Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Never Have Another Car Payment!
Old 02-08-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Never Have Another Car Payment!

In another thread I started, someone said that paid off cars would need to be replaced at sometime (which is correct) however, make a paid off car work in your favor! here is what I mean (and I do this myself and it works)

I drive a 2001 Infiniti (paid cash for it approx 13K), I will drive this car for another 6 months or so, and then trade it in on another USED car and will be able to trade even (no out of pocket except $100 for paperwork) for a newer vehicle with less miles. By using this system, you can avoid EVER having a car pmt, and you get to trade vehicles every year. My suggestion to all would be to NEVER purchase a brand new vehicle because they depreciate so much in value., Remember the goal here is to RETIRE don't buy the fanct house and car just to say you have it, look at the goal. God Bless
scoopsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Never Have Another Car Payment!
Old 02-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Scoop, you're still having a hard time understanding inflation.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Scoop, I think this one needs a little more splaining.* For me at least
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

I'm confused. Since you're obviously using a dealer to conduct the trade, and they make a profit by giving you bottom dollar for your trade, and ask top dollar for their inventory, I fail to see how this works in your favor. If you figure that the trade-in/out spread is $500, then every trade you conduct yields a net loss of $500 in "car equity" in addition to the vehicle depreciation. There is no way around it- owning a car costs money.
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #5

scoop.

I don't see how this can work. You would have to trade down each time to a less luxurious car. Eventually you will be driving a Yugo. The cash you receive in trade can't be enough to buy a newer, lower milage car of the same quality.

Grumpy
Old 02-08-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

What's not to understand? First of all the key is owning the vehicle free and clear (paying cash for the initial car). I was driving a 1999 Jeep Wrangler that i paid cash for (13K), when gas was starting to go through the roof, I took my Jeep into the dealer and found a car that I liked (2001 Infiniti) and I traded out of the Jeep and into the Infiniti EVEN!! It cost me nothing ( except the $100 paperwork fee).

The reason that you trade so often is so that the car you are driving dosen't drop too much in value and the miles are keep pretty low. In the case I jusy explained, I was actually able to trade UP into a nicer vehicle with a few less miles. After a year or so the vehicle will still be holding pretty close to its value so you are able to trade for an equal car. Just trying to help guys, this is not theory, it is fact I have done it and will continue to do it.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Scoop.... a great idea that will not work...

Your car has a value and it will drop each year.... no way around that (excluding exotics of course)...

Now, your $13K investment is now maybe worth $8K or even $5K... so you can trade for a car that is worth something around that level... You can NOT get a NEWER CAR with LESS MILES that is WORTH MORE...

All you have said in your post is that your older jeep was worth more than a newer infinity since you traded even..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopsteve
What's not to understand? First of all the key is owning the vehicle free and clear (paying cash for the initial car). I was driving a 1999 Jeep Wrangler that i paid cash for (13K), when gas was starting to go through the roof, I took my Jeep into the dealer and found a car that I liked (2001 Infiniti) and I traded out of the Jeep and into the Infiniti EVEN!! It cost me nothing ( except the $100 paperwork fee).

The reason that you trade so often is so that the car you are driving dosen't drop too much in value and the miles are keep pretty low. In the case I jusy explained, I was actually able to trade UP into a nicer vehicle with a few less miles. After a year or so the vehicle will still be holding pretty close to its value so you are able to trade for an equal car. Just trying to help guys, this is not theory, it is fact I have done it and will continue to do it.
Are you trying to stay in vehicles that are only slightly used? *It sounds like your $13K will buy you less & less-- say, about 3-5% less each year. *Unless the car dealer is willing to eat the inflation to keep you coming back for that $100 transaction fee, in which case you seem to have a good deal at their expense. *I think that everyone on the board would love to get their cars through your dealer.

Or are you trying to minimize the money you spend on transportation? *An even cheaper method is one that's been mentioned on this board several times-- buy used and drive them into the ground. *The most we've ever paid for a car is $8100. *Our current vehicles are 12 & 9 years old and they still have less than 100K miles. *It's not luxury because we don't value it-- the object of our game is cheap no-frills transportation. *If that's your objective too then you can do better than the method you espouse.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Texas Pound,

It is your choice to think it will work or not however, I am telling you I have done it (by the way I live in Texas also). Again, just trying to help!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #10

Scoopsteve:

What was the transaction amount of the Wragler to Infiniti deal ?

Did you have to pay sales tax/registration etc. ?

Did you take out a big loan on the new car ??

Did you buy their long term warranty/ paint sealant/undercoating etc. ?

Was there anything about the Infiniti that was unusual ? Like it was a salvage car/ high milage car/ trashed car ?

- Your method defies common sense. Help us to understand it ?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

You don't get something for nothing. You can't base a method of getting newer cars on the fact that you've done a single trade.

If you're planning on driving cars and not spending money, its just not going to work. I've had people give me free money, but its not something I can plan on happening in the future. Maybe you found some car dealership that can't add, but the money is coming from somewhere. Either you ripped them off, or you're losing money in the deal and you just don't realize it yet.
HobbyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Scoop, you are not supposed to blab about the big secret of no car payments.

1. First car, a 1979 Civic.* I didn't have to buy it because I married someone who owned it.
2. In 1991, traded the Civic in for a 1989 Maxima.* I can't believe the dealer gave me a practically new car for $100 plus my old 200,000 mile-plus Civic trade-in.
3. In 2002, the Maxima was getting long in the tooth and had just been hit broadside by an errant driver.* *Nevertheless and unbelievably, the Lexus dealer just gave me a 2001 Lexus when I traded in the wrecked Maxima.* He did ask for the customary $100, but since the Lexus was used, I bargained him down to only $90.
4.* I'm already dreaming of my AMG E55, thinking of a 2007 that I'll get in 2008 for only a $100 and my old car.

Anyways, it's pretty easy to do this.* You just have to know the system.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I think you end up driving a donkey after 20 years on this plan.

Hee haw.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #14

I just like watching Master Blaster's avatar. *As the Joker said in Batman I..."Where does he get those wonderful toys?!"
Old 02-08-2006, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!

3. In 2002, the Maxima was getting long in the tooth and had just been hit broadside by an errant driver. Nevertheless and unbelievably, the Lexus dealer just gave me a 2001 Lexus when I traded in the wrecked Maxima. He did ask for the customary $100, but since the Lexus was used, I bargained him down to only $90.
LOL.

So, let me get this straight. A car dealer took a wrecked 13 year old Maxima in trade and for no cash just gave you a one year old Lexus? I assume that the dealer is no longer in business 'cause he would surely go broke doing deals like that. So when are you going to offer to sell me the Brooklyn bridge?

Grumpy
Old 02-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
LOL.

So, let me get this straight. A car dealer took a wrecked 13 year old Maxima in trade and for no cash just gave you a one year old Lexus? I assume that the dealer is no longer in business 'cause he would surely go broke doing deals like that. So when are you going to offer to sell me the Brooklyn bridge?

Grumpy
I thought he was being sarcastic...* *could be wrong.* If he was, he certainly forgot to use his [sarcasm][/sarcasm] html code.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

I tell you guys what, I will post here EXACTALY what takes place when I go to trade in the Infiniti. Let me make this clear, if you guys want to argue about wether or not it works, that is your choice. I just wanted to share something with you guys.

I guess you think it is un-reasonale to think that one can retire in 6-7 years if they are able to live off of half their income and are debt free right?? SHEESH!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have to agree with Steve...it will work...and here is my secret to retiring rich

Buy a stock... sell it in one year when it goes up 50% and then buy another stock that will go up 50% the next year...keep on doing that and in less than 20 years you can grow $100K to over $100 Million....jees...I should be charging you guys for this information....

Then you can have whatever car you want.

</sarcasm>
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:54 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Only one problem. I love my

BMW
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrMike
Only one problem. I love my

BMW
Good thing you've got a couple million in the bank to pay for the maintenance on that sucker
justin is offline   Reply With Quote