) I could be wrong on all this, but mine looked like this:

https://germancarsforsaleblog.com/19...-manta-rallye/

You are correct about the 1900 vs Manta model designation for later years but In 72 the coupe was actually designated as 1900 Sport Coupe and Manta came later (per Wikipedia). Both cars I owned were the Manta body style but not the sporty Rally version which had higher numerical gearing for better acceleration. My brother had a Rallye. We had 5 Mantas including extended family. Really fun cars to drive. Sorry for the hijack!
Old 01-20-2021, 01:40 AM   #166

I have never understood the fascination about where one stands vis a vis others in the wealth game.

We only care about us. How much we need, how much we have, and what we want to do with our resources.

We could care less if we are in the top 1 percent, 2 percent, whatever. Does not make us feel good or bad.

Don't see the point of bothering with it, let alone what assets or annuitized cash flows to include in the number.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:38 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
That is my thought as well. I would be interested to see this data excluding the value of the primary residence. I also wonder about the distribution of these households given that the home value is included. Perhaps many of them are located in areas with very high property values? It's difficult to believe that in a room of 100 people (different households) in my Midwest city, that two of them are worth more than $6Million with one of those having an 8 figure portfolio. But then again, I don't want to argue with the numbers.

On the other hand, since nearly 12% of us are millionaires, the odds are good that you are in fact living next door to one!
Well, they or not evenly dispersed throughout the country. Concentrated on the coasts where you have higher home values generally and more tech millionaires.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:46 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I have never understood the fascination about where one stands vis a vis others in the wealth game.
For some people it's a way of keeping score. For others, it's verification of their belief that some people have "too much".

I never earned enough to get anywhere near the top 1% but I don't begrudge anyone who was that successful. I know people in business that did well and have attracted some envy but those people were never there when they were working 80 hours a week and thankful that their spouse worked so that they could buy groceries and pay the utilities.

The envious only show up after all the years of hard work when success has been attained.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #169

I think these are a good reminder of just how good many of us have it. After a few unexpectedly good years, we fall into one of those higher brackets, but I will never forget the feeling of having $20 left to make it a week to the next paycheck, or having a car that I used to sit in and pray for it to start so I wasn’t late for work. I’m just thankful I was young, healthy and child free when I was broke.

Understanding that you’re in the top X%, even if it doesn’t feel like it, is a good reminder to give back.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #170

Quote:
For me, it's just a measure of financial security. I don't look at it as a game or a race, or any kind of measure of human value. I just figure the further up the ranks I am, the less likely I am to run into some kind of hurdle that would leave me destitute. And I'm better able to ride out the peaks and valleys that come with financial boom-bust cycles.

But I never looked at is as "Oh, I'm better than this person", "that person is better than me" etc. It's just one of those numbers that I look at it and think, "Oh, cool" and then move on with my life.

Actually, one of my more common thoughts tends to be "Meh, somehow I thought it would be more exciting". Anyway, as long as I'm financially comfortable, I don't care where I fall, percentile-wise. I'm just shooting for a certain comfort level, not a specific percentile.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:03 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
...The envious only show up after all the years of hard work when success has been attained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
.... but I will never forget the feeling of having $20 left to make it a week to the next paycheck, or having a car that I used to sit in and pray for it to start so I wasn’t late for work. I’m just thankful I was young, healthy and child free when I was broke.
People look now and might think, I'm so lucky.

Those same people never saw, me:
  • Apply for jobs like cigarette salesman, even though I didn't smoke.
  • Freezing by when taking the bus in Winter snow for 1.5 hours each way to and from work as I didn't have a car.
  • Ask my boss if I could sleep at work for 6 months so I didn't have to rent a place.
  • Live with my cardboard box coffee table and air mattress couch.
  • Take a job across the country for 6 months.
  • Live in my car.
  • Buy my clothes and kitchen stuff at Sally Ann because my life was improving.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
If you have a paid-for home in California or Hawaii you’re halfway there lol.
Not after the Federal capital gains tax plus NIIT plus California income tax hits them.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:32 PM   #173
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
People look now and might think, I'm so lucky.

Those same people never saw, me:
  • Apply for jobs like cigarette salesman, even though I didn't smoke.
  • Freezing by when taking the bus in Winter snow for 1.5 hours each way to and from work as I didn't have a car.
  • Ask my boss if I could sleep at work for 6 months so I didn't have to rent a place.
  • Live with my cardboard box coffee table and air mattress couch.
  • Take a job across the country for 6 months.
  • Live in my car.
  • Buy my clothes and kitchen stuff at Sally Ann because my life was improving.
Ah, the "good" old days. Here is my list:
* Hearing gunshots around me as I walked to the downtown train station for working a night shift to a gas station.
* Mugged on the road and robbed in the store.
* Almost died trying to catch a train to work so I don't have to wait for an hour in cold weather.
* Upgrading my furnishings from the (real) dump.
* Walking, bus, shuttles and trains to everywhere.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:42 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
I think these are a good reminder of just how good many of us have it. After a few unexpectedly good years, we fall into one of those higher brackets, but I will never forget the feeling of having $20 left to make it a week to the next paycheck, or having a car that I used to sit in and pray for it to start so I wasn’t late for work. I’m just thankful I was young, healthy and child free when I was broke.

Understanding that you’re in the top X%, even if it doesn’t feel like it, is a good reminder to give back.
Ohhhh so true !

Threads like these are a measuring stick and I like to see where I was and where I stand now with others. It really doesn't matter if in top 10% or 1% it is a gauge for me to see where I am at, for me and me only.

A great thread and everyone should be very proud of where they stack up percentage wise.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

Agreed, there is always going to some with more, some with less, some just trying to live and get by, some going broke keeping up with Jones with the biggest house, most expensive cars, most expensive toys and some just barely getting by. In the end it only matters how you are with your own family. Life is not supposed to be a race to see who can accumulate the most. My Dad (now long ago deceased) (2009) often said, "he never saw a moving van behind the hearse on the way to the graveyard." I don't worry about it at all, every one has to start somewhere and I am likely in the lower % but climbing and saving as well as we can given out budget and income. albeit kind of a late start but it's a start.
ERObjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:08 PM   #176

I take the view that the measure of my/our financial security has zero to do with how many people have more financial resources or how many have fewer financial resources that I have have.

It is all about me, not them, when it comes down to how financially secure I am given my lifestyle. Pride does not even come into this equation for us.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

We all have choices to open a thread or not to open a thread, if it is something we are interested in or not interested in.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:40 PM   #178

Quote:
I take the view that the measure of my/our financial security has zero to do with how many people have more financial resources or how many have fewer financial resources that I have have. ...
I take a peek at threads like this to gauge (unsuccessfully) how detached from reality I might be (if at all). A classic example of being detached from reality is when the newly-on-a-budget Queen of Versailles asked the supremely bored clerk at a rental car counter whether her rental car came with a driver .

Is financial insecurity the most common state for most Americans? If so, whose fault is this and what should be done about it (if anything). These questions rapidly become political and are thus beyond the scope of this website.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:59 PM   #179

Threads like this can have a profound societal impact. As an example, a list of 1%'s came in very handy during the French revolution.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:14 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

We only care about us. How much we need, how much we have, and what we want to do with our resources.

We could care less if we are in the top 1 percent, 2 percent, whatever. Does not make us feel good or bad.

Don't see the point of bothering with it, let alone what assets or annuitized cash flows to include in the number.
There is one person I constantly compare myself to and want to reach with regards to level of wealth- my future happily retired self. That is the benchmark I gauge myself.
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote