New Asset class (for me): Rare Colllectable

Dogcliff

Recycles dryer sheets
So when the story broke concerning the release and publication of the Vatican's Templar document “Processus Contra Templarios”, I did a bit of online sleuthing, translating and emailing in an effort to answer the question: So how do I get a copy? (You know, the old "you don't ask, you don't get" philosophy).

Go figger', a reply from Scrinium publishing house arrived yesterday, inviting me to choose a method of payment and authorization to do the deal. I must have been the first kid on my block to ask, so I guess I got!

Anyone know about how to keep a rare and special book? How about insurance value? Think ebay would be a good resale venue?

Wonder if I'll get a certificate of authenticity like I got with my Franklin Mint stuff?

p.s. Guess this makes me a Collectr (still can't spell it, though)!

dc

Last edited:
Powell's Books - Rare Book Basics
It might be worth it to call the guys and powell and talk with them about it. They are friendly & knowledgable. How much is it if you don't mind my asking?

The bigger question is will it continue to be rare? What's stopping the Vatican from printing more books seeing the demand - esp. when they see the book reselling for 2X the value.

-h

OMG an $8400 modern book!!??:eek:

I did see where they will limit the printing to 799 copies.....but at $8400 initially, just how many people could afford such a price?.....although collectors have been known to stretch for something they really want....keep us posted on how you do and thanks for bringing it up here :D

I have read articles about collectables beings an asset class. Non correllated to equities, 10% type long term returns.

The primary issue is liquidity- it may not be possible to liquidate for needed value within a reasonable timeframe to access money. No guarantee you could sell that book in 12 months and get "what it's worth to you" in time to pay bills next year.

Liquidity? I did not use next years entertainment budget for this. This is a long holding period, perhaps generational, asset.

dc

Yes, I think you are now officially a collector!

Whatcha gonna do? Put the all hallowed document on a prominent table/stand and then hover over it rubbing your hands together and chuckling wickedly?

LOL!

I think you caught some kind of bug!

Audrey

Time has passed...No room for it in my 'new' home (42' motorhome)...Anybody interested in purchasing it?

dc

I absolutely adore this thread!

I have stayed, and WILL stay away from "collectables" as an asset class for investing.

Due to the close coupling of collectables with the Greater Fool Theory.

I could never be assured that there would be a greater fool than me available at the right time! :D

Rare collectables that have LONG stood the test of time and have proven to be more than a fad -- be they antiques, rare coins, sports memorabilia, et cetera, do have a pretty adequate record as investments, or at least as stores of wealth. And they do have at least some value as somewhat noncorrelating assets to other traditional investments. That said, they come with their own set of issues. They often aren't extremely liquid, often have significant transactional costs when you buy and sell, they have storage and insurance concerns. All of these need to be considered.

That said, I consider this to be a hobby -- one that doesn't cost a lot in the long run if you know your stuff, since the money you spend tends to (mostly) hold its worth or even appreciate in value a little bit. But it's nothing like buying or selling a few hundred shares of a mutual fund. I used to collect rare coins, and I never considered it part of my "portfolio" though I did track its net worth. I pretty much got out of them what I paid for them, sometimes a bit more, so given I enjoyed doing it, it felt like more or less a "free" hobby. But not an investment. And people who indiscriminately buy without doing their homework, knowing the market, knowing how to appraise condition and estimate value, they are likely going to get creamed.

And of course, some collectibles haven't really had a long track record and more resemble tulips. Beanie Babies, anyone?

Last edited:
I'm in no hurry...that EBay listing has been up for years. I may consider that route. Only expect to break even at this point (if I'm lucky)! Did get at least 15 minutes of fun out of it, though!

Love the humor on this thread........all I've received from my collectibles is dust.

Yes, I think you are now officially a collector!

Whatcha gonna do? Put the all hallowed document on a prominent table/stand and then hover over it rubbing your hands together and chuckling wickedly?

LOL!

I think you caught some kind of bug!

Audrey
Did I really write that? LOL!

The Latin title must have made me think of an alchemist.

Last edited:
Oh, decisions, decisions...

Should I focus on Beanie Babies, or Start Trek collectible plates? Perhaps cookie jars, or little porcelain figures?

It's hard to know what will take off, and what will be the next Pet Rock. Hey, what are those going for these days?

Since my FIRE date got extended a little bit and I was little bit ahead of my number anyway, I took a long hard look at some alternative investments, recognising that these would be more for fun than for profit.

Rare early editions of some of my favourite books were on the list. In the end, I decided that the risk of damage in Hong Kong's high humidity wasn't something I could live with but I was very very tempted.

I own a couple of the 'Seckatary Hawkins' books: got one as a kid from my parents and just started collecting them. Became too easy when the Internet came along though. Not fun, any longer.

I'd be very careful, what exactly makes anything "collectable" really worth more in the future? Scarcity really, with 799 books at $8400 each will they sell just 100 or all 799 and if they sell all of them will they print more? Ever hear of the Franklin Mint? I know is is an apples to oranges comparison but that's basically what the FM did - they took orders and when everyone that wanted one was in they made that many. So who'll buy FM stuff one day, probably no one cuz everyone that wanted it was in from the beginning. I'll use antique/classic cars as an example - they are valuable not necessarily because they are old but they have unique features. Special engine, special handling packages, special exterior features, special options but in all cases these special cars were made in very very limited numbers. If you ever watched the Barrett-Jackson auction you know what I mean.

I'd be very careful, what exactly makes anything "collectable" really worth more in the future? Scarcity really, with 799 books at $8400 each will they sell just 100 or all 799 and if they sell all of them will they print more? Ever hear of the Franklin Mint? I know is is an apples to oranges comparison but that's basically what the FM did - they took orders and when everyone that wanted one was in they made that many. So who'll buy FM stuff one day, probably no one cuz everyone that wanted it was in from the beginning. I'll use antique/classic cars as an example - they are valuable not necessarily because they are old but they have unique features. Special engine, special handling packages, special exterior features, special options but in all cases these special cars were made in very very limited numbers. If you ever watched the Barrett-Jackson auction you know what I mean.

Just bought on a hunch...Dan Brown helped create much interest in all things Templar even as this book was being released. I think most went to libraries or Masons...

>>>>>Today only<<<>>>Free Shipping to the 1st caller<<<<<<<

Back
Top Bottom